David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

cine

Maybe he'll reach puberty by his fifth movie.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Thrindle

Quote from: CinephileMaybe he'll reach puberty by his fifth movie.  :yabbse-thumbup:
Does this mean I'm a pedophile again?   :|
Classic.

analogzombie

For the stone cold suthern' playas like myself, DGG will be speaking at the University of Georgia's Tate center at 3pm on Tuesday October 26. There will be a special screening of Undertow and George Washington the day before (that's monday the 25th folks) beginning at 12pm.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

cowboykurtis

only have seen all the real girls -- i sought it out after relentless ranting ont his site -- i must have missed something -- it was good -- but i was a bit let down after all the hoopla around the film -- good, by no means the brilliant masterwork many made it out ot be
...your excuses are your own...

BitchassJesus

David Green made his massuhpiece when he directed 'Buster' starring Phil Collins.  All the Real Girls can suck all the real dicks.  And he is a great southpaw quarterback the Georgia Bulldogs; he'll probably win the Heisman, but there's no way he'll win a goddamn thing for the Billy Elliot sequel, 'Undertow.'

ono

Quote from: cowboykurtisonly have seen all the real girls -- i sought it out after relentless ranting ont his site -- i must have missed something -- it was good -- but i was a bit let down after all the hoopla around the film -- good, by no means the brilliant masterwork many made it out ot be
The ranting was perpetuated pretty much by one person here, and a few others who agreed for various reasons (having to do with, I don't know, I'm guessing how cute Zooey Deschanel was, or how great the cinematography was, or how like Malick's work the film is, poetic and all).  So you're right, All the Real Girls is incredibly overpraised.  George Washington is a much better film (with a much worse title).  You should probably check it out and then make your judgment on DGG.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: analogzombieFor the stone cold suthern' playas like myself, DGG will be speaking at the University of Georgia's Tate center at 3pm on Tuesday October 26. There will be a special screening of Undertow and George Washington the day before (that's monday the 25th folks) beginning at 12pm.
Goddammit. So close, and yet so far. Why can't he make it the weekend? :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Thrindle

Quote from: ono.
Quote from: cowboykurtisonly have seen all the real girls -- i sought it out after relentless ranting ont his site -- i must have missed something -- it was good -- but i was a bit let down after all the hoopla around the film -- good, by no means the brilliant masterwork many made it out ot be
The ranting was perpetuated pretty much by one person here, and a few others who agreed for various reasons (having to do with, I don't know, I'm guessing how cute Zooey Deschanel was, or how great the cinematography was, or how like Malick's work the film is, poetic and all).  So you're right, All the Real Girls is incredibly overpraised.  George Washington is a much better film (with a much worse title).  You should probably check it out and then make your judgment on DGG.
What person would that be?  8)
Classic.

ono

He who shall not be named.

SoNowThen

All The Real Girls was brilliance. Come off it.

Anyway, saw Undertow today. Don't really know what to think about it -- needs mulling over. Probably my least fav of his so far, but by no means bad or anything. Got to meet David and DP Tim after the screening. I'm quite surprised at how bashful I get when I meet heroes... but I got to talk to Tim about scouting and (not) lighting exterior locations. Pretty cool stuff...

Best thing DGG said at the Q&A, when asked about his crewing process:

"I'll pretty much hire the least qualified guy, if he has cool taste in music. We always get these guys who have great resumes, and they're all pricks. I don't wanna be around them when I'm filming."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Quote from: SoNowThen

"I'll pretty much hire the least qualified guy, if he has cool taste in music. We always get these guys who have great resumes, and they're all pricks. I don't wanna be around them when I'm filming."

That's so awesome. Man, I admire him even more now.

MacGuffin

Scott Camps Out with Universal Comedy

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride will write an untitled comedy for Universal Pictures that will serve as a starring vehicle for Seann William Scott, who is best known for the "American Pie" movies.

The story will follow a misguided, twentysomething slacker (Scott) who hopes to relive the glory days of youth as he applies to be a counselor at a summer camp. Expecting panty raids and food fights, the guy is shocked to find out that the camp is for uptight young geniuses on a quest for intellectual growth.

The comedy is based on a pitch by Scott and producing partner Graham Larson, who will produce the film through their Identity Films.

Scott and Larson, who are based on the Universal lot, targeted Green to write the script on the strength of his work as writer-director of 2000's "George Washington" and 2003's "All the Real Girls." McBride acted in "Girls" and was second unit director on "Washington." Green also wrote and directed the current release "Undertow," starring Jamie Bell and Josh Lucas.

Besides the three "American Pie" features, Scott's credits include "The Rundown" and "Old School." Among his upcoming films is "The Dukes of Hazzard," in which he stars as Bo Duke.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Awhile ago I was at the video store and this pretty girl was renting george washington and i told her how it was a great movie and so on, and we started talking and she invited me to her apartment cause she said she had all these cool dvds so i went and she showed me her tattoos.

Anyways, moral of the story is. I SMASHED.  8)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Enough about the girl, what were her "DVDs" like?

Stefen

Quote from: wantautopia?Enough about the girl, what were her "DVDs" like?

Not very good to tell you the truth. It was alot of stuff that you find for like $12.97 in the "Great Prices!" display at wal-mart (plug)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.