Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 14, 2021, 11:52:51 PM
That was funny, but I'll be deleting troll posts, even if you're reposting someone else's troll.

That's fair lol wanted others to feel my pain

Montclair

Trailer will be online Monday, October 4th.

Lots of Bees

Drenk

Early October would give time to every person in America to travel to New-York or LA. PTA is also bringing his support to gas companies.
Ascension.

pynchonikon

I heard it's dropping Monday, October the 18th. He's giving the exclusive 35mm screenings enough time to breath. The power of cinema.

d

I really hope October is not true.

Going back to that discussion about marketing, budgets and PTA's position etc. I don't know much about all that but one thing that struck me during the PT press tour was when he talked (I am not sure if it was one of the podcasts or I just saw it in writing) about being aware that time passes, how the number of films he will be able to make is limited, obviously... I am not saying he will sell out or compromise his work in any way, but it felt as if working more efficiently and having shorter gaps between releases is more important for him than before. So I won't be so surprised if his next will be for Apple or even Netflix.

With that one, based on nothing I can put my finger on, just butterflies, I think it may share the fate of IV. But with a little luck it may be more successful. If the trailer is indeed that great and the film itself can appeal to wider audiences. And it gets good reviews and nominations. However, I do not think it is a bigger Oscar contender than PT just now, based on what we know. Or has better chances at box office.

Those of you who have seen the trailer - do you feel that the trailer itself may suggest a bigger commercial potential? Of course if it faithfully represents the movie.

HACKANUT

Jeremy Blackman

If you're posting a date (or rumored date) that the trailer is dropping, please link to or mention your source...

Fuzzy Dunlop

Of course its tradition for everyone on here to go nuts in the run-up to a new PTA, but I don't remember there being so much discussion about marketing strategy and box office potential for his other films. Maybe I just blocked it out. It's just kind of exhausting to see so much of the convo be dominated by the business side of things, especially because none of us have any clue what the actual plan for the roll-out is.

Maybe they are saving the promo push for closer to the release and will have it running through Oscar season. Maybe the No Time To Die marketing budget went tens of millions over because of the release delays and LP is getting left out in the cold. Maybe its chaos between MGM and Amazon. Maybe they have no idea what they are doing. Maybe they know exactly what they are doing.

Ultimately, all we know is, there is going to be a new PTA movie in 2 months and it is probably going to frickin rip. The plan for the roll-out is still a mystery to everyone who isn't directly involved, and the critical and audience reception is a mystery to absolutely everyone at this point. So chill out and enjoy the fireworks!

jviness02

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on September 15, 2021, 01:25:58 PM
Of course its tradition for everyone on here to go nuts in the run-up to a new PTA, but I don't remember there being so much discussion about marketing strategy and box office potential for his other films. Maybe I just blocked it out. It's just kind of exhausting to see so much of the convo be dominated by the business side of things, especially because none of us have any clue what the actual plan for the roll-out is.

Maybe they are saving the promo push for closer to the release and will have it running through Oscar season. Maybe the No Time To Die marketing budget went tens of millions over because of the release delays and LP is getting left out in the cold. Maybe its chaos between MGM and Amazon. Maybe they have no idea what they are doing. Maybe they know exactly what they are doing.

Ultimately, all we know is, there is going to be a new PTA movie in 2 months and it is probably going to frickin rip. The plan for the roll-out is still a mystery to everyone who isn't directly involved, and the critical and audience reception is a mystery to absolutely everyone at this point. So chill out and enjoy the fireworks!

Agreed. Also your second paragraph brings up several good points. Also that brings up a thought: Will LP trailer be attached to No Time To Die?

Find Your Magali

I'm sure this has been answered previously, but are there streaming-service options for LP following a suitable in-theater window?

wilberfan

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on September 15, 2021, 01:25:58 PM

I agree, but it wouldn't be the case, would it, if we hadn't all been knocked on our ass by a world pandemic slash streaming revolution, right?   I mean, it feels like everything is different now--especially movie-going and movie-marketing and movie-distribution.

We didn't have this tortured marketing conversation during the run-up to Thread because we didn't need to.   We didn't have any anxiety about when a film would be released necessarily or, Jesus, how...or especially if!

It makes complete sense to me that we're thrashing around right now.  We've been waiting 4 years since the last one, we've been waiting a full year since this one started.   And we've heard squat about it!  We're in this little row boat on very rough seas at the moment--or at least not much more than a mirage of land on the horizon.  I think we have to just keep rowing towards the speck--and hope it's not moving AWAY from us!

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: wilberfan on September 15, 2021, 01:59:40 PM
We're in this little row boat on very rough seas at the moment--or at least not much more than a mirage of land on the horizon.  I think we have to just keep rowing towards the speck--and hope it's not moving AWAY from us!

Yeah I guess I just don't feel that way? Seems like it'll all be fine.

itwasgood

Quote from: Find Your Magali on September 15, 2021, 01:50:27 PM
I'm sure this has been answered previously, but are there streaming-service options for LP following a suitable in-theater window?

All MGM movies go to paramount + exclusively after a 45-days in-theatre window.