Music in PTA movies

Started by BonBon85, February 02, 2003, 02:28:01 PM

jenkins

has anyone ever hated the fucker? haven't heard a single bad story about the guy. he's gotta trip on his laces sometimes, right

Pubrick

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 15, 2013, 04:45:45 PM
has anyone ever hated the fucker? haven't heard a single bad story about the guy. he's gotta trip on his laces sometimes, right

this the closest we've got http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=7254.0

and that huge article Pozer posted one time in the CMBB thread detailing how PTA never associates with losers he grew up with or people he worked with before he was big, "PTA never looks back" i think was a quote from one of his spokespeople when confronted with the contents of the article. so there's some bitterness there, mostly from the deadbeats who wanted to ride his coattails.

get pozer to repost that.
under the paving stones.

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Pubrick on January 15, 2013, 05:44:34 PM

and that huge article Pozer posted one time in the CMBB thread detailing how PTA never associates with losers he grew up with or people he worked with before he was big, "PTA never looks back" i think was a quote from one of his spokespeople when confronted with the contents of the article. so there's some bitterness there, mostly from the deadbeats who wanted to ride his coattails.

get pozer to repost that.

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/the-secret-history-of-paul-thomas-anderson
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Reel

Quote from:  link=topic=350.msg322023#msg322023 date=1358296419
He always used to say "Miss Stevens, I'm going to be a famous director. I'm going to win the Academy Award."

Awwwwwwwwww

Lottery

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 15, 2013, 04:45:45 PM

Didn't he cheat on that singing waif?

greenberryhill

I´ve always feel that there are some bits of music in pta´s films that remind me his past movies. Like if  there was a strange connection throug the music. Here are some examples i want to share, if you listen closely to the songs you can feel an escence of the films i mention.
In Punch Drunk Love: "He really needs me" min 0:30-0:45 reminds me Sydney
In There Will be blood "H/W Hopes of new fields"  min 0:40 -0:50 reminds me Boogie Nights
In The Master: Duke Ellington´s Lotus Flower reminds me Magnolia, min 0:20 -0:30

And of course many of the music composed for The Master has a big connection with There will be blood. Maybe i´m just crazy or something but i´m sure it could be a delivered choice by pta and i find it really great!

Just Withnail

I spent this morning listening to The Thin Red Line score on a loop, thanks to Cinephilia And Beyond, and was struck by the huge similarities between it and the Magnolia score. Not just the tone of it, but certain things almost seem lifted directly.

A quick google found some posts here and there from people who thought the same, even the music editor of TTRL, Lee Scott, who says:

PM: I especially admire the edit where Zimmer's score segues with Charles Ives in "Journey to the Line." It's brilliant.

Lee Scott: That was my idea. Hans wrote a piece to copy the Ives but it didn't fly. However, that piece appears on the soundtrack album though it wasn't in the film. "Journey to the Line" was the first piece of music Hans composed that clicked for the film. Here is some super music editing trivia: In the film Magnolia there is a cue that copies the transition from Hans' score into the Ives. It must have been in their temp. They copied an edit!

Does this affect my appreciation of the Magnolia score? Not a bit. But it certainly is curious.

Listen for yourself:

Thin Red Line score on Grooveshark

Magnolia score playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFssgJWM_0Q&list=PLEE89BBB2398B8BCB

Jeremy Blackman

You just blew my mind. That is a direct lift.

I actually like the Jon Brion version vastly better, though. Not nearly as repetitive. Listening to "Journey to the Line" I keep waiting for it to resolve or shift and sort of want to pull my hair out.

Jeremy Blackman

I fixed your link. The YouTube mod kind of pulled up the first video automatically.

I think this is the one in particular:

Although, doesn't the Magnolia score also have that pizzicato thing elsewhere? Where is that?

Here's the Zimmer:

Reel

I finally got around to watching Boogie Nights on blu for the first time.. I've never entirely listened to the soundtrack either, so doing that right now I checked out the original "The Touch" and noted that it was released in '86 and popularized in The very first Transformers movie. IMDB seems to confirm that Boogie Nights' timeline is '77-'84. The studio session takes place in'83. So, is Paul making a sly joke that Dirk has a secret talent for songwriting and he sold this song to Stan Bush which became a huge hit? That his stuff is "really that good"? I never considered it, I always just took it to be a cover at face value.

wilberfan

I love the possibility of this.  I never worked out the timeline before--I always assumed Dirk and Reed decided to cover it because they thought it was a cool song.

Reel

On second thought, the joke would be that they stole this song from him because he doesn't own the magic on those tapes