Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Reel

Malignant is back up on HBOmax... I missed it's first run but I'll check it out now

WorldForgot

polkablues

They make cocaine that lasts four hours now?
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

:lol:

Powder is portable! You can keep it laid out alongside the VHS.

Reel

I'm trying to remember if I've already seen this before committing to the four hours...

WorldForgot

Alethia

The programming to beat this summer in New York

https://twitter.com/MoMAFilm/status/1536388536278167552

"In the six decades since Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho reinvented horror as a mainstream box office attraction, the genre has morphed and mutated to become arguably the most complex and radically provocative in cinema. Much like musicals and gangster films during the Depression of the 1930s, or science-fiction amid the threat of McCarthyism and nuclear war in the 1950s, horror movies reflect the major concerns of our times. They are often a testament to the plagues of escalating factionalism and disfunction in the world, to humanity's collective inability to address the conditions that threaten its future, from impending environmental collapse to racial, economic, and gender-based injustice and inequity. Rooted in reality and fueled by the fantastic, these works question the supremacy of humankind, and visualize a dizzying array of consequences for our folly. No other genre so effectively explores the mixtures of shock, fear, brutality, and grim humor that result from acknowledging the fragility of existence and accepting the ultimate end that awaits us all.

This 10-week series will highlight foundational works and key films that capture horror's uncanny ability to embody the lurking fears evoked by evolving social, cultural, and political change in the world. Organized according to fluid themes that shaped how the works were conceived—Slashers, Horror of Place, Gender and Horror, Race and Horror, the Undead, Body Horror, Women Make Horror, Folk Horror, Eco Horror, and Creatures—the series comprises more than 100 features and an international selection of shorts by seasoned masters and important new filmmakers."

WorldForgot

>B)

QuoteWe won't be waiting too long to see Terrifier 2 for ourselves. This one will screen at FrightFest on August 29th, as part of this year's Fantastic Fest in Austin, TX towards the end of September, and then hit theaters (via Iconic Events) on October 6th, just in time for Halloween. Side note worth mentioning: according to Collider, this one's gonna be hitting theaters without an MPAA rating.

polkablues

I dug the first Terrifier, but this looks like they took all the things I didn't like about it and cranked them up to 11. Shades of Wolf Creek 2, just fundamentally misunderstanding the appeal of the original.

WorldForgot

Terrifier kind of reminds me of "WEIRD TERROR" or EC Comics type stuff. And I kind of like that at the same time, it feels like that without ringing the vintage-throwback bell too loudly.

I just discovered the first one earlier this year, cuz my dad was hyping up one of the gorey scenes -- and from reading around Letterboxd it seems like its reputation has always been as an 'edgelord' horror cut? That's just what the letterboxd reviews would have me believe though. And something I appreciated about 'Art' as a character I guess is how there's no cool sheen to his design, it's as ugly and horrible as his violence.

polkablues

It's one of the great horror character designs of all time, no question. Just unsettling and upsetting on every level. But the horror comes from the friction of a surreal and uncanny character like that existing in a realistic world. When the story world of the film is as ridiculous as the character, it's not scary anymore, it's just Loony Tunes with blood.

WorldForgot

"To understand this better, the film averaged $453 per theater, which is only second to Paramount's wide-release Smile. Of the 20 new movies that opened in theaters last night, Terrifier 2 performed the second best. "

'Terrifier 2' – Uncut and Uncompromised, Indie Slasher Carves Out $400,000 Thursday Night Box Office!

Haven't seen it, but I'm very excited. Only thing that gives me pause iz its runtime. But if it's good, it could be a feast.

WorldForgot

Terrifier 2 iz certified grindhouse fun - trades the back-alley feel of the first Terrifier for the energy of Dream Warriors. Great to watch people hide their faces and ask the people next to them "what the fuck?!" as the intensity never stops building. You can't make this without going NR. And it's so rare you get to catch those at the multiplex.

Art the Clown gets a companion in this one, and she has a suuuper fun costume and make up design. Between this and Munsters I feel very happy about low budget ghastliness.

Reel

Cool, I'll try to check these out! Beginning with "All Hallows Eve". Honestly, I knew nothing about Terrifier and everytime it was brought up I thought it was legit an old 80's movie just based on the title!

WorldForgot

It's interesting cuz 2 carries over more of the ideas of All Hallows, in a sense. But it's got the effects intensity of Terrifier 1 so it's sort of the perfect blend, for me, of grindhouse sleaze and horror-heart.