Recasting Paul Thomas Anderson films

Started by Freddie Dodd, August 13, 2020, 01:14:03 AM

Fuzzy Dunlop

John Candy wasn't alive in 97 but let's say he was - if he were to be in the PTAverse, here's where I'd put him:

Sydney (1980): Young Man At Craps Table
Boogie Nights (2008): The Colonel
Magnolia (1989): Jim Kurring
Punch-Drunk Love (1984): Lance
There Will Be Blood (1992): Henry
The Master (2012): John Moore
Inherent Vice (1999): Smilax
Phantom Thread (2005): (scenes deleted)

In an interview once, Paul mentioned that he would have loved to work with Chris Farley. I'm convinced that had he survived, he would have been at least nominated for an Oscar by now, either in one of PTA's movies or something else. Here are my Farley swaps:

Sydney (1993): John
Boogie Nights (2001): Rahad Jackson
Magnolia (1999): Jim Kurring
Punch Drunk Love (2002): Barry Egan
There Will Be Blood (1991): Paul F Tompkins
The Master (2006): Freddie
Inherent Vice (2008): Bigfoot
Phantom Thread (n/a - scenes deleted)

jenkins

oh? hm. it is your imagination after all

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: polkablues on September 07, 2020, 03:47:18 AM
So many things here that I hate so much, but this is pretty good:

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on September 07, 2020, 12:56:39 AM
Punch Drunk Love (1973):

Dustin Hoffman as Barry Egan (Adam Sandler)
Lynn Redgrave as Lena Leonard ( Emily Watson)
Gene Wilder as Dean Trumbell (Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

(Should be Sissy Spacek as Lena, though)

Care to share the miscasting choices here? Just remember that the casting choices aren't handpick by me but by the forum members on Awardsworthy. Given my fascination with alternative history I tend to be interested in the what-if of historical artifacts, which applies to entertainment and specifically the movie industry

Also would agree with Spacek being a good choice, and I think Hal Ashby or Robert Altman would make a good fit for the material, even if I think Mike Nichols would be the alt director in this scenario. It might just be the Hoffman casting that is making me lean towards that direction.

wilberfan

Tdog

Alma

These got progressively weirder as they went down. DDL as Jack Horner? Amazing. The Nicole Kidman suggestion is a bit strange as well as she's a similar age to Moore.

jviness02

The first few choices are actually pretty darn good, but Holland as Dirk is terrible. DDL as Jack is weird, but I'm sure DDL could do it. Nicole Kidman is like 15 years older than Julianne Moore was when she was in Boogie Nights, but Amber Waves being in her early 50s instead of late 30s could probably work since she's the motherly figure.

Drenk

Ascension.

wilberfan

Alana as Rollergirl, Danielle as Jessie St Vincent, Este as Dirk's mom.

Alethia