Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

ono

Montclair

From 16:50 - 17:50 he talks about writing a movie he planned on making right after Phantom Thread, but he was struggling with it so much that he decided to stop and do Licorice Pizza instead.

ono

Montclair

Quote from: ono on November 08, 2021, 10:26:03 PM
This thread is just dumb.

The Licorice Pizza thread was started 4 months before the release of Phantom Thread. Not only that, it was started without any quotes or articles about potential casting or Paul hinting at his next project like this thread does. So, what's "dumb" about this thread that isn't "dumb" about when and what was said at the start of the LP thread? And, this time, try not to resort to antagonistic name calling and a 5 word sentence.

ono

Pringle

From what I've heard about the film, I don't think I'm going to like it as much as Licorice Pizza, which I also have not seen

Montclair

Quote from: ono on November 08, 2021, 10:44:06 PM
No.

Quote from: Pringle on November 08, 2021, 10:49:01 PM
From what I've heard about the film, I don't think I'm going to like it as much as Licorice Pizza, which I also have not seen

https://www.slashfilm.com/557592/paul-thomas-andersons-next-film/

This was reported during the press run for PT and I was hoping it would be his next one. It's not, but the idea of Paul sifting through a difficult 600 page monster he wrote excites myself and many film fans all over the world.

jviness02

Quote from: Montclair on November 08, 2021, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: ono on November 08, 2021, 10:44:06 PM
No.

Quote from: Pringle on November 08, 2021, 10:49:01 PM

https://www.slashfilm.com/557592/paul-thomas-andersons-next-film/

This was reported during the press run for PT and I was hoping it would be his next one. It's not, but the idea of Paul sifting through a difficult 600 page monster he wrote excites myself and many film fans all over the world.

Did you listen to the Bill Simmons podcast? Bill talks about writing his basketball book and it being "like 600 pages" and no one could help him get through it, but himself in comparison to PTA editing Magnolia. PTA later than brings that back up in the comment quoted in that article. He's not actually talking about a specific project. 

HACKANUT

Anyone else feel like PTA name-dropping Denzel in the Variety interview was subtly signaling the Jazz movie?

Robyn

Yeah, I had the same thought.

A Denzel/Haddish/PTA combo would be super exciting imo

Pringle

He mentions Will Smith in the interview too,... Fresh Prince of Central Avenue?

Tdog

I really want to see him work with Don Cheadle again!

Lewton

Smith and Denzel had been trying to star in a movie together but this was many years ago. I remember Denzel mentioned this in an interview or something. It obviously didn't work out but it would be amazing to see it happen after all, and in a PTA movie on top of that! I could see that situation being fresh territory and creatively challenging/rewarding for all involved.

I think Smith sometimes prefers to sort of edit his characters and add his own input to the story, which means it might have to be a Phantom Thread situation where PTA is to some extent creating the character with the star. But that's just a guess...who knows what will happen. (There is also the fact that PTA met with De Niro a while back. Was he meeting with him to discuss the longer project, perhaps?)

For some reason I prefer this early stage of "PTA's next movie" discussion. I guess because there's lots of unknowns and room for fun speculation without too much risk of ever meaningfully spoiling anything.

Montclair

Quote from: Robyn on November 11, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
Yeah, I had the same thought.

A Denzel/Haddish/PTA combo would be super exciting imo

First thing I thought of, too.

Quote from: Lewton on November 11, 2021, 02:37:38 PM
Smith and Denzel had been trying to star in a movie together but this was many years ago. I remember Denzel mentioned this in an interview or something. It obviously didn't work out but it would be amazing to see it happen after all, and in a PTA movie on top of that! I could see that situation being fresh territory and creatively challenging/rewarding for all involved.

A part of me hopes that's the big, difficult project he was trying to write before he took a detour with LP. I'd love to see him work with Olivia Colman, too!

Alethia