Unpopular PTA opinions

Started by Drill, March 03, 2020, 06:59:55 PM

wilberfan

This just brought something to mind.  I have literally watched every known PTA effort more than one time with ONE exeption:  Junun.   Not particularly because I found it boring (there were parts I found rather interesting--although don't ask me to name them now).

For the Uber-PTA fans here, are there ANY projects of his you've only seen once?  And/or have no interest in revisiting?  (We can make this a separate topic, if need be.)

jenkins

i think the way some people think about iv is how i think about the master. i'm like: what are you talking about, what is doing it for you, and are you sure you're sure. when i think of what there is to uncover and hear about what people have uncovered i'm like: yeah you can have that, that's yours.

idk man what sings to you sings to you

WorldForgot

Quote from: Alma on March 04, 2020, 01:15:07 PM

Unpopular PTA opinions:
- Inherent Vice is a masterpiece
- I like Haim lmao

Ditto ~
My unpopular opinion I guess iz that Inherent Vice is his best film.

Quote from: wilberfan on March 04, 2020, 03:57:09 PM

For the Uber-PTA fans here, are there ANY projects of his you've only seen once? 

Anima. Only seen it at that City Walk screening we went to ~
Meanwhile, Junun I put on quite often. Especially for friends that don't know PTA but dig Radiohead.

Drill

I don't know about best but I think The Master is his most honest film. It's no coincidence that it's his follow-up to TWBB, which tops best of the century lists, when he became the "best of his generation" for a lot of people. I view it as a very personal, self-critical work, him wondering if he's worthy of the plaudits he receives, "maybe I'm just a fraud?", etc.

Magnolia IMO is his most dishonest. It's very earnest and entertaining but it's also full of shit. It goes back to the Fiona relationship. I get why people love it passionately, but it's obvious why he's kind of embarrassed by it now.

jenkins

yeah i mean iv kills it imo. people are like oh the narrative but what about the narrative they want to grasp the narrative. first of all i think it's a rather coherent narrative it just lacks the emotional arcs and whatnot. second of all the narrative is shaped like a city and that is scrumptious

Drenk

Waterston is bad in IV. Especially when the VO says that Doc couldn't read her complex expression and she comically sobs.
Ascension.

jenkins

the movie itself is the performance

Drenk

Well, I love the movie. But that first scene should be great and it's always very awkward to watch for me. But I admit that I find her all right in her other big scene.
Ascension.

Drill

Quote from: Drenk on March 04, 2020, 04:25:57 PM
Waterston is bad in IV. Especially when the VO says that Doc couldn't read her complex expression and she comically sobs.

And "hair a lot shorter than he remembered" and she walks in with long hair. Not important, but weird to leave that in.

Alethia

That opening scene is mesmerizing. Shorter but still long hair, heavy combination of face ingredients, Thinking comes later... What else?

Quote from: jenkins on March 04, 2020, 04:18:44 PM
second of all the narrative is shaped like a city...

Lovely.

Unpopular opinion: DDL in Phantom Thread>DDL in TWBB

Freddie Dodd

Paul Dano somewhat boggles TWBB down a notch for me. I can't decide if it's just his performance or DDL chewing up the scenery that makes his performance not measure up to the quality of the film.

Magnolia is a self-indulgent mess that should be shy away from. It's a film of what not to do as an ambitious young filmmaker.

Alethia

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on March 04, 2020, 05:07:45 PM
It's a film of what not to do as an ambitious young filmmaker.

SCORCHING hot take

Freddie Dodd

The film has surfaced a backlash enough that I don't think it counts as that edgy of a hot take. It just doesn't hold up very well to repeat viewings.

wilberfan

And I like it more every time I see it.  :ponder:

Alethia

I think it's aged beautifully, warts, pockmarks, and all. Where is this backlash coming from?