Best commercials

Started by ©brad, February 09, 2003, 09:39:45 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Lesterthe Beetle commercial where the guy keeps going into work and all that

Yeah, that has to be one of my favorites (VW is always good with commercials though). The 1984 ad is a classic (I'm sure you can find that at Apple fan sites (that's funny, ever see any Microsoft fan sites?), and of course one of my all-time favorites is the Nike Y2K ad (altough I hate Nike), where a guy is jogging through the apocalypse.

And thanks for the Splode commercial! Everyone should download that... it's a classic.

Rudie Obias

i like the "mr. blue sky" by ELO VW beetle convertible commercial.  the only time i was thrown off by a commercial.  i first saw it in a movie theater and i actually thought it was a trailer for a new movie.  i was like "what the hell is this?", "i wonder who directed this movie", "this looks good, i'm definately gonna see this movie", then "holy shit!!!  it's a fuckin' commercial!!", "what a great commercail!?!".  so i went to the movie a lot that week just to see that commercial again.

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

bonanzataz

VW always has great commercials.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Who had that animated Shady Milkman commercial a few years back? That was hilarious.

I love the way a lot of commercials are getting more artistic, and using good music (Air, Nick Drake, etc.) I don't mind my favorite musicians being used to sell products as long as a.) the product isn't something horribly offensive and b.) the commercials are well made.

bonanzataz

i like these commercials for dairy queen where the guy is talking to the camera with a weird speech impediment, lisp type thing, about how he has this accident and they flash back to it and he gets his tongue caught in the electric mixers licking off the brownie batter. that's funny.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ono

Agreed.  Cracks me up every time I see it.

Jeremy Blackman

We're now hosting 2 of the "truth" commercials. They may be taken down soon.

There are two others from this series... I used to have them, but I don't think they're available anywhere now. If anybody knows where to find them, please tell me. One is a car rental ad, the other is an acne cream ad.

Another working link for Splode:

EDIT: Ad Critic has the ads! They're called "Tru-Ride" and "RidaZit." But you have to subscribe. Anybody subscribed?

pete

any IKEA ad is funny, especially the european ones.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Tictacbk

my roommate just showed me this article...i thought it was interesting and somewhat depressing enough to post for other people to read.  Our generation's literature is Gieco ads...

http://www.jsonline.com/enter/tvradio/mar05/313387.asp

Ravi

I'd watch Tiny House.  And the caveman adds are pretty funny.  Not that I'd ever call GEICO.

Gamblour.

Great article, nothing really new except the cnn.com commercials. I didn't cnn had good commercials.
WWPTAD?

Weird. Oh

Quote from: RaviI'd watch Tiny House.  And the caveman adds are pretty funny.  Not that I'd ever call GEICO.

I swear to God I thought Tiny House was an actual series because the first time I saw it was on Fox and the voice over guy sounds like the Fox promo guy and I was dying when the guy tries to score with his wife and he slams his bed. That would be a great show.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Ravi

Quote from: The Scat Revision
Quote from: RaviI'd watch Tiny House.  And the caveman adds are pretty funny.  Not that I'd ever call GEICO.

I swear to God I thought Tiny House was an actual series because the first time I saw it was on Fox and the voice over guy sounds like the Fox promo guy and I was dying when the guy tries to score with his wife and he slams his bed. That would be a great show.

I thought so too.  Then I was disappointed when it turned out to be a GEICO commercial.  He's trying to get it on in the little bed and she says, "Are you kidding me?!"

xerxes

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza