PTA Personal Life

Started by wilberfan, February 07, 2018, 10:35:06 PM

polkablues

If everyone could move on and talk about something else, that would save me from having to lock this thread, so please and thank you in advance.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

+1 to Polka because holy shit there are some terrible takes in here. And we wonder why our female membership isn't through the roof. 

Quote from: Drill on April 23, 2020, 03:26:02 PMThis all sounds like sub-Yoko Ono dreck to me. I'm tapping out. Won't be making it to said song.

Your loss. The album is incredible.

Drill

Quote from: ©brad on April 23, 2020, 06:43:46 PM
+1 to Polka because holy shit there are some terrible takes in here. And we wonder why our female membership isn't through the roof. 

Quote from: Drill on April 23, 2020, 03:26:02 PMThis all sounds like sub-Yoko Ono dreck to me. I'm tapping out. Won't be making it to said song.

Your loss. The album is incredible.

Yeah, I really don't care lol. They always say that about her and it's always utterly tedious to me. I'm done trying to like her music. I don't think it's very good. *shrugs*

wilberfan

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Drill

Kind of hard to reconcile the kind-faced lady in those photos with the mom in Boogie Nights and the innuendos suggested about her. It's good that they seem to have a better relationship now. I guess having kids yourself makes you understand your parents better/forgive them.  I wish they asked him more about her during the PT press tour.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drill on May 23, 2020, 07:37:18 PM
Kind of hard to reconcile the kind-faced lady in those photos with the mom in Boogie Nights and the innuendos suggested about her. It's good that they seem to have a better relationship now. I guess having kids yourself makes you understand your parents better/forgive them.  I wish they asked him more about her during the PT press tour.

I'm glad they didn't. He should be able to keep some things private.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

I completely agree.

The Joanna Gleason quote from the Grantland oral history almost feels like it gets too close:

QuoteSo I sat there like she sits in the movie and I did the whole scene from a seated position. Read it just as it was written. It was powerful. And at the end of it, I asked Paul if this was based on his mom. He was so jet-lagged that his little eyes were watering. I thought, Never mind, we don't need to go there. I didn't mean to push a button. And he didn't answer, but I said, "If it is, you never have to forgive her."

Drill

Quote from: Rooty Poots on May 24, 2020, 12:36:00 AM
Quote from: Drill on May 23, 2020, 07:37:18 PM

I'm glad they didn't. He should be able to keep some things private.

Of course. I meant more about her in general. Not necessarily their relationship/the problems they've had. No matter how much better things are, that probably will always be a touchy, painful subject. I can't help but be curious though, since I think it's the real key/engine behind his work and less so Ernie, whom we always hear about.

I guess he does drop more tidbits about her now. The Rocky story he tells, for one.

wilberfan

I'm holding the thought that with age, parenthood, and grandparenthood that family dynamics have improved.  Paul continues to remind us thru his work that family is everything.

Drenk

There was an interview where he talked about bringing his kids to his mom and how unfairly harsh he used to be. The scene from Boogie Nights is unprocessed anger from what was basically a teenager at the time.
Ascension.

wilberfan

I don't remember now--did Eddie's mom appear in The Dirk Diggler Story?

Alexandro

even by the time of the Boogie Nights commentary he mentions that his treatment of that character is unfair and superficial. but of course, that's what makes the scene so raw. it's totally from the POV of the kid.

Drill

Even that Esquire article about his upbringing, everyone seemed a little frightened to talk about her, and so they don't.