underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: RegularKarateI don't say "Let's have Chinese food", then when someone says "No, I want a cheeseburger" I go "Yeah... well that's really Chinese food"

Huh?   :roll:  :?:

Jeremy Blackman

Because they have cheeseburgers in China?

phil marlowe

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBecause they have cheeseburgers in China?
no, because chines food is just food, exactly like a cheeseburger.

i agree with rk.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: phil marlowe
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBecause they have cheeseburgers in China?
no, because chines food is just food, exactly like a cheeseburger.

Don't let Mr. Burgerking hear you say that...

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: godardianI guess I don't mind being obsolete, if that's what it comes to. As you know very well, JB, the consensus isn't nearly always right!  :twisted:

From what I know of language, if people are wrong on a large enough scale, they become right. That's really the only way spellings, pronounciations, and definitions change. It's kind of bleak, really.

That's true in a way, but I think there are enough of us (particularly in the UK where, as usual, they know their pop better than we do here) that there's no need to give up the ghost yet on the pop-music issue. I mean, if my choice comes down to throwing in the towel and participating in something I find atrocious just to avoid confusing people on one hand and on the other fighting the good fight and continuing to call things as I see them, whaddya think I'm gonna do?  8)

You're absolutely right, though, that it is bleak: This monolithic, grinding, completely duplicitious semiotic machine we call "language" really bends us to its will, even though we feel it should be the other way around. However, sometimes it's both important and liberating to try to throw whatever wrench you can into it. Oh, you can never destroy it- we depend on it for vital communication, we can't really think without words- but sometimes you can keep it from going all the way down a bad path.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: Sigur

....the person 'timberlake' is kind of queer

Unfortunately, I know way too many people who wish that were literally true.

Wishing Justin Timberlake was available for the boys = way OVERrated. I mean, come on; we already have George Michael around our necks.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Find Your Magali

The perfect pop confection you've probably never heard.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: godardianWishing Justin Timberlake was available for the boys = way OVERrated. I mean, come on; we already have George Michael around our necks.

True, true.

classical gas

I feel pop is two aspects of music now.  It's pop as in popular and pop as in bubblegum.  i'm sure this has already been said and discussed.  but really, if you get with the times, pop has become the bubblegum crap that we're forced to hear.  the times they are a'changin.  now anything that isn't pop is alternative.  i don't care to keep up.  why put labels on anything?  it's all very tasteless.  i prefer to acknowledge music as it is.  and saying that, justin timberlake sucks ass.   i'm sorry, i don't care if it's cool or uncool to like him, he sucks either way.  i likes what i likes.  i don't need any label on it.

NEON MERCURY

::thunder rattles, Earth shakes, tribal drums beating::
behold...the Godfather of under-rated pop music.....

.on a relaTed note.."Isn't it ironic that they were the originaters of the modern boy/pop band..but yet they are THE NEW kids on the block.."
... :turn-l:

Find Your Magali

Hey, it's the guy from "Band of Brothers"! ... Omigod, omigod, omigod!!!!

pinkerton310

Quote from: themodernage02

Fountains of Wayne have been confirmed to appear on the Sharon Osbourne Show. Taping is set for Nov. 10 ... airdate Nov. 12.

Can you dig the FOW?
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

Vile5

i always thought George Michael was underrated, ok when he started he was almost pathetic but then he really matured as artist, now i think he could give some classes of good music to Robbie Williams or Timberlake , Michael is awesome! his album Older is a perfect example of what i say, he mix Jazz, Rhythm & Blues and BossaNova in his music, and the result are beautiful "pop" songs...

But talking about pop, do you remember 80's??
what about:
Naked Eyes,
Genesis,
Duran Duran,
Tears for Fears,
Pet Shop Boys,
INXS
Human League
Simple Minds (are they pop?)
Eurythmics
Pet Shop Boys
even Erasure!

i like 80's pop very much, maybe because these bands make me remind my childhood, i don't know, but i really like them
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Kev Hoffman

Why must pop music be redefined if it is discussed?  We all, obviously, interpret pop music as something different.  JB's intent was obviously to take your interpretation of everything "pop" and come up with some musicians/bands/songs that you think are underrated in the public eye.  Fact is, there is no true definition of pop...it's style can be many.  Just my opinion.

Ready, set, discuss...