Favourite commentaries

Started by phil marlowe, January 29, 2003, 12:57:07 PM

Newtron

Quote from: Sigur Róserotic film about "the sensitive lover Saddam Hussein"

Sigur Rós

Hey Newtron.....better make that big red guy look like Mr. Bush

KingBlackDeath

Jake Gyllenhall was Bubble Boy before he became Mr. Great Actor, so you just may be right.
I must agree that i hated the Donnie Darko commentary, but I hated it for Richard Kelly's part. It was one of the few times that hearing the directors take on a movie ruined it for me.

The MR. SHOW commentary is fantastic, at least on the second disc. i dont even watch the episodes alone anymore, just the commentaries.

also (I'm sure it's on other dvds) but Road to Perdition has a audio track for blind people that describes everything everyone is doing. it gets real annoying real quick, but Damn can that Bitch talk FAST!![/b]
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

sphinx

i was watching the simpsons last night and before the show there was a little message that said 'NARRATIVE TELEVISION' or something and it told me to turn my audio mode to SAP to be able to listen to it, so i did.  It was hysterical.  Imagine a narrator quickly trying to explain an elaborate simpsons visual gag inbetween dialogue and you'll pretty much get the idea of what it sounds like.

Victor

anyhting by pta or terry gilliam, and im also partial to the kevin smith tracks. Soderburghs usually good too. Has anyone seen Cannibal! The Musical? Trey Parker and co. get drunk as fuck on scotch and ramble for 90 mins, its great.
are you gonna eat with us too?

bonanzataz

Quote from: Lesteranyhting by pta or terry gilliam, and im also partial to the kevin smith tracks. Soderburghs usually good too. Has anyone seen Cannibal! The Musical? Trey Parker and co. get drunk as fuck on scotch and ramble for 90 mins, its great.

I saw parts of the cannibal commentary and was laughing, but i had just watched the movie and couldn't go through the whole thing again. I'll just have to wait for a rainy day.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pedro

Sodeberheg and Gagan on Traffic (Criterion) is really good.  Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy's commentaries always dissapoint me, BADLY.  PTA's commentaries are really good, of course.  And Fight Club's commentaries are all really fresh.

RegularKarate

Quote from: LesterHas anyone seen Cannibal! The Musical? Trey Parker and co. get drunk as fuck on scotch and ramble for 90 mins, its great.

The best part of that commentary is when they accidently turn off the audio so they're talking, but it's not recorded, so all of a sudden the commentary stops and like four minutes later it comes back on and they're like "shit... whoops"

Sleuth

Quote from: BonBon85In the disappointing category I'd like to add all of Tim Burton's. You watch them and he'll go for about twenty minutes without saying anything so you get into watching the movie without it and suddenly he'll say "he has a silent movie quality" and ruin a moment you're really into. I guess he's just shy.

Aww, I thought Pee Wee's Big Adventure was really nice.  The talking between Paul Ruebens and Tim is really nice and comfortable.  Two old friends reunited after a long time, I like it.
I like to hug dogs

Ravi

Robert Rodriguez's commentaries are great, particularly for El Mariachi.  He talks almost nonstop.  I only got to hear half of the From Dusk Till Dawn commentary with Tarantino, but the part I heard was good.

ProgWRX

Ive really enjoyed Cameron Crowe's commentaries on both Almost Famous (with his mom, mentioned above) and Vanilla Sky, I just find that usually what he has to say interests me, he comes off as completely LOVING every aspect of filmmaking he is involved with, and even gives off the feeling (in the case of vanilla sky) that even doing a remake, he poured his heart & soul into the movie as if it was his baby from the start.  Now I have to say that the Jerry Maguire commentary (featuring Cruise, Cuba , Renee and Crowe) was dissapointing, it was mostly the cast socializing in a "reunion" type feel, and too little talk about the movie... (it was fun that they were on camera though)  Ive also enjoyed the comentary for Ferris Bueller's day off a LOT, its cool to hear John Hughes deconstruct a movie that is such a part of pop culture, at least for me.

Avoid : The only commentary ive been seriously dissapointed with was the comentary for Snatch... it seemed like Guy Ritche didnt even want to do it, and was pressured by the studio, and it shows.
-Carlos

subversiveproductions

Cliche, but the boogie nights commentary really is so so good, and the documentary on the making of Magnolia is awesome.
"Paul actually ground the lenses for this feature too."
-William H. Macy
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

bonanzataz

Quote from: subversiveproductions"Paul actually ground the lenses for this feature too."
-William H. Macy

Macy's such a funny dude. I love when PSH does his Paul impression. That one gets me.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

dufresne

Gonzalez-Innaratu's commentary from Amores Perros.

Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous (Bootleg)

Coppola for the trilogy.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Vivian Darkbloom

Sorry to bring that since you've all started talking about the topic again but there IS a french guy among you. I really don't get what gave us that snobbish and rude reputation but it's not that deserved (sometimes is, I agree.)

This being said, I really recommend you The criterion edition of RUSHMORE with a great commentary by Wes Anderson...

P.T.A is great and Tim Burton can be very boring, I agree (but if you can get a copy of Ed Wood on region 2, it gets a little better (altough in this particular case his commentary was edited and mixed with the screenwriter's one...)

I'm suprised nobody mentionned Peter Jackson and his multiple Fellowship commentaries... John Carpenter can be pretty cool too (especially with his Buddy Kurt...). You can add in a little Ridley Scott (who can even make Hannibal look like an interesting movie during his commentary track), Scorsese on Last Tempation of Christ and Last Waltz (where are the others ? I know he did some for Criterion laserdicsc...) every Oliver Stone you can lay your hands on and Darren Aronofsky on his two feature films.

Now for the bad part... Wes Craven is boring as hell on all three Scream movies and on both Nightmare... I was quite disapointed by Cronenberg on Existenz and Naked Lunch(region 2) but I couldn't hear the one he did for Dead Ringers. And, Im's sorry if I hurt his fans' feelings but I would add friedkin to that list for his lousy "director"s cut" version of the Exorcist (he sounds like Ozzy Osbourne on this one - not talking about the O.K. 25th anniversary version... I know, I know, i should get a life...)

And I'd like to finish by saying that Joss Whedon can be quite interesting in his own way (meaning that I'm a huge Buffy/angel fan... A great  WAYYYY underrated show...)

Hope I didn't bore you too much with what meant to be a SHORT post...