Everything twitter

Started by Punch Drunk Hate, November 30, 2017, 10:49:34 PM

wilberfan

JUST GOT MY TICKET!!   :multi:

jenkins

BHC in a 4K DCP. the Aero just played The Shining in 4K DCP during its 70mm series, too. QT is keeping up the fight for film but DCP is pervading other film-centric places that once pushed against DCP

just an observation. the Aero, not even so long ago, would never have chosen DCP, and for that matter i don't think PTA would have either. its ascent has been slowed but its future domination is showing signs of inevitability

Something Spanish

Surely there'll be some YouTube clips of the Q&A

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on July 13, 2021, 02:50:20 PM
BHC in a 4K DCP. the Aero just played The Shining in 4K DCP during its 70mm series, too. QT is keeping up the fight for film but DCP is pervading other film-centric places that once pushed against DCP

just an observation. the Aero, not even so long ago, would never have chosen DCP, and for that matter i don't think PTA would have either. its ascent has been slowed but its future domination is showing signs of inevitability

You're not wrong, but I wonder if there were mitigating factors for this decision.  Maybe there were no decent prints avail, maybe Brest is proud of the 4K (restoration?). 

jenkins

there are definitely mitigating factors, plural, but I know one big one is simply that studios aren't striking prints like they used to. a lot of theaters are only digital projectors now, so there are fewer places to send the print to. and not only that but studios themselves are rather adverse to the idea of prints, embrace the digital format. in other words, absolutely there wasn't a decent print available. I recently saw Playtime at the Aero and it was genuinely sad how bad the print was

wilberfan

Anyone familiar enough to judge?   :ponder:  Released 1995...

https://twitter.com/besttreal/status/1415713938784677888

(Found a copy online.  May have to check it out.)

PinkTeeth

This does check out.
La Haine is a banger of a movie, used to keep it on in the background during parties.
New Name, Same Typos.

wilberfan

Not to take anything away from my dude, but if this scene, um, inspired RahadFest in Boogie in any way, then it can't help but slightly alter how impressed I am with that scene.

PinkTeeth

Woah, I didn't realize La Haine was older! I thought the influence was the other way around, but I can see a young Paul being charmed by this for sure...
It is like a franco-hiphop Mean Streets
New Name, Same Typos.

WorldForgot

Very cool movie. Love the bathroom serb story. BAM in Brooklyn was screening it just earlier this week.
I think Sorrentino is constantly alluding to it as well, especially the cow.

Robyn

I read an interview recently with someone (was it PTA? The safdies?) who said that La Haine used to be "the shit" when they went to film school. I liked it too, but haven't watched it in a while.

wilberfan

Watched it last night.  Especially impressed with the photography and performances.  Mouth fell open at the eerie similarity of the coked-out dude scene.

wilberfan

Based on the rest of that thread, Ben has issues. Praying I don't end up sitting next to him at a Soggy screening.