PTA likes to use different black guys...

Started by thedog, February 26, 2004, 12:33:52 AM

analogzombie

It's an interesting idea but I do not think it means that much. I just don't think PTA is preoccupied with the idea of race at all. He casts race to support a role, he doesn't create a role to support a race. Maybe he's guilty of subconcious steretyping but I wouldn't call it rascist. What I mean is, maybe he says to himself 'Okay, there is a murder in a slum of a woman's abusive boyfriend. ok slum, ok black kid." maybe he casts black characters as criminals b/c that's the message our societys ets. we carry that with us subconciously. But I don't really think that's it. I just don't think it concerns him too much. Don Cheadle is a bad example if you ask me b/c he is the most sympathetic character in Boogie Nights. His one moment of theft is not to show he's black so he steals. It's to show the lengths this sympathetic character will go to, to support his family when he is unfairly persecuted. And it's not like all the criminals in PTA films are black. Sydney is a gangster, Melora Walters is a coke head in Magnolia, William H. Macy robs his employer, the rednecks in PDL who assault Barry, Alfred Molena in Boogie Nights etc... I don't think PTA considers race in any way other than if it fits for the character's background in the story. He wanted to show an interracial relationship in Boogie Nights so one character had to be black etc... I really don't think he holds any prejudices. He doesn't concern himself with race as a filmmaker and he shouldn't. It's true their are not too many black characters in his films but so what. He grew up in the valley, he writes what he knows. And after all it's not like he's beholden to cast racially equal movies, that's silly.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

thedog

more like the truest thing you've ever heard.

cine

No wonder PTA deleted the restaurant washroom scene in Punch-Drunk Love where Phil LaMarr steals Sandler's wallet.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

this is one of the best threads of all time.

so to update:

Quote from: thedog on February 26, 2004, 12:33:52 AM
black guy in PTA movies:
Hard Eight - Sam Jackson
Boogie Nights - Don Cheadle
Magnolia - Orlando Jones (SCENES DELETED)
Punch Drunk Love - No black guy

Chere Mill Be Blood - no black guy

Cry-Babies
Hard Eight - John C Reily, Philip Baker Hall (SCENE DELETED)
Boogie Nights - Mark Walberg
Magnolia - John C Reily, Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour Hofman (Magnolia is the Godfather of PTA crying movies)
Punch Drunk Love - Adam Sandler

CMBB - Paul Dano

It's pretty safe to say that PTA is still a racist.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

And with The Master (Masty?) being about Scientology, and Isaac Hayes being dead, I think it's safe to say the string of blacklessness will be extended to three.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kellen

Robyn

RegularKarate

The title might change so maybe it's Moot, but I think it could be "Ma"... pronounced like you would call your mother.

This way we can discuss the similarities between Mag and Ma.

Fernando

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 23, 2010, 10:15:53 AM
This way we can discuss the similarities between Mag and Ma.

that could be useful in the future. ººoh dudes, yesterday I saw a double feature of magma, it was magmanificent!ºº

Tictacbk

Based on this thread I think we should go with "Massuh."

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.