The Matrix: Resurrections

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 21, 2019, 12:50:11 PM

Drenk

Ascension.

WorldForgot

Robyn

I enjoyed it a lot! I hope a fifth and six one is happening, and they go wild with it, turning everything on its head. Because it was kind of perfect as a set up for a new trilogy.

Drenk

Won't happen for economic reasons, but it pretty much felt like a coda to me. I still need to write about it in details, I feel like this is a flawed movie that I, nonetheless, connect to very much. It made me very sad!  :)
Ascension.

Robyn

I mean, it has already flopped, right? Just throw everything out the window and make a small budget version of it... The none action Matrix lol

Drenk

That exists! That's called The Sims.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Drenk was right. The third act is pretty strong. But in the end I feel indifferent about the movie; it was a wash.

I can't really say I've seen the entire movie, since I skipped all the remaining Niobe scenes. I did linger on one out of morbid curiosity though. The wavering creaky voice is bad, but the worst part is definitely the old lady waddle that JPS is doing. And the makeup, though perhaps well-sculpted, is not helping. Niobe's entire face is essentially immobile—it's just a static clay mask. Her eyes really stick out, because they're the only sign of life.

Can a Matrix nerd indulge my dumb question and explain this very basic thing to me? Why do humans have any leverage over their robot overlords? I don't understand why they get away with half of what they're doing in this movie.

WorldForgot

I kinda wish Gaming played into it more, but also I wish the film had just decided on one metaphor and ran with it; as iz, the film toys with at least three possible plots and only decides to be about romance-as-truth instead of a plot.

WorldForgot

This short film that opens The Animatrix may be my favorite piece of Matrix lore, heavily Asimov; directed by Mahiro Maeda whose work you'll recognize from Production IG's portion of Kill Bill, and as key animator for Shin Godzilla, Evangelion Thrice Upon a Time, Porco Rosso, Mad Max Fury Road:
rated R short film with some gore --

©brad

The cutaways to the first Matrix made me just want to watch the first Matrix. I found the first half interesting and the performances fine. Agree with JB, the plot gets so convoluted and not in a fun way. More crucially though it lacks an iconic set-piece or memorable fight sequence. All the action was pretty uninspired.

Robyn

That zombie set piece was amazing, though. I really admire it for doing something some people would hate instead of going the easy, obvious route. It was a choice not to put a green tint on everything and make the action stylized and cool.

I just wish they took it even further tho, which is why I want a fourth and fifth film. How much of the first trilogy is just a memory/a video game and what actually happened? I feel like there's a lot of cool stuff to explore with that for example. Something completely different in tone, etc.

Jeremy Blackman

Quick plot question...

Spoiler: ShowHide
Are all the plugged-in people doing so voluntarily? I've heard mixed claims and a lot of confusion on this.

WorldForgot

From how i understand it No, with the caveat;
Only if they've rejected the red pill. Which I assume would mean that after the Human Rebels have reached out to them, they read as "blue pilled" on IRL Scanners, the way Trinity does when they start plotting to eject her.

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm right. I don't view that as a real choice if they don't know what's real. (The rational thing is to believe you're hallucinating.) An actual choice would be getting red-pilled then deciding whether to go back to sleep.

WorldForgot

That's a complaint people have also lodged at Morpheus' philosophy in the first film. IE
; Cypher had every right to want to go back.