Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Pringle

Spoiler: ShowHide
Beyond the clear Boogie Nights visual vibe, two parts reminded me of The Master: Hoffman running through the field, and him getting placed in the cop car as Alana Haim looked in through the window

Alethia

Alana walking into the glass door is a total Barry Egan move.

csage97

Speaking of Bradley Cooper, one of my favourite parts of the trailer is him smashing the car windows and then kneeling down and letting out a roar. It's a very dramatic thing that wouldn't really happen in real life but isn't farfetched to the extent that it would only make sense in some self-contained universe. You know, the kind of thing PTA does.

Also, I couldn't really imagine how Starman would work for the trailer before seeing it, but boy, does it.

Vicko99

Quote from: wilberfan on September 21, 2021, 12:33:48 PM
:shock:

[Jonny's tweet, my graphic] 

I told y'all this cast is meta asf

csage97

Quote from: thehed on September 21, 2021, 08:57:18 PM
I haven't seen the trailer. I'm curious to see if it looks like a $40m movie. Doesn't really sound like it, or am I wrong?

Looks as much a $40m movie as Phantom Thread or The Master (in fact, it looks more high-budget than PT if I'm being honest, just judging by the trailer). It looks more Boogie Nights or Magnolia to me, with a sprinkle of IV, really. Except I can't tell if it has all the camera movement of of Boogie Nights or Magnolia, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't to the same extent.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on September 21, 2021, 03:24:44 PM
She wouldn't necessarily have to be playing her mother--but she could play a character that was an homage to her.  Dress the way she would have dressed back in '73, '74, etc.

Her memories of her mother are rather fanciful, apparently.  It would be very easy to have a character 'based' on Minnie.

AMY SEDARIS: Do you have a vivid memory of your mother [the legendary performer Minnie Riperton]?

RUDOLPH: My memories of my mother are a combination of reality and a kid's imagination, if that makes sense. I never know which memories are accurate or not. I do remember being at many of my brother's Little League games, and after he'd make a great play, my mom would always scream, "That's my baby! He came out of my womb!"

Source

Jeremy Blackman

^ I second that. It looks slick, some hybrid of PDL/BN visually. Lots of color, gorgeous lighting, many silhouettes. Probably lacks Scorsese-esque camera moves but almost certainly has ambitious tracking shots.

So yeah it does look somewhat expensive, certainly more than Inherent Vice. But I'm not sure we've been show any scenes you could pinpoint as specifically high-budget.

polkablues

Shooting a period piece with lots of outdoor locations is like balancing on top of a runaway train that burns money for fuel. Add to that shooting on film rather than digital, the day rates of Bradley Cooper and Sean Penn and whoever else we might not even know about yet, and that $40 million pile starts to shrink quick.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Dang, you're right. I hadn't even considered the period factor. Not just locations, but vehicles etc.

RudyBlatnoyd

Ben Stiller is still listed on IMDB as a cast member, but I for one did not spot him in the trailer... Do we think this is solid insider information or just somebody messing about?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's in it. PTA obviously has some history with those 'Frat Pack' guys.

Drenk

Not a fan of employees being asked to be on the « lookout » for trailer thieves when the damn thing is already out there.

Since I'm not frustrated anymore, I can say that this whole thing became silly very fast.

https://twitter.com/thepcclondon/status/1440670731654762496?s=21
Ascension.

d

Both volumes of Kill Bill in 35 mm and the trailer look tasty, though.

lawavaca

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on September 22, 2021, 07:49:01 AM
Ben Stiller is still listed on IMDB as a cast member, but I for one did not spot him in the trailer... Do we think this is solid insider information or just somebody messing about?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's in it. PTA obviously has some history with those 'Frat Pack' guys.

I can confirm Ben Stiller is NOT in Licorice Pizza. I can't give a source, it's an "I know a guy who knows a guy" type situation, so feel free to ignore me and keep speculating on it, but I know for a fact he's not in the movie.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: lawavaca on September 22, 2021, 11:31:15 AM
Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on September 22, 2021, 07:49:01 AM

I can confirm Ben Stiller is NOT in Licorice Pizza. I can't give a source, it's an "I know a guy who knows a guy" type situation, so feel free to ignore me and keep speculating on it, but I know for a fact he's not in the movie.

Is it the same case with the talk of Walken being in it?

Alethia