HAIM - "Valentine"

Started by velociraptor, April 27, 2017, 09:45:40 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WorldForgot

^It's Hollywood!

Pretend play iz the name of the game ~ ;p

Drill

Quote from: jenkins on March 03, 2020, 05:41:04 PM
oh Drill

So you're talking gibberish,like a lot of your posts. Got it.

jenkins

you're not reading the tone of the room

it's common for people to insult their music which highlights the helpfulness of their friendship. the evidence is also in the thread

wilberfan

Another sign of their friendship/affection is that when I came out of the theater into the lobby at the end of the first industry screening of Phantom Thread (thanks again Matt!), Paul was standing there with two of the three sisters.  They were smiling and he looked relieved.
"When something doesn't resonate, it quickly becomes a tedious endurance test."

Drill

Quote from: jenkins on March 03, 2020, 05:45:50 PM
you're not reading the tone of the room

it's common for people to insult their music which highlights the helpfulness of their friendship. the evidence is also in the thread

But that's why I'm asking if any of these songs/videos are hits. Does anybody outside their respective followings care?

jenkins

well does the director exist outside of esoterica and is rock and roll dead in the first place what's the possibility here and what's the goal

Drill

Quote from: jenkins on March 03, 2020, 05:53:24 PM
well does the director exist outside of esoterica and is rock and roll dead in the first place what's the possibility here and what's the goal

Right, so you can't really get any "cool cred" from working with him if nobody cares.

jenkins

esoteric means liked by a limited group

i'm bouncing on this

Drill

Sorry, I just think the bulk of his career these days being mediocre music videos for a pop group is a little depressing. To each their own.

Actually, forget what I said earlier. If he wants to stay busy, I think I'd rather see him do a middlebrow studio for-hire film like a Bond movie or a Ford vs. Ferrari and see what he could make out of it than continuing doing this shit.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on March 03, 2020, 06:14:05 PM
If he wants to stay busy, I think I'd rather see him do a middlebrow studio for-hire film like a Bond movie or a Ford vs. Ferrari and see what he could make out of it than continuing doing this shit.

Maybe this small-scale, Valley or LA-centric stuff allows him to spend more time with the wife & kids and keep his chops up.  That wouldn't be a terrible choice for a priority. 
"When something doesn't resonate, it quickly becomes a tedious endurance test."

Drenk

The thing is, It doesn't matter. He does these videos because they all live in LA. It would be nice if the pop band was actually good but whatever. Actually, I really dig Valentine and the one where they dancing in a room; it just became obvious that he's home-movie the Haim sisters, which isn't always that interesting. But he did the same with Radiohead, filming Yorke and Greenwood playing in his garden. Memories. All that.
Ascension.

eward

Quote from: WorldForgot on March 03, 2020, 05:35:09 PM

Quote from: eward on March 03, 2020, 02:56:57 PM
About the kinda place I'm lookin to snag.

Sheesh, good luck, moneybagz! :P

:yabbse-grin: Probably best to scale my apartment ambitions back a tad.

Pringle

HAIM is a huge band. One of the biggest in the world right now. He is being paid very well to do these videos, and we all know that they are doubling as camera tests. Why is it hard to accept that? They have to be fucking? The weird misogyny in some of these posts is very strange. Maybe IMDB should just bring back the message boards for some of this shit.

Drill

Quote from: Pringle on March 04, 2020, 11:02:48 AM
HAIM is a huge band. One of the biggest in the world right now. He is being paid very well to do these videos, and we all know that they are doubling as camera tests. Why is it hard to accept that? They have to be fucking? The weird misogyny in some of these posts is very strange. Maybe IMDB should just bring back the message boards for some of this shit.

That was just a joke. More about him than them.

The rest, it has nothing to do with them being women. I hope they are that big and these are actually hits.

wilberfan

Was anyone else confused (and a little frightened) when she climbed up on the sink like this?   Just to wet her hair?   Do I need to add this to my list of Things Women Do I Don't Understand?

https://twitter.com/flixgr/status/1236003785379590144
"When something doesn't resonate, it quickly becomes a tedious endurance test."