Licorice Pizza - SPOILERS!

Started by wilberfan, November 05, 2021, 08:30:50 PM

Yes

Whether or not the Japanese scene is funny or not is absolutely valid. I think the scene adds context to the era and correlates well to Gary/Alana's relationship. An exploitative businessman. I also like the 2nd scene when Alana properly bows and shows cultural respect. Also plays well to her background and the Jewish scenes.

As for the ending meaning Gary gets everything he wants? Well, throughout the film he's shown as a shortfuse and all his businesses quickly shutter. Even during pinball scene, he's arguing and combative with the clients.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Alana calls him idiot when he introduces her as "Alana Valentine"

WorldForgot

Where are people getting the time-jump ideas from? What makes anyone think this takes place over more than one year?

wilberfan

Some people desperately want him to be 18 by the end of the film?

ono

I mean, Yours, Mine, and Ours was 1968, the modern waterbed was patented in San Francisco in 1971, and the oil crisis was 1973.  So... it doesn't seem that long ago that Gary did the former, and the latter is in the film.  To me, it FEELS like a couple years had to have passed, if only because we at least see Gary through the motions of all of these grand schemes, all of which have overhead which would take so much more than just a couple months to get up and running.

WorldForgot

But the gas crisis stuff happens at the height of the waterbed arc.

ono

That doesn't change anything.  And pinball was legalized in 1974.

wilberfan

I think it's a mistake to try and get the timeline of the film to match history that closely.  It's a movie--not a documentary--time fudging is allowed.

WorldForgot

Not to mention that PTA has noted time-jumps quite specifically in the films that do span time (Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood). And Greg Valentine doesn't age by the end ;p

ono

Without anything else to go on, it makes sense that the film spans over a few years more than it doesn't.

WorldForgot

Quote from: ono on December 30, 2021, 11:38:58 PM
Without anything else to go on, it makes sense that the film spans over a few years more than it doesn't.

They hand out Pinball Palace fliers at the school. Do you think Gary graduated? lol

ono

He has his FRIENDS hand out the flyers.  Lawyered.  :)  And there's not anything wrong with him being on campus if he had graduated.

WorldForgot

wilberfan

Goetzman's adventures were probably over a few years.  I don't think Valentine's were.  If 3 years had gone by he'd have his Driver's Licence, would have bought a car, and wouldn't be running all over the Valley.

ono

Alana ran too.  And she's 25.  Or is it 28?  Alana ran too.  And Gary did have his license at the end.

And Gary calls her "old lady" -- I mean "milady".  Hehe.  She's obviously over the hill now that she's pushing 30.

wilberfan

I'll never be able to square the idea inherent in the "multiple year(s) theory" that that volatile relationship would continue like that over a period of 3 years.