HAIM - "Valentine"

Started by velociraptor, April 27, 2017, 09:45:40 AM

Drenk

"Waking up, dressing up for work...in my giant garden."
Ascension.

Alethia

wilberfan

Love the Jack Horner Living Room flagstone!

kingfan011

Definitely my favorite song of the 4 so far. Also even though its the simplest video I think its Paul's best video for them as it matches  the angry scuzzy melody.

Drill

How many singles (with videos) do bands release these days? It used to be about 3-4 a record, right? This is already the 4th I think and the album isn't even out yet.

csage97

Quote from: Drenk on March 03, 2020, 01:58:53 PM
is probably their worst recent video.

Yeah, I have to agree. Either this one, or the one with the New Beverley in it where the Haim sisters just walked around for a few minutes.

I think Youtube's bitrate spoils any kind of enjoyment I might get from these videos. Paul hasn't been shying away from the "dirtiness" of film grain lately, even making a point of bringing it out in Phantom Thread and Anima ... but when you combine that with youtube's garbage compression artifacts, it just looks so bad. It's pretty much unwatchable to me, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I thought Paul's video with them for "Now I'm In It" was awesome. It reminded me a lot of the look of Boogie Nights and Magnolia. The other ones lately just feel too rough around the edges.

I still don't know why he's making all these videos with them. He's probably just having fun, keeping active with these mini projects, testing lenses, films, etc., working on his skills, getting to film in different times of day in LA (which will be good for his upcoming film), and so on. But still, Haim's music is so mediocre that I have to wonder who their dad or close relative is in the music business.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drill on March 03, 2020, 04:23:25 PM
How many singles (with videos) do bands release these days? It used to be about 3-4 a record, right? This is already the 4th I think and the album isn't even out yet.

There's no standard anymore. The Visual Album is very popular because youtube is used to listen to music (lyric videos, official visualizer, etc), so the more plentiful your videos are the better you chart all around streaming.

wilberfan

Quote from: csage97 on March 03, 2020, 05:06:49 PM

I still don't know why he's making all these videos with them. He's probably just having fun, keeping active with these mini projects, testing lenses, films, etc., working on his skills, getting to film in different times of day in LA (which will be good for his upcoming film), and so on. But still, Haim's music is so mediocre that I have to wonder who their dad or close relative is in the music business.

Actually there is a "relative" connection.  The mother of the Haim girls happened--by a Magnolia-level-coincidence--to have been Paul's art teacher in high school.  He didn't know that before he started working with them--he liked them as a band--but that kind of connection must have helped seal the ongoing deal.

Drill

Quote from: Drenk on March 03, 2020, 01:58:53 PM
is probably their worst recent video.

Yeah, I have to agree. Either this one, or the one with the New Beverley in it where the Haim sisters just walked around for a few minutes.

I think Youtube's bitrate spoils any kind of enjoyment I might get from these videos. Paul hasn't been shying away from the "dirtiness" of film grain lately, even making a point of bringing it out in Phantom Thread and Anima ... but when you combine that with youtube's garbage compression artifacts, it just looks so bad. It's pretty much unwatchable to me, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I thought Paul's video with them for "Now I'm In It" was awesome. It reminded me a lot of the look of Boogie Nights and Magnolia. The other ones lately just feel too rough around the edges.

You said it.

This is proof that you really can work with someone too many times. It's lost its luster and is just kind of annoying now. Admittedly, if I liked their music more, I'd be a bit more understanding. Are any of these songs hits? Why not do videos for some huge artists like, idk, Beyonce or Kanye or whomever. It all seems like kind of a waste.

I guess I should be glad he's using all his "phone it in" for-hire energy on this stuff instead of an actual film. I also notice and find it odd how his music video subjects are mostly women when his films aren't.

jenkins

But still, Haim's music is so mediocre that I have to wonder who their dad or close relative is in the music business.

they bred for this, it's um partridge family

QuoteThe sisters grew up in a musical family, and began playing instruments from an early age in the cover band Rockinhaim, fronted by their parents, Moti and Donna. The two elder sisters, Este and Danielle, began performing with the pop group Valli Girls in 2005. They released a few songs on soundtrack and compilation albums under that name, but left the group shortly after an appearance at the 2005 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards.

one must say that they developed

um pta hasn't worked with them too many times bc id he didn't keep going they would have been forgotten by now, he's been an essential friend to them and if y'all don't know the backstory there wbf just shared it above

Drill

How about you just tell us.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drill on March 03, 2020, 05:32:39 PM

It's on the same page you're posting in!

Quote from: wilberfan on March 03, 2020, 05:22:35 PM

Actually there is a "relative" connection.  The mother of the Haim girls happened--by a Magnolia-level-coincidence--to have been Paul's art teacher in high school.  He didn't know that before he started working with them--he liked them as a band--but that kind of connection must have helped seal the ongoing deal.

Quote from: Biggie Smallzya brain was a terrible thing to waste

Quote from: eward on March 03, 2020, 02:56:57 PM
About the kinda place I'm lookin to snag.

Sheesh, good luck, moneybagz! :P

Drill

Quote from: WorldForgot on March 03, 2020, 05:35:09 PM
Quote from: Drill on March 03, 2020, 05:32:39 PM

It's on the same page you're posting in!

Quote from: wilberfan on March 03, 2020, 05:22:35 PM

Quote from: Biggie Smallzya brain was a terrible thing to waste

Quote from: eward on March 03, 2020, 02:56:57 PM
About the kinda place I'm lookin to snag.

Sheesh, good luck, moneybagz! :P

I knew that. How does that explain them being forgotten if it wasn't for him?

jenkins

Robyn

Let's go back to asking the important questions here:

Quote from: wilberfan on March 02, 2020, 11:25:15 PM
Wonder where you find two dozen fake salamis?