Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

WorldForgot

Writing about cinema iz itself a trip so analyzing the structure for the structure, layerz. I've been frequenting boards for two decades and discussing its gestalt in this moment when megaboards have mutated toward immediacy brings insight, knowing the time you've put into Xixax. Relationships with interfaces are complex and this was a neat snapshot.

Personally don't know if I had thought of The Vault that way much, like my mind would have jumped to "What Films Are We Watching?" cuz perhaps I thought the Vault was the trickle down from [previous year in film] in a compendium. Not sure - but the distinction against the endless scroll makes sense. And the synergy of each user's reading of the interface.  Don't know what drives the distinction per new-thread, neat to consider, and those branches of thought also lead me to like, Real Life Soundtracks, which would probably benefit from a larger frequent user base since it's foremost a cinema/PTA board? Hmm.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 02, 2021, 06:07:45 PM
We do need a new name for DVD Talk. Suggestions welcome!

Do You Have Holly Does Hollywood?
subtitle : "Ya, VHS, whatever you want. 1/2 inch, 3/4, beta. "

Or

Shelves & the Web
subtitle : "Cinema tomes and the instant ."

idk I'll keep mulling it over in case there's a poll or however, this is like, all I can contribute beyond appreciation for both board and its peeps.

Jeremy Blackman

Going off the "Shelves & the Web" structure, although reversed, how about this?

Digital Streams & Polycarbonate Dreams

Or if that's too weird, perhaps a variation.

Jeremy Blackman

The site will probably be going down for emergency maintenance today. Got an email this morning: "The server you are currently being hosted on requires immediate replacement."

Sounds like things should be transferred automatically, but if there are any hiccups, the host's tech support has been excellent in the past. (Although if there is a problem, they may be swamped.) Fingers crossed.

One highlight from the email:

QuoteYou may experience downtime in all services (https, email, FTP, DNS, etc.) during the transfer process. We do our best to keep it to a minimum by employing advanced technologies such as having our servers proxy your data and requests between each other.

Due to the nature of this unexpected move/emergency maintenance, we're unfortunately unable to give you an exact timeframe - for which we offer our sincere apologies. However, we expect to move your account tonight.

Thank you for your understanding and we wish you a great day!

Jeremy Blackman

Looks like the transfer has been done. When I brought up xixax.com I was forwarded to a page telling me to reset my computer's DNS cache. Anyone else?

I'd rather not that be a requirement to access the site again, so I'll contact tech support, but they're not up and running yet.

On the plus side, the site definitely seems faster now.

wilberfan

Considering we rarely miss the water until the well runs dry, is there an established donation methodology to keep things running smoothly--or otherwise support the endeavor?   There was a paypal link in another post, but that doesn't seem to be working any longer...

WorldForgot

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 11, 2021, 03:37:46 PM
Looks like the transfer has been done. When I brought up xixax.com I was forwarded to a page telling me to reset my computer's DNS cache. Anyone else?

Me too ~ simple enuff to get around though.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilberfan on August 11, 2021, 04:33:32 PM
Considering we rarely miss the water until the well runs dry, is there an established donation methodology to keep things running smoothly--or otherwise support the endeavor?   There was a paypal link in another post, but that doesn't seem to be working any longer...

Should be working now. Thanks!

http://paypal.me/xixax

Jeremy Blackman

Got a response from support. I guess this explains why it wasn't really an issue.

No, there is unfortunately no way around that.

This will usually update itself automatically after about an hour though (TTL), and usually without flushing the cache or rebooting, but some providers have rather aggressive caching; making it take longer.

Worst case scenario is usually +/- 24 hours, but fortunately that's very rare these days.

Jeremy Blackman

By popular demand, here's our current smiley code:

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

Jeremy Blackman

Our current web host is ceasing operations at the end of February. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll transfer us to a new host. It should go like this:

1. Do a full backup
2. Put the current forum in maintenance mode, disabling it
3. Do the transfer
4. Connect the new host with our domain

Depending on how responsive their support is, this could take hours or days. If it does take a while and you want an update, you have a few options:

- Patience (not ideal)
- Email me at xixaxfilmforum@gmail.com
- See updates on Discord

I encourage people to join the Discord or at least save the invite link:

https://discord.gg/YytYDuvbMt

Jeremy Blackman

The migration is done, and things seem to be working! Please let me know if you run into any issues.

wilberfan

I just tried to edit a post--and got a 403 Forbidden...

Jeremy Blackman

Strange. I was able to edit your post, and this one.

Jeremy Blackman

I enabled two new built-in systems:

I love the Mentions system.

The Likes system seems innocuous enough, and maybe actually kind of useful? I recently said Likes might be good if they give you alerts (and you don't have to pathetically go back and look at your posts). Well, that seems to be the case.

Still, the Likes system can be on the chopping block if people feel it's too weird or toxic or whatever.

Configure alerts from the top menu! Otherwise you may get some unwanted emails.

Now to test out mentions on an unsuspecting victim...

@wilberfan