Uncut Gems

Started by wilder, September 24, 2019, 08:39:00 AM

wilberfan

How 'Uncut Gems' and Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Punch-Drunk Love' Function as Unlikely Companion Pieces

QuoteWith Uncut Gems now in theaters, the Safdie's appreciation of Punch-Drunk Love is bound to become a frequent talking point. Sandler's performance as jeweler Harry Ratner is already garnering Academy Award buzz – or, at the bare minimum, outrage about its Golden Globe snub – and the Safdie brothers seem poised to cross over to mainstream audiences in a way that not even the Robert Pattinson-starring Good Time could make happen. And yet, despite a well-documented love for Anderson's film, both Josh and Benny Safdie are quick to point out that any parallels between the two features are less overt than they may seem.

(Discussion with spoilers at link).   

Drenk

There's a spoiler about The Weeknd that isn't really a spoiler, if you want my opinion.

Ascension.

Alethia

jenkins

oh, shit. we could've all been together on this one except i'm the problem. swear to god that i don't like conspire to do this

um i just wanna s/o to the Ronald Bronstein component within this. he's the cowriter and coeditor. Daddy Longlegs is an essential element within the recipe

Pedro

I don't know if another movie has stressed me out so much.  My heart still hasn't recovered a few hours later.  I have some criticisms with the characters which I will list below, but even so I loved the movie.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Julia Fox's character was kind of a male fantasy. She's just there to serve Howard—it's confusing that she wants to come back to him and tattoo his name on her ass after he's such an insufferable dick. It's possible that I could have bought it more if her character/motivation was more fleshed out.

Also, the big breakdown scene with them crying was...fine.  I don't think it hit the emotional high they were going for. 

I thought the ending was perfect.   

putneyswipe

Just watched this and Pleasure of Being Robbed on CC. Enjoyed both but Longlegs was the revelation- I think it's a better film than Good Time

Quote from: jenkins on December 23, 2019, 06:37:00 PM
oh, shit. we could've all been together on this one except i'm the problem. swear to god that i don't like conspire to do this

um i just wanna s/o to the Ronald Bronstein component within this. he's the cowriter and coeditor. Daddy Longlegs is an essential element within the recipe

jenkins

this trailer highlights Adam Sandler

putneyswipe

My recent travails into the Safdie catalog had me wondering, as I was rewatching this, if perhaps there was a Heaven Knows What-esque version of this. One in which the Howard character is played by a real diamond dealer with an unknown supporting cast, shot down and dirty on 16mm. It's interesting to think about, but I don't necessarily think it would be a better film; part of the reason the movie works is the tension between the Safdie-verse and the Sandler-verse (also the reason why Punch-Drunk Love is so great). The way they play with the manchild sports-loving public persona, the trope of the unrealistically attractive girlfriend, Jewish "homeboy" posturing, etc.

Another question that is worth asking - why does it seem that with the exception of maybe Sean Baker, the Safdies are the only American directors really interested in the realities of living in this country today?

wilder

Quote from: putneyswipe on January 12, 2020, 03:45:12 PMAnother question that is worth asking - why does it seem that with the exception of maybe Sean Baker, the Safdies are the only American directors really interested in the realities of living in this country today?

You and me, brother

putneyswipe

Quote from: wilder on January 12, 2020, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: putneyswipe on January 12, 2020, 03:45:12 PMAnother question that is worth asking - why does it seem that with the exception of maybe Sean Baker, the Safdies are the only American directors really interested in the realities of living in this country today?

You and me, brother

It seemed for a while we could rely on Fincher, but then he retreated.

wilberfan

Which filmmaker/director was talking about how it's "easier" to set films in pre-cellphone era(s)?  Makes it easier to set up conflict/drama, etc?

Sleepless

Pretty much all of them.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilder on January 12, 2020, 05:01:23 PM

You and me, brother

Your list highlights this, but there's Baumbach. Eighth Grade, too, I thought did a good job of stylizing itself within genre while depicting the reality of youth + social media insecurity. Linklater? Last Flag Flying, Boyhood, and the Before Trilogy, at least. Soderbergh's Netflix films, although focused on niche communities, have that same goal, I seems.