Jim Jarmusch jealousy

Started by kotte, January 19, 2004, 02:08:22 PM

kotte

Quote from: Jim JarmuschMusicians have it so easy, they can just pick up a guitar or whatever and create. We filmmakers need so many different things to create. Film doesn't lend itself to spontaneity. It takes years to do what they can do in a heartbeat...but when you think about it nothing can compete with the feeling of telling a story you really care about. That is something a musician can't do.

Agree?

I sure as hell do.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Agreed, but I wouldn't play music to make a movie.  Kind of a dumb quote by the end of it.
I like to hug dogs

soixante

Apples and oranges -- filmmaking and songwriting are different processes.  Who's to say you can't tell a story with music?  Bob Dylan is a pretty good storyteller.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

Another thing -- Jarmusch believes songwriting can be done in a heartbeat, like it can be tossed off without effort.  Well, that comes as news to songwriters like Paul Simon who struggle mightily for months to construct songs.  Or to Tom Scholz of Boston, a band that puts out albums once every eight years.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SoNowThen

What he's saying is that, in a moment of pure spontaneity, you can make music. Then and there.

With film, even if you have a camera on you, you still have to record, and then play back at a later date.

Acting can be like music, it can be done on the spot, so to speak. But the idea of doing a movie means that you have to be recording something.

It's not meant to be a dogmatic statement. It's a feeling thing...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

If you take a look at directors like Scorsese, the Andersons or Iñarritu to name some, they talk about how sometimes they feel more influenced by music  than by Cinema.
I wish i had the ability to  "get" the  stories in songs but  i lack that ...
context, context, context.

Rudie Obias

i agree and disagree.  making a film isn't easy and writing a song isn't easy either.  i agree with how much a filmmaker needs to create and how little a musician needs to create but musicians do tell stories like filmmakers.  take belle & sebastian, their whole song writing process is surrounded by storytelling.  all in all, creating anything is hard.  the process is the part that keeps me up at night, but it's worth it to see one of my little children in the world surviving.  i have no idea where i am going this this...........................[ what the hell is wrong with me? :( ]
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Quote from: rudieob.....all in all, creating anything is hard.  the process is the part that keeps me up at night, but it's worth it to see one of my little children in the world surviving.  i have no idea where i am going this this...........................[ what the hell is wrong with me? :( ]

maybe you should go the Mr. BK way and write something like "actually that doesn't have to do anything with all this but if fits my point"
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

I was thinking of this, and it's the best example I can come up with:

if I'm sitting at home one night, and I get the jones to play some music, I get up, grab the guitar, and wail away for x amount of hours until I'm tired and satisfied.

But sometimes I'm sitting there going "fuck, I need to make a film sooooooo bad". And that would entail writing a script, casting actors finding locations, shooting and editing, and so on. Even the smallest urge for making the tiniest film project can't be fulfilled unless untold amounts of effort are put in.... but the rewards of going through this are more fulfilling. In that way. If you were to make a studio album, and go on a concert tour, I do believe you could equate that to the same or more amount of crazy work than making a movie. As for the storytelling part of it, I mean, he's not saying you can't tell a story with music. Just that it's more complete, perhaps, more fulfilling in the visual-aural-time-space-presentation sense...

Rudie Obias

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: rudieob.....all in all, creating anything is hard.  the process is the part that keeps me up at night, but it's worth it to see one of my little children in the world surviving.  i have no idea where i am going this this...........................[ what the hell is wrong with me? :( ]

maybe you should go the Mr. BK way and write something like "actually that doesn't have to do anything with all this but if fits my point"

maybe you should go shut the fuck up!!!!!!!   asshole!!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

classical gas

Quote from: soixanteApples and oranges -- filmmaking and songwriting are different processes.  Who's to say you can't tell a story with music?  Bob Dylan is a pretty good storyteller.

I thought of Dylan immediately as well, but really, Dylan is giving you a vague outline of a certain emotion or event.  
Sure, he can be specific in some ways, but filmmakers, i believe have to be in tune with their own emotions and experiences as well as the nuances of the people around them.  I personally think a filmmaker needs to be a little more perceptive, not that muscians aren't....
Say a muscian and a filmmaker walk around with a pad and pencil and each write about twelve different situations or emotions or thoughts, well, the musician can pen twelve songs out of this and the filmmaker must construst these twelve thoughts/emotions into something cohesive and into a story (if his film is to have depth, at least).  
Maybe is is just 'apples and oranges', but i think filmmaking incorporates all the arts into one and i like to think of the director as the mastermind with some great help behind them.
it doesn't really make much of a difference though, as both musician and filmmaker are of equal importance, at least to me...

Chest Rockwell

Look at the storytelling in Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. Hell, they based a movie off the song!