Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 19, 2009, 11:35:23 PM
3 Minute and 30 Second Avatar Trailer Coming!!

Here

tomorrow will be on the apple site in hd.

still hopeful, but the colors on the cgi ppl/beasts still look cartoony. oh, and they tell why they go to pandora, or at least one of the reasons.

RegularKarate

You know, now that I've accepted that the movie isn't going to be half as good as I was originally hoping, I can deal with this just being a fun James Cameron spectacle.

The dialogue is predictably atrocious.  Why would any character ever say "We're not in Kansas anymore" now?  It's a joke. 
The plot seems to just be an amalgam of all of Cameron's favorite things from the movies he's already made (dropping onto a new planet, the corporation that's just there for the money, the unbelievable, chemistry-free love story, etc...).

Still, Cameron does great action and I can't wait to watch it.

Stefen

It looks like a better version of something Michael Bay would do.

That's a compliment.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Stefen on October 29, 2009, 12:46:46 PM

That's a compliment.

I agree. Doesn't look that bad.
WWPTAD?

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 29, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
Still, Cameron does great action and I can't wait to watch it.

Did great action for sure. But who knows what he does now that he's in CG overload.  

Quote from: Stefen on October 29, 2009, 12:46:46 PM

Michael Bay would at least have the decency to blow real shit up.  I liked the first 90 seconds then come the blue people and my hopes are crushed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on October 29, 2009, 01:56:36 PM
Did great action for sure. But who knows what he does now that he's in CG overload.  

NOW?  He's always loved CG.  He was one of the first to start using it right.  I agree that the characters look too bright and cartoonish, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to make a good action sequence anymore.  It's his thing.

Stefen

I'm more worried about the shitty romance aspect.

After Titanic, he may lay the saccharine on way too thick. Did you see all that corniness in that trailer. GROSS.

Action will be awesome, but you can get that from a bunch of filmmakers. Cameron used to make good movies. I hope this is one of them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

yeah the dialogue is redonkulous. was anyone else momentarily expecting him to say "this.. is.. SPARTA!" at the end? it really sounded like he was getting ready to say that.

why would sigourney weaver casually insult a guy who's volunteered to help her crazy experiment? and NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE?? OUTSTANDING??

i'm glad i was primed for extreme disappointment by the other trailer because this made it look much better, but that's still only okay. i wouldn't be interested if the cameron name wasn't behind it.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 29, 2009, 03:30:09 PM
Quote from: modage on October 29, 2009, 01:56:36 PM

NOW?  He's always loved CG.  He was one of the first to start using it right.  I agree that the characters look too bright and cartoonish, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to make a good action sequence anymore.  It's his thing.

In T2 it was still used sparingly, as the compliment to the scene instead of the scene.  I'm not sure I've ever been that involved in an action sequence that was primarily CG because I can't suspend my disbelief.  If they couldn't find a way to film it, I'm generally not going to be invested.  I just fucking hate CG, if I recognize it, I don't want to see it.  (Obvs unless we're talking about an actual animated film, like Pixar.)  This just looks like he's trying to one-up the Star Wars prequels. 

JC: Look!  NOTHING is real! Can you tell? 
US: YES, we can still tell.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I've spent a long time not giving a shit about this movie, and I'm sure as hell not going to start now.

Oh, and insult to injury, Cameron ripped off the story.
My house, my rules, my coffee

JG

new yorker piece keeping me interested. i'll see it with low expectations.

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on October 29, 2009, 06:09:54 PM

Whoa! That's really, REALLY bad. That book's plot is so similar...
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblour. on October 29, 2009, 09:56:26 PM
Quote from: polkablues on October 29, 2009, 06:09:54 PM

Whoa! That's really, REALLY bad. That book's plot is so similar...

Not really.  The plots are pretty similar, but it's not like that idea is super-original anyway.  The sci-fi/fantasy world has a lot of Go-Tos and using an "avatar" of some sort is one of them.
And that art-work comparison is super-weak.  Ooooh, both characters are on another planet and are blue(ish).

The plot for Aliens is basically Starship Troopers.  It's not really that surprising... the differences lie in the details.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee