Nightmare Alley

WorldForgot · 7 · 227

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
on: September 14, 2021, 12:47:51 PM
?s=21

Currently slated for December 17th, 2021

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/09/nightmare-alley-guillermo-del-toro-awards-insider

“That is a distinct possibility,” del Toro tells Vanity Fair. “It has happened to me in the past with Crimson Peak, where people went in expecting a horror movie. I knew it was a gothic romance but it was very difficult to put that across. But yes, this has no supernatural element. It’s based completely in a reality world. There is nothing fantastic. It’s a very different movie from my usual, but yes, the title and my name would create that [impression].”

There are still monsters in this film, out December 3, but these are all human beings: glamorous, elegant, and more alluring than off-putting. Maybe that makes them even more dangerous. Bradley Cooper stars as Stanton Carlisle, a former carnival worker who becomes a big-city star as a nightclub performer, using cold-reading tricks he picked up in the sideshow to create the impression he is a powerful mind reader. Now the marks and rubes he targets are millionaires. Cate Blanchett plays Dr. Lilith Ritter, a psychiatrist who first tries to expose him as a charlatan, then becomes embroiled in his schemes.

[...]

Nightmare Alley is based on a 1946 novel by William Lindsay Gresham, made previously into a gritty 1947 film starring Tyrone Power. Del Toro says his screenplay with Kim Morgan is drawn from the page rather than the screen, which required heavy reworking. “From the beginning, our interest was to go for the novel, but it’s almost impossible to adapt because it has a very kaleidoscopic, very peculiar voice. You would need a six-hour miniseries and shifting points of view, and this and that,” del Toro says. “We started from the novel, and didn’t want to do a remake as much as a new adaptation.”

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 05:38:15 PM

and the first adaptation of the novel:

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:39:51 PM
MCU lightning.
Ascension.

Find Your Magali

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 06:57:45 PM
The Nightmare Alley trailer is visually stunning, which comes as no surprise. It's like Pan's Labyrinth meets the Coen brothers meets Something Wicked This Way Comes.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:25:15 AM
Oh cool, it's that dark and gritty "Water for Elephants" reboot we've all been clamoring for.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alma

• The Vision Quest
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 04:39:56 AM
Still excited for this but I much prefer the way his older films look, not sure about the sheen his last few have - I guess it's since he switched to digital?

RudyBlatnoyd

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 05:30:33 PM
Digital cinematography, when deployed appropriately, can be utilised inventively and beautifully – just look at Michael Mann's work – but when it's used to try to recreate the look of genres from cinema history, like film noir, that owe their aesthetic to the particular qualities of film stock, it is almost invariably disappointing.