The Master - SPOILERS!

Started by polkablues, August 18, 2012, 01:41:45 AM

d

Fuzzy Dunlop

This is great.

I'm glad I didn't see it before seeing the movie tho.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: d on September 15, 2021, 12:40:18 AM
While we are waiting for LP trailer...
https://twitter.com/AnnapurnaPics/status/1437885020484640771?s=19

Perfect trailer for a retrospective, but very clear why it wasn't used during the original run.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: nomorecoffee on May 29, 2021, 06:27:47 PM
Just found this cool article on the coloring of The Master

https://lowepost.com/casestudies/the-master-r13/

Always nice to hear some words on how PTA collaborates. Also the technical part is kind of cool

This is brilliant. It would be fascinating to see how this looked raw. Obviously wouldn't have been too far removed from the final result, but it'd be interesting to know all the same.

Interesting that the source for 35mm was the negative, versus an interpositive for the 65mm. Do we know why that might be?

Also... Now I'm going to be keeping an eye on those "three effects and two opticals" next time I give it a watch...

d

QuotePerfect trailer for a retrospective, but very clear why it wasn't used during the original run.

Because it shows too much? That was my initial though as well but having watched it now again I am not so sure whether it is spoilery or am I judging it knowing the Master inside out. It is a great trailer nevertheless. Not so great as Was There A Fight?/Able-Bodied Seaman first (?) teaser/trailer but still great. And what an achievement that movie is, oh boy. So addictive. With all due respect to PTA and Phantom Thread, if he will ever reach the same level again...

Something Spanish

Wow, first time seeing that Master trailer, chills. Definitely too spoilery for someone that hasn't seen it, but as a trailer it's so powerful because of its spoilers. Wish this would have been on the Blu with the rest of the spots.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: d on September 22, 2021, 03:36:59 AM
QuotePerfect trailer for a retrospective, but very clear why it wasn't used during the original run.

Because it shows too much? That was my initial though as well but having watched it now again I am not so sure whether it is spoilery or am I judging it knowing the Master inside out. It is a great trailer nevertheless. Not so great as Was There A Fight?/Able-Bodied Seaman first (?) teaser/trailer but still great. And what an achievement that movie is, oh boy. So addictive. With all due respect to PTA and Phantom Thread, if he will ever reach the same level again...

Yeah, shows too much. Not in a "Spoilery" way, but that "Slow boat to China" scene should be kept hidden until you see the movie.

Following the Master's hypetrain from that weird first poster to the best teaser of all time ("Was There A Fight") to the final movie is such a fond memory of mine.

d

Same here.

You both are probably right about the spoilers and the decision not to release it back then is one I understand for the reasons you mentioned. Yet, even the slow boat to China scene... I am not so sure that it says a lot without the context.

When thinking about the movie I rarely go back to that scene, maybe even forget about it while re-watching the whole thing. But when it comes... it may be one of the greatest if not the greatest scene in the whole movie. When it comes to Lancaster vs. Freddie scenes, I am pretty confident I like it more than, say, the processing scene that is/was discussed and hyped much more.

No wonder PTA considers The Master his greatest achievement.

Drenk

I knew Dodd would sing that song before I watched the movie, and I don't know...I wish I didn't? But they probably didn't use that teaser because the idea of clashing songs with an accelerating rythme doesn't quite work. It's a rough cut.
Ascension.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: d on September 22, 2021, 06:10:19 AM
Yet, even the slow boat to China scene... I am not so sure that it says a lot without the context.

Oh, it says absolutely nothing without context, but that doesn't mean it's fine to appear in a trailer.

WorldForgot

Rewatched yesterday and I wonder if there's been posts of how it precludes Phantom Thread, not just in setting  ->

Freddie loves bellies, "this isn't fashion, you do it for a billion years or not at all," and both Freddie and Woodcock have "visions" of their mother.

wilberfan

Oh no.  A belly fetish to contend with now?  Still prefer that over feet....

HACKANUT

Belly fetish = womb = connection to a lost Mother?
An attempt to fill the Motherly void by returning to the comfort of the void itself?

This strings nicely through both Freddie and Reynolds's psychology.

Alethia

Quote from: HACKANUT on November 17, 2021, 04:00:54 PM
This strings nicely through both Freddie and Reynolds's psychology.

He is indeed a Hungry Boy.