Wrong Answer (dir. Ryan Coogler)

Started by jacques100, July 15, 2019, 11:08:22 AM

jacques100

The Fruitvale Station and Creed team of director Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan are reuniting on Wrong Answer, the true story of how Atlanta high school educators participated in an intricate, systemic standardized-test cheating scandal in 2013. The film has been set at New Regency and Plan B, and Ta-Nehisi Coates will write a script that is based on a 2014 The New Yorker article by Rachel Aviv. Coogler will produce with Plan B's Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, and New Regency's Arnon Milchan. New Regency will finance the project.

Coogler and Jordan first talked about wanting to make this movie while promoting Creed. It is not a simple corruption story, by any means. Coogler will direct Jordan in the role of Damany Lewis, a math teacher at Parks Middle School near Atlanta who got caught up in the scandal involving the standardized tests that were part of the No Child Left Behind program that tried to institutionalize higher test scores in schools nationwide. The problem was that the students in Lewis' school were severely underprivileged; despite the best efforts of Lewis and other teachers, these kids were not making the grades necessary to keep the school from being shuttered. And so Lewis, who in the article was a heroic force for the students of his school and was football, soccer and softball coach and the chess club founder, joined in an effort to cheat the test scores upward. Lewis became part of what was called the largest academic cheating scandal in U.S. history, which saw 11 educators convicted of racketeering. Lewis is a consultant and so is Aviv.

The article it will be based on: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/21/wrong-answer

jenkins

god what the hell would people do without The New Yorker

so this is the first foray into screenwriting for Ta-Nehisi Coates, who became famous with his book Between the World and Me. he graduated from Howard, is a MacArthur Fellow, and his first book was a memoir. he also now writes for the Black Panther and Captain America comics, and the new information to me is this:

Quote[Black Panther]  Issue #1 went on sale April 6, 2016, and sold an estimated 253,259 physical copies, the best-selling comic for the month of April 2016.

oh wow. okay so lots of people still buy comics.

Capote

The source material is fucking great. Rachel Aviv is always so interesting.
Not a big fan of Ta Nehisi "grievance pimp" Coates, but I like Coogler's Fruitvale Station. Hope he goes back to making original films again and doesn't waste his life on Marvel and Rocky sequels.
Nah fuck this. I have a choice between shit with the FBI or Getting my fucking IP leaked? you guys are fucked. im not leaking shit. leak my fucking IP, Im done