Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

WorldForgot

kingfan011

Since you mentioned it I have to ask did he say anything about Soggy?

wilberfan

[edit] TL;DR   No. 

He didn't offer, and I sort of instinctively know not to pry too hard.   In retrospect, I might have asked if he has heard how post-production is going and/or if he's heard any rumors of a crew screening--but it's unlikely someone in the camera dept would be privy to any of that stuff.

(The one question I beat myself up for NOT asking!:  "Is your brother editing this one?")   :doh:

I joked that we should have recognized each other, since I had visited locations so often.  He counter-joked that without our masks, no one would recognize anyone since then...  :yabbse-grin:  (He's not wrong.  He's the only one that noticed the Soggy-related item I was wearing,too.)

I didn't know his lineage during our main conversation out on the sidewalk--just that he'd worked on several PTAs since PDL.  I only pieced it together a couple of minutes later after searching the crew credits.  He looks just like his brother, too.  That should have clued me much sooner.  He and his now-wife had just started dating at the time of PDL.  She was very impressed he was working on a PTA, she being quite the PTA fan at the time herself.

kingfan011

Quote from: wilberfan on July 11, 2021, 01:02:52 PM
[edit] TL;DR   No. 

He didn't offer, and I sort of instinctively know not to pry too hard.   In retrospect, I might have asked if he has heard how post-production is going and/or if he's heard any rumors of a crew screening--but it's unlikely someone in the camera dept would be privy to any of that stuff.

(The one question I beat myself up for NOT asking!:  "Is your brother editing this one?")   :doh:

I joked that we should have recognized each other, since I had visited locations so often.  He counter-joked that without our masks, no one would recognize anyone since then...  :yabbse-grin:  (He's not wrong.  He's the only one that noticed the Soggy-related item I was wearing,too.)

I didn't know his lineage during our main conversation out on the sidewalk--just that he'd worked on several PTAs since PDL.  I only pieced it together a couple of minutes later after searching the crew credits.  He looks just like his brother, too.  That should have clued me much sooner.  He and his now-wife had just started dating at the time of PDL.  She was very impressed he was working on a PTA, she being quite the PTA fan at the time herself.

Got it I figured

wilberfan

Lots of Bees

Just watched on HBO Max, for some reason the scene where he's walking up to the Mattress Man store is completely silent? I'm not crazy right, "Lonely Blue Boy" is supposed to be playing there? Is this just me or a weird HBO Max thing, why would that be

Alethia

Yep, Lonely Blue Boy is definitely supposed to be there, then carries over into the interior as source music.

wilberfan

Aren't music rights the bane of releasing movies on future media?  Has to be related to that somehow?

Lots of Bees

Quote from: eward on October 03, 2021, 10:33:38 PM
Yep, Lonely Blue Boy is definitely supposed to be there, then carries over into the interior as source music.

It's funny cause I noticed I could sort of hear it in the background during the confrontation scene, but very soft. Like they tried to dim it or remove it without being able to fully do it without messing with the dialogue. And as for the rights thing, yeah, that must be it. But it's so strange to me that they could just release a movie on their platform without having the rights to all the songs in it. Not like that song is an insanely crucial part of the movie or anything, but weird that people watching for the first time on HBO Max just have no idea the song is even in the movie. Also makes me question other things I've seen on streaming services, how many times have I watched something that is lacking something memorable/arguably important like that.

wilberfan

19th Anniversary today of the release of PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE.  (Oct 11, 2002.)

Alethia

Yes

Boogie's 24th anniversary few days ago, PDL today... what a month.

I first watched PDL after Blood came out. I was a major fan of Sandler and vividly remember the weird TV ads for it, but never got around to it. Ironically, the Magnolia TV spots and trailers were ingrained in my memory as well for almost 10 years. And I of course knew what Boogie Nights was. But the Oscar buzz and hype for Blood made me check it out immediately. After that, I plunged right into PTA's work and the rest is history.

Good timing because the following year after my deep dive was when The Master was announced (2009). I read the leaked script around then, too. Although it was a long wait that payed off, it was perfect time to become a fan.

PDL had a major impact on me. Never experienced a depiction of loneliness like that for a mainstream film. The colors, the music, the "He Needs Me" scene.. I was hooked

wilberfan

Quote from: Yes on October 11, 2021, 04:37:16 PM
PDL had a major impact on me. Never experienced a depiction of loneliness like that for a mainstream film. The colors, the music, the "He Needs Me" scene.. I was hooked

After Boogie and Magnolia, seeing PDL absolutely sealed my fate in terms of PTA Fandom.   It was both comforting and DIScomforting to see how much of myself was embodied in Barry.   I knew exactly what he was feeling--because I had felt much of it myself at certain points in my life.