Mulholland Dr. Explanation?

Started by Xeditor, April 23, 2003, 05:04:36 PM

phil marlowe

and thank you for ruining the experience for allmost everyone. i certanly hope you didnt do that just to show off.

so to all of those who like to read threads backward; dont read the post before this one.

RegularKarate

I tossed a spoiler warning there just for anyone who might not it spelled out like that.

penfold0101

I found some useful discussion going on in the news groups.
try doing a google groups search in
alt.movies.david-lynch

There’s a Chap called trichome who really seams to know his shit, he has a lot of cool ideas. Try searching his name as well.

I do find over analysis takes a lot of the fun out of the film, but you do need to look a bit deeper in MD, there are several layers to this.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: Phil Marloweand thank you for ruining the experience for allmost everyone. i certanly hope you didnt do that just to show off.

yeah, i did it to show off... aren't you impressed!?!

no, really i didn't mean to ruin it for anyone...........the thread title "Muholland Dr. Explanation" doesn't scream SPOILERS to anyone else but me?

Pedro

Quote from: Pastor Parsley
Quote from: Phil Marloweand thank you for ruining the experience for allmost everyone. i certanly hope you didnt do that just to show off.

yeah, i did it to show off... aren't you impressed!?!

no, really i didn't mean to ruin it for anyone...........the thread title "Muholland Dr. Explanation" doesn't scream SPOILERS to anyone else but me?
It doesn't say Mulholland Dr. and Lost Highway Explanation

chainsmoking insomniac

Everybody calm down.  The Pastor explained it so much more succinctly than anyone else had done up to that point, so the clarity was welcome.  

Thank you Pastor.  Now I'm off to watch Mulholland again--through different eyes..... :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

phil marlowe

mulholland drive wasnt made for people to use other peoples explanaitons. the movie is made for you and your consience or whatever to make up the sence as you see it. only you. going in with such an over simplyfied explanation from another viewer will ruin half of the experience.

as for the spoilers thing, i can only say that such thing as to give a spoiler warning is pretty much the only fair thing to do and it takes about one second. and maybe the title 'mulholland drive explanations' was ment in another way than just giving the intire plot away in one sentence. if you had read the thirty repliers previous you, then you might have understood.

Pastor Parsley

QuoteIt doesn't say Mulholland Dr. and Lost Highway Explanation

good point...sorry.

chainsmoking insomniac

Hey Marlowe.  Please, shut up.  I get the movie now.  The Good Pastor clarified some shit for me. So please, enough with the high-falootin conceptual shit. Thanks dude. :P
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Sleuth

Seriously, if Lynch wanted Mulholland Drive to be some sort of conceptual shit he would have made the true meaning unclear to where many people can interpret it in many different ways (because it would have been a work of art) but it isn't so SHUT UP
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

what the fuck? excactly how did i offend you people? i think telling me to shut up is the lamest thing to do. if any of you agressive morans read my post one more time you might get what im saying here:

i dont give a rats ass if you guys want the experience ruined. thats fine. all im asking is for you to just give a fucking spoiler warning before you submit a goddamn post of such a crusial importance. this movie is all about trusting your senses.

Sleuth

Perhaps one day I will find an online community where one can be sarcastic without using " :wink: "  

by the way, it's spelled "moron"
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

Quote from: tremolosloth

by the way, it's spelled "moron"

oooooooooo, you going to take that? what a low blow. god damn, what has the world come to?
...your excuses are your own...

Alethia

cowboykurtis

lets hold hands and listen to raffi
...your excuses are your own...