Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

ono

This guy wants you to know he has a thesaurus on his desk.  And a big dicktionary.

HACKANUT

It would be such a shame if they don't release this in UHD. Really hoping it's just coming later.

Yes

Deadline is estimating it's falling only 7% this weekend. 1.1m 4day gross. Almost 10m. And it's still in under 80 theaters. 5th highest theater average yesterday. It's chugging along

itwasgood

jviness02

Quote from: Yes on January 15, 2022, 02:37:34 PM
Deadline is estimating it's falling only 7% this weekend. 1.1m 4day gross. Almost 10m. And it's still in under 80 theaters. 5th highest theater average yesterday. It's chugging along

This is the first PTA movie since There Will Be Blood that my non-movie friends have actually been aware of during the release. I do not know why, but this makes me wonder if this would have been a legitimate hit (for PTA standards) if it wasn't released during a pandemic.

Yes

I think it could have did like 40ish. That's recent similar Oscar contenders like Lady Bird (48.9m), Manchester By the Sea (47.6m),  More than Jojo Rabbit (33m). Moonlight's 27m probably the floor.

Achpi

the weird thing is that the results seem kind of good (very good per theater averages since the start, small drops) but as it stands, it could stop around the master or PDL (around 17m). and the master was wayyyyy more difficult and more polarizing than this.
it all depends on the oscars and when they drop it, i guess.

Yes

Quote from: Achpi on January 16, 2022, 12:23:32 PM
the weird thing is that the results seem kind of good (very good per theater averages since the start, small drops) but as it stands, it could stop around the master or PDL (around 17m). and the master was wayyyyy more difficult and more polarizing than this.
it all depends on the oscars and when they drop it, i guess.

Yeah, 17m would not be good normally. But 17m in this climate would be. French Dispatch tapped out at 16m and Wes last few movies have hit over 20m. 17m would be better than (currently) King Richard, Last Night in Soho, Cry Macho, The Last Duel, Stillwater, King Richard, Evan Hansen and around Green Knight. The Oscar dramas that have done better are only Respect (24m), West Side Story (34m) and House of Gucci (51m)

Yes

This weekend will be its 5th weekend in the top 10. It should have 6 next weekend with nothing opening

Phantom Thread never made the top 10. 12th was highest it went which was the wide expansion.

Inherent Vice only reached 11th during its expansion.

The Master spent 3 weeks in top 10.

There Will Be Blood had three weeks in top 10. Then re-entered 2 weeks later.

Punch Drunk Love had two weeks in the top 10.

Magnolia only had 1

Boogie Nights had 3. Placing 4th is highest he's ever been

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Yes on January 23, 2022, 03:30:18 AM
This weekend will be its 5th weekend in the top 10. It should have 6 next weekend with nothing opening

Phantom Thread never made the top 10. 12th was highest it went which was the wide expansion.

Magnolia only had 1

I'm really happy with those numbers, and I bet PTA is, too. During these crazy times those numbers seem far more relevant than revenue (not that revenue has any less importance on the bottom line, and I do worry that more serious non-franchise filmmakers will struggle to get a decent budget).

The highest he's gotten was 4th—was that with Boogie Nights?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on January 24, 2022, 03:21:19 AM

Magnolia only had 1

The highest he's gotten was 4th—was that with Boogie Nights?

Yep. It hit #4 in its 4th weekend, its biggest expansion at the point. Halloween weekend. 4.68million in 907 theaters for 5600 average.

The top 10 that weekend in 97:
1. I Know What You Did Last Summer- 9.4m in 2500 theaters (weekend 3)
2. Red Corner (never heard of this)- 7.4m in 2200 theaters (opening)
3. The Devil's Advocate- 7.3m in 2400 theaters (weekend 3)
4. Boogie Nights- 4.6m in 907 theaters (weekend 4)
5. Kiss the Girls- 3.5m in 2300 theaters (weekend 5)
6. Seven Years in Tibet- 3.2m in 2100 theaters (weekend 4)
7. FairyTale: A True Story- 2.9m in 1278 theaters (weekend 2)
8. Switchback (never heard of this)- 2.7m in 1128 theaters (opening)
9. Gattaca- 2.5m in 1279 theaters (weekend 2)
10. In and Out- 1.7m in 1659 theaters (weekend 7)

What a time capsule.

jviness02

Magnolia only had 1

With everything going on in the world and the industry right now, these are really solid numbers. Phantom Thread was considered a solid financial success, so even though this won't make its money back, considering the circumstances, I think this would be considered two successes in a row for him business-wise which I think he needed after the lack of financial success for The Master and Inherent Vice.