Straight Facts About Licorice Pizza (Possible SPOILERS)

Started by jenkins, January 07, 2021, 02:18:23 PM

jenkins

This thread is for facts only, all speculations rumors daydreams and whatnots belong here.

Live and Let Die is seen on a marquee. its release date was 27 June 1973. this coincides with Joel Wachs and his mayoral candidacy of 1973. It also coincides with the 1973 oil crisis.

Soggy Bottom is set in 1973

wilberfan

I don't know what our toleration for fact-based speculation is in this thread, but there is another factual, historical event that would extend the timeline of the story into Spring or Summer of '74.

jenkins

the more factual the better, ask Pluto. this is just to provide a place that avoids small talk gossip and gives people the 411

WorldForgot

On top of musicians being cast, the film features diegetic music, those in Hollywood having spotted the set-dress for Palladium's Teen Fair.

^this orange truck has been spotted at multiple locations around the valley -- iz actually the rumored child star protagonist (ok, i embellish)

Tdog

Quote from: wilberfan on January 07, 2021, 02:43:34 PM
I don't know what our toleration for fact-based speculation is in this thread, but there is another factual, historical event that would extend the timeline of the story into Spring or Summer of '74.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Would this relate to murders?

That's the only thing I could find when I looked up California history for 73-74.

wilberfan

wilberfan

Jon Peters was dating Barbra Streisand during the Gas Crisis in late 1973.

(Facts tend to invite speculation, don't they?)     :yabbse-grin:

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on January 07, 2021, 02:49:26 PM
Palladium's Teen Fair

this is another type of fact that inspires fact-based speculation. I have not yet on my own found information about a Palladium Teen Fair in the relevant timeline, and the objective is to see if the scene appears based on a factual event represented in a fictional manner or a fictional event represented in a factual manner

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on January 07, 2021, 04:54:39 PM
I have not yet on my own found information about a Palladium Teen Fair in the relevant timeline,

QuoteIn 1962 Promoter and Television producer Al Burton decided to create a mini World's Fair for Teen-agers. It featured Department Store fashion shows, Automobile, Art and Food booths geared toward the youth market of the 1960's. There was a Miss Teen-Age Fair contest, A Battle of the Bands contest sponsored by Vox Guitars and assorted Carnival Rides & Dance Contests.

I think I read that they took place during Easter week?  With the Miss Teen USA pagent always on the Easter Sunday?   And I think Easter was April 22nd in 1973--another April anchor to match the mayoral race.

QuoteIn 1964 the Teen-Age Fair moved the the Hollywood Palladium. The fair was from noon to midnight. Admission was $1.50.
The Teen Age Fair was a 10-day long event. It promised  hundreds of activities of special interest to teen-agers, including: surfing clinics, hot rod displays, outdoor amusement rides, midway with all the carnival booths, dance contest, a car bash and cramming contest,  yo-yo championship,  Karate exhibition, skydiving and surfing films upstairs in the balcony. The big highlight of the fair was the annual  Miss Teen U.S.A. pageant and the Battle of the Bands competition.

In 1964, it was announced that none of the jazz bands scheduled were to be paid and a riot ensued after the show was cancelled.[3]

This winners of the 1965 Battle of the Bands was Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band.
Source

There are some Youtube vids of the fair which I'll wager the Production Designer used to influence the look of the place in '73.

jenkins

jenkins

wilberfan

I was thinking the same thing.  :ponder:

Maybe the Cock posting shook something loose. (Or you're psychically connected to Sean Penn.)

jenkins

the Cock must have been influential, it must have been. though there's still a glimmer of unsolved mystery

but so the places it's known that shooting occurred:

Tail O' The Cock facsimile
A gas station
Places people live
A movie theater
A campaign office
A Valley school
Some like outdoor field?
And was the teen fair at the Palladium or somewhere else?

PaulElroy35

Quote from: jenkins on June 23, 2021, 03:30:53 PM
the Cock must have been influential, it must have been. though there's still a glimmer of unsolved mystery

but so the places it's known that shooting occurred:

Tail O' The Cock facsimile
A gas station
Places people live
A movie theater
A campaign office
A Valley school
Some like outdoor field?
And was the teen fair at the Palladium or somewhere else?

They've recreated Rathbuns, the first department store in the Valley. Another location to add to the list.

wilberfan