Anima

Started by Drenk, June 20, 2019, 09:19:50 AM

wilberfan

I guess Netflix ponied the dough for this one?  (Or was it Thom's recording label?)  If the former, I guess that suggests the possibility of PTA making his next feature on Netflix's dime?  (Or Amazon, or....some other streaming service?)

Lewton

Exciting news.

I'm still curious about what it was like shooting the "Daydreaming" video. We've learned a lot about the production of the feature length stuff through Q&As and interviews and whatnot, but we know much less about his music video work. I'm sure there are a lot of fascinating stories about coming up with these ideas and executing them. On the other hand...the air of mystery is cool too.

Drenk

I know they asked random people in LA if they could shoot in their houses, a woman broke the "secret"—well, her NDA—because she thought that nobody cared about Radiohead, she was just excited that, out of the blue, Paul Thomas Anderson knocked on her door. It was probably hectic. It's crazy that it looks that good.
Ascension.

Tdog

Quote from: Drenk on June 21, 2019, 06:27:20 AM
I know they asked random people in LA if they could shoot in their houses, a woman broke the "secret"—well, her NDA—because she thought that nobody cared about Radiohead, she was just excited that, out of the blue, Paul Thomas Anderson knocked on her door. It was probably hectic. It's crazy that it looks that good.
Yeah a talk show host wasn't it?

Didn't PTA say he used a small crew with a lot of young people on it? Or did I invent this memory?

Either way it's kind of amazing that when he shoots modernity it immediately, to me at least, starts looing like Magnolia/PDL. Or maybe it's just all the tracking shots!!!!!

Drenk

There are free screenings in LA today:

Thom Yorke: There's some low key very first preview IMAX screenings in LA tonight of a certain 'One Reeler' film . I'm not in the vicinity, but Mr Thomas Anderson will be.. eventually, once he's driven across town and parked the car...
Ascension.

wilberfan

Well, there goes my First to See Anima badge.  I have to wait until next Wed evening.  (Unless they're gonna keep this up over the next few days.)

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on June 21, 2019, 05:24:22 PM
Well, there goes my First to See Anima badge.  I have to wait until next Wed evening.  (Unless they're gonna keep this up over the next few days.)

Too bad you couldn't make it! Still, less than a week away is still good.

To me, Anima is the perfect event to be sandwiched between now and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood; it couldn't have been announced at a better time, just as I was starting to get unhealthily restless about waiting for Once Upon a Time. And of course Anima is really an event of its own.

There are a couple of pics from Anima in the following link, in case anyone wants to see them (but don't look if you don't want spoilers!): https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/20/18692922/anima-netflix-thom-yorke-paul-thomas-anderson

d

Has anyone here seen it already? The only first opinions I have found so far are from letterboxd

https://letterboxd.com/film/anima-4/

Please be aware that some of them may be considered a bit spoilery if you want to know as little as possible before your first viewing.

It seems that Joaquin was present. So was PTA as anmounced but no one mentiones if he said somethig before the screening or simply was around.

csage97

Quote from: d on June 23, 2019, 07:10:42 AM
Has anyone here seen it already? The only first opinions I have found so far are from letterboxd

https://letterboxd.com/film/anima-4/

Please be aware that some of them may be considered a bit spoilery if you want to know as little as possible before your first viewing.

It seems that Joaquin was present. So was PTA as anmounced but no one mentiones if he said somethig before the screening or simply was around.

Thanks for posting this link. I haven't seen it yet, but I've been on the lookout for reviews from the 21st.

Oddly enough, I feel like I'm immune to spoilers. Actually, I like having general parts of something described to me so that I get a sense of what it's about and build my expectations/picture of what it might be like in my mind, and then I have fun seeing how the actual thing matches or differs from what I expected.

d

More details have been posted on reddit since so you may want to have a look there too.

csage97

Quote from: d on June 23, 2019, 02:44:48 PM
More details have been posted on reddit since so you may want to have a look there too.

Thanks! I checked it out. Someone posted there who saw it a couple nights ago and is allowing questions, so I did ask something there. :)

jenkins

this is cool but i won't make it out for this because i'm difficult. i was looking at the international screenings and i had to google UAE, it's United Arab Emirates, which is between Oman and Saudi Arabia, its capital is Dubai, yup that's where VOX Cinemas & IMAX is, i like that it's part of this process. the intellectual and art culture of the Middle East is just as vibrant as anywhere else, i'm positive because i watch their arthouse movies

WorldForgot

It's Paul's birthday!! Here's hoping we get to wish him well at Anima.

wilberfan

I'm hoping there's an opportunity for us all to sing "Happy Birthday" to him in unison... ;)