Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!

Started by matt35mm, November 24, 2017, 07:59:23 PM

Tdog

Yeah I think he's said that!

I just go back and forth between the last stretch of The Master dragging or running smooth (the post motorcycle section).

With Vice I figured he might have convinced PTA to cut out more scenes.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Tdog on October 10, 2020, 10:03:09 AM
With Vice I figured he might have convinced PTA to cut out more scenes.

Zoinkz!

Tdog

I'm still watching! So Tichenor suggested to PTA that he write scenes with older H.W hence the last section of TWBB. Mega Zoinkz!

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on October 10, 2020, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on October 09, 2020, 11:48:22 PM
Possibly my favorite line in the Tichenor talk:

Quote"I'm always pushing Paul to put plot in his movies because he's great at characters and great at mood...but give me a story as well.  I'm that guy."

Yes, that stuck out to me as well. Clearly no coincidence that films he's worked on are deemed the most accessible/well liked by the general public.

Lol that cracked me up. Can Dylan just edit all of Paul's movies. Clearly he is a good influence.

Tdog

Quote from: kingfan011 on October 10, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Drill on October 10, 2020, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on October 09, 2020, 11:48:22 PM
Possibly my favorite line in the Tichenor talk:

Quote"I'm always pushing Paul to put plot in his movies because he's great at characters and great at mood...but give me a story as well.  I'm that guy."

Yes, that stuck out to me as well. Clearly no coincidence that films he's worked on are deemed the most accessible/well liked by the general public.

Lol that cracked me up. Can Dylan just edit all of Paul's movies. Clearly he is a good influence.

I'm with you man!

Alma

See I think the editing of The Master and Inherent Vice works really well with the type of film they are, and I guess he was looking for a different vibe with those. But yeah clearly Tichenor's contributions are major.

Drenk

My only issue with The Master is that the scene in Phoenix where Freddie beats somebody and becomes upset with Master is too cryptic, but maybe that was the intention? Something seems to be missing before the motorcycle scene. It goes from an idyllic moment between the two to bad blood. At least, I wish that they had included the scene in Back Beyond where Freddie accepts a prize and Master is the one looking at him.
Ascension.

Tdog

Quote from: Alma on October 10, 2020, 12:14:37 PM
See I think the editing of The Master and Inherent Vice works really well with the type of film they are, and I guess he was looking for a different vibe with those.

Yeah you are probably right. I make my previous comments despite the fact that I love both of those movies. The Master probably IS my favourite PTA movie just slightly ahead of TWBB. It's just a damn slippery movie at times and even though I endlessly adore it I still stand by my feelings that the post motorcycle section is a bit too loose.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drenk on October 09, 2020, 08:37:56 PM
I gather that he isn't editing Soggy Bottom, though.

Why do you gather that? I'm curious, I don't think I've seen anything that implied that but I may have missed it! I really hope he's on board.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 10, 2020, 03:14:27 PM

Why do you gather that? I'm curious, I don't think I've seen anything that implied that but I may have missed it! I really hope he's on board.

If he's currently working on a Marvel movie I don't see how he could be right now working on Soggy Bottom, but that's not certain.
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drenk on October 10, 2020, 03:23:58 PM
Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 10, 2020, 03:14:27 PM

If he's currently working on a Marvel movie I don't see how he could be right now working on Soggy Bottom, but that's not certain.

Ahh I guess I somehow didn't notice that but. I wonder if he'd be able to do it after? From the interview he clearly works from the very beginning, cutting and editing as they film. But maybe this'll be different? I'm an Alaskan bumpkin, I know absolutely zilch about how flexible these productions are.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Tdog

If any PTA movie seems like it would need to be cut as they are filming it would definitely be this one; taking into account the current circumstances of how they are working, gauging the need for reshoots, seeing if performances are working etc.

Alma

Phantom Thread online screening and Vicky Krieps interview, if anyone's a Metrograph member.

https://twitter.com/brofromanother/status/1329100965669183503

Alethia

FUCK I miss the Metrograph so much.   :yabbse-sad:

wilberfan

An unassuming little place, ain't it?  Yikes.  I guess what's inside is what counts.

She must be in line already for Soggy Bottom.