The 85th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, August 02, 2012, 07:59:51 PM

72teeth

He's in still character for I'm Still Bored.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

Cloudy

I think the biggest laugh I've had while watching the Oscar's was when Michelle Obama presented "ARGO" as best picture.
Quote from: Reelist on February 24, 2013, 10:56:42 PM
Argo fuck yourself

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Reelist on February 24, 2013, 08:44:16 PM
Joaquin is the boredest lookin motherfucker I've ever seen

Joaquin ran out of "fucks" many years ago.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Kellen

Gold Trumpet

For me, Argo is a 3 and half star effort that is very good and all, but has no reason being up for awards. It's better than the Artist which is actually just a bad film. Day Lewis and Ang Lee winning were highlights. Otherwise, couldn't give a shit.

Gold Trumpet

Scratch that, also enjoyed Haneke up there for Amour. He's a legend. Just need to finally watch that film!

polkablues

Just realized that Argo won best picture without having its director nominated nor having a nominee in any acting category.  That has to be exceedingly rare.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

BB

Quote from: polkablues on February 25, 2013, 12:15:23 AM
Just realized that Argo won best picture without having its director nominated nor having a nominee in any acting category.  That has to be exceedingly rare.

Alan Arkin was nominated for Supporting Role. But still, yes, rare. It might even be a first. 

Rooty Poots

Quote from: BB on February 25, 2013, 02:52:52 AM

Alan Arkin was nominated for Supporting Role. But still, yes, rare. It might even be a first.

Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture in 1989 but wasn't nominated for Best Director. (It did however get a total of 9 nominations in many categories.)
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Lottery

Rubbishly rubbish.

Quote from: Reelist on February 24, 2013, 08:44:16 PM
Joaquin is the boredest lookin motherfucker I've ever seen

He looks pretty happy to me.

polkablues

Quote from: BB on February 25, 2013, 02:52:52 AM

Oops, missed that.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

I know we say this every year but last night's show was one of the most boring and uninspired Oscars I can remember.

Pubrick

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 24, 2013, 11:50:39 PM
the Artist which is actually just a bad film.

holy shit i don't think i've ever agreed so strongly with you before.

my highlights:

1. ang lee.. did you see spielberg's face? it was like he turned to stone. you could see him trying to process what was happening, maybe he thought he would win, maybe he thought benjamin would win, but he definitely didn't seem to think ang lee should win. but at the core of his reaction (ok so i was just transfixed by spielberg, does the man ever AGE?) he kinda sort of always knew that Ang Lee  REALLY DID  quietly and humbly and fucking incredibly accomplish the greatest achievement of the year in directing on Life of Pi. have you freaks seen the film? PTA is doing something special, no doubt, and of course he's the best director alive today, but what Ang Lee does with every film is fail miserably or succeed miraculously. HE should have been giving the speech Benjamin gave about getting back up.. Taking Woodstock is honestly one of the worst movies ever made, it is just utterly forgettable stupid bullshit.

one last word on life of pi since i never formally reviewed it.. i think the film is flawed in its performances, the framing device is weak and the entire construct of the story crumbles because of it, but the dream is ALIVE in that film. other directors must look at Ang Lee and be frightened, he doesn't seem to break a sweat, his smile suggests impossibly that he could NEVER hold a grudge. benjamin is up there crying because he made a bunch of shit films but Ang Lee made real honest to studio-gods disappointments. Life of Pi is not going to be remembered for making you "believe in God" but for its unparalleled beauty and its effortless ambition and belief in the human spirit as represented by filmmaking. Ang Lee knows the truth of Kubrick's final piece of advice, he is not afraid to be burnt (with something as shit as Taking Woodstock he practically self immolated) but most importantly he has always managed to build better wings.

2. this is the most likeable Seth MacFarlane has ever been. actually the only time he's ever been likeable. favourite joke of the night was "cocaine trees as far as the eye could see."

3. short film winners are always the best part of the show. but Joaquin Phoenix shaking his head (see above) was by far the best performance of the night. his few shots were more award worthy than bloody lincoln.

LOWLIGHTS/WTF?

aka the most cringe inducing television since Kramer apologised

1. Jennier Lawrence. what in the fuck were they thinking? it makes NO sense. she must've got it by one vote. she's a fine actress, but who will even remember that film let alone her performance in 2 months time? i know, who cares. i just.. even to the people who care, whom we have to presume are the people actually voting/attending the awards themselves, this must be baffling. i always thought she was mind alteringly beautiful, is that what happened here? or was it a calculated effort to make her give up acting? *see embarrassingly unwelcome presenters Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellwegger.

2. Anne Hathaway saying "wow it came true"... UGH that was cringe. someone should have run up and said "nah.. sorry we made a mistake, that made us feel so embarrassed for you that you definitely do not deserve this award for acting.. what were we thinking, i guess we don't take the actress category very seriously, just wait for leading actress and you'll see what we mean. " -- says the collective academy.

3. As cloudy mentioned, Michelle Obama saying "argo". i was certain that it was going to go to one of the slavery movies, why else would they have her there?

Adele sung like shit too. bleeegh.

oh and the ending of ALL the best pic nominees being spoiled in their little trailer clips.
under the paving stones.