Unpopular PTA opinions

Started by Drill, March 03, 2020, 06:59:55 PM

Tdog

Quote from: eward on March 05, 2020, 12:50:19 PM
"Too emotionally saturate", it's a big splashy melodrama!

That's what my buddy said. I love the movie! I think it's perfect! The last time I watched it was about 5 years ago, I was having a recover day after an awful experience aith edibles the night before; I watched Magnolia back to back with There Will Be Blood (with some Chinese takeaway in between movies). Great viewing experience, comfort food movies with comfort food.

©brad

I think for my own mental health I'm going to steer clear of this thread. You kids have fun!

putneyswipe

The first ten minutes of magnolia is the greatest filmmaking he's ever done.

wilberfan

Quote from: putneyswipe on March 06, 2020, 09:25:40 PM

It's the sequence that made me sit up straight in my seat and announce to the nearly empty weekday afternoon cineplex auditorium, "WHO IS THIS GUY?!"  It's literally the moment I became a PTA fan.

Robyn

You such a frog.

putneyswipe

Quote from: Robyn on March 07, 2020, 08:08:25 AM
The first ten minutes of magnolia is the greatest filmmaking he’s ever done.

You such a frog.

"We are all connected"
"Strange coincidences happen all the time"

I know its freshman stuff, as David Foster Wallace once said, but it's true...

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: wilberfan on March 04, 2020, 03:57:09 PM
This just brought something to mind.  I have literally watched every known PTA effort more than one time with ONE exeption:  Junun.   Not particularly because I found it boring (there were parts I found rather interesting--although don't ask me to name them now).

For the Uber-PTA fans here, are there ANY projects of his you've only seen once?  And/or have no interest in revisiting?  (We can make this a separate topic, if need be.)
I hate to admit it, but I've finished Boogie Nights once (and in parts). For some reason I don't get inspired by the style, Mark, and the 'fullness' of it all. I much more prefer the more natural obtuse recent films

Also, I caught Junun at Alamo in Brooklyn. PTA, Jonny, & Co. were there for a Q&A and the band performed (and I saw Radiohead at MSG that weekend). So I certainly couldn't have had a better first viewing experience  :)

Drill

Bumping this for more unpopular opinions:
1.) I hope Soggy Bottom is not the title of the new film. Most people here seem to like it so I guess that's an unpopular take.
2.) The first music video he ever did is still by some distance his best. Probably because I think it's the best song he's done a video for.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Drill on October 03, 2020, 03:20:14 PM
2.) The first music video he ever did is still by some distance his best. Probably because I think it's the best song he's done a video for.

Including ANIMA or is that it's own thing?

Drill

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on October 03, 2020, 03:53:02 PM

Including ANIMA or is that it's own thing?

Including. Anima felt more Thom Yorke than PTA. In hindsight, I'm surprised he didn't get a co-directing credit when Danielle Haim did.

Rooty Poots

1.) I hope Soggy Bottom is not the title of the new film. Most people here seem to like it so I guess that's an unpopular take.

I have mixed feelings on the name Soggy Bottom. On the one hand, there's the strong association with the Coen Brothers so it's almost like if he named it Crazy 88 or something. On the other hand, it's silly sounding and I like it better than the other rumored name which is atrocious.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drill

Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 03, 2020, 04:44:22 PM

I have mixed feelings on the name Soggy Bottom. On the one hand, there's the strong association with the Coen Brothers so it's almost like if he named it Crazy 88 or something. On the other hand, it's silly sounding and I like it better than the other rumored name which is atrocious.

I basically agree with that. It seems too close to the Coens, especially after the constant IV/Lebowski comparisons. I think I'm a little bored of the 2-word titles as well.

I think that other title is bullshit. Not sure why that appeared on the IMDb page.

kingfan011

Paper Bag is still my favorite Anderson music video and one of my favorite things by him period.

Drill

I would've liked that video more if I liked the song. That must be my big issue with his MV work. The songs themselves. I guess these art-pop women are his Hitchcock Blondes. But Apple, Newsom, et. al are just boneless Kate Bush-es (wonder if he's a big fan) to me.

The Sapokanikan video did make me very curious about him doing a NYC-set film.

polkablues

Quote from: kingfan011 on October 03, 2020, 04:58:28 PM
Paper Bag is still my favorite Anderson music video and one of my favorite things by him period.

Couldn't agree more.
My house, my rules, my coffee