PTA to direct Maya Rudulph and Fred Armisen at Largo

Started by john, July 20, 2008, 01:41:15 AM

theyarelegion

Largo is a ten minute walk from my apartment but I'm in Europe at the moment interrailing...TYPICAL!!!

SiliasRuby

Quote from: theyarelegion on July 23, 2008, 07:23:24 AM
Largo is a ten minute walk from my apartment but I'm in Europe at the moment interrailing...TYPICAL!!!
I'm looking at your new sign and I'm wondering if you are part of anonymous, or can't you say?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

I should probably fly down there huh?  Catch David Garza while I'm at it too...
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

gob

Tried ordering a while back but still no confirmation... The tension is unbearable.

theyarelegion

Quote from: SiliasRuby on July 23, 2008, 09:34:55 AM
Quote from: theyarelegion on July 23, 2008, 07:23:24 AM
I'm looking at your new sign and I'm wondering if you are part of anonymous, or can't you say?

haha, no I'm not part of anonymous

Satcho9

finally got my confirmation. I'm going to the August 5th show. Anyone else?

Stefen

So is someone going to tape it? I know you guys were joking before, but let's be serious for a second.

Isn't Largo very liberal with their taping policy?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: Stefen on July 31, 2008, 11:03:43 AM
So is someone going to tape it?

I really, really hope so. Not me, however... just found out I can't make it to either night's performance.

Quote from: Stefen on July 31, 2008, 11:03:43 AM

Isn't Largo very liberal with their taping policy?

Not at all.

That aside, omeone here should step up and give it a shot.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

©brad

Paul Thomas Anderson's Top-Secret Play Revealed

Last night in Los Angeles, three weeks after the Largo theater promised its mailing list a top-secret show that "you won't regret" seeing, Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen performed a series of light and effortless vignettes co-written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson for a packed house that included Jack Black, Paul Dano, and Josh Radnor. With live musical score provided by Jon Brion, the 70-plus minute show about love somehow found a way to be fantastically funny without any milkshake-drinking at all.

The stage was set with a few instruments on the left for Brion and two stools front and center for Rudolph and Armisen. After the audience stood up for a Spanish version of "God Bless America," the actors sat down and got right into it. First up we met a couple whose love for alcohol is at the center of their connection, then a couple getting to know each other over a complicated personality test (Armisen: "Do you often have emotional outbursts without thinking them through?" Rudolph: "What kind of fucking question is that?"), then a third couple on their first date as they discuss stuffed animals (Rudolph: "When I was little, I used to put Snoopy between my legs and just hump him so hard. I humped him and humped him until his nose broke off.").

With Anderson whisking the couples from scene to scene quickly enough that we don't dwell on individual bits, and with no story to connect the sketches, we're left with glimpses into the lives of fifteen or so couples, each with their own quirks but all with a strong sense of underlying tenderness. The vignettes, in fact, feel like sneaking a peek at P.T. Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love notepad, exploring that movie's notion that there's someone for everyone, even though everyone is a little bit weird and fucked up. Whatever the future for this show, last night it made us grin like an idiot and tell our friends, "Love is awesome, right?" And hey, only one character died. —Nick Confalone

Satcho9

I was there last night. Really great performances all around. I actually found myself watching Jon Brion do his thing a lot of the time. Last night reassured me how criminially misused on SNL Maya and Fred are (and were). Some of the vignettes worked really well...while others kinda gave a few chuckles. The great thing is that each vignette moved along quick, no one took more than 5 minutes, at then end my GF and I were disappointed it felt so short.

Note: I was sitting in the front row next to the guy who was laughing like a serial killer (I apologize if this is any of you). But he almost fucking ruined it for me. Big hysterical man-child knife wielding laughs that at one point fucked up Maya and Fred because it was so rediculous.

PPS- No John C. Reilly as reported on C&RV. What the Eff.

Stefen

I was there. I sat in the front row. It was HILARIOUS. Seriously, I haven't laughed so hard in, well, in ever. I was laughing so hard that I could tell people were getting upset at me. That's how funny it was. Some guy sitting next to me would even give one of those little 'nerd sneers' anytime I laughed. You know the kind where he'll try and let it be known that he's annoyed, but not in a confrontational way because he doesn't want to get his ass kicked?

SO FUNNY.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Satcho9

Quote from: Stefen on August 06, 2008, 10:37:27 PM
I was there. I sat in the front row. It was HILARIOUS. Seriously, I haven't laughed so hard in, well, in ever. I was laughing so hard that I could tell people were getting upset at me. That's how funny it was. Some guy sitting next to me would even give one of those little 'nerd sneers' anytime I laughed. You know the kind where he'll try and let it be known that he's annoyed, but not in a confrontational way because he doesn't want to get his ass kicked?

SO FUNNY.

Yeah. Great. That was you. I felt bad for the people who were with you. Clearly embarrassed (at one point I believe they covered your mouth up). And the guy before the show you were trying to make "connections with" when you left for a bit he was mocking you and the whole "animation" thing... So. Good luck trying to explore that avenue. And yes. I was directing my "nerd sneers" at you, as well as the other half of the front row and I'm sure countless others in the rows behind. Although it wasnt so much a "sneer" as it was more a look of disbelief that you have gone X amount of years on this earth and no one has physically attacked you at a movie or play with that laugh. You laugh like you learned what "laughing" was from a book two weeks ago and you are over compensating in order to fit in.

Seriously, Maya and Fred were glaring down in the general direction and my inner Larry David was getting paranoid they thought it was me. I'm sure you're a swell guy. Just learn to chill out.

Overall. A really great performance by Maya and Fred. Did anyone go to the second night? Did JCR show up or was the Largo source full of shit?

hedwig

hahaha i hope stefen was telling the truth, because this is HILARIOUS.

Stefen

Quote from: Satcho9 on August 07, 2008, 11:39:14 AM
Quote from: Stefen on August 06, 2008, 10:37:27 PM

SO FUNNY.

Yeah. Great. That was you. I felt bad for the people who were with you. Clearly embarrassed (at one point I believe they covered your mouth up). And the guy before the show you were trying to make "connections with" when you left for a bit he was mocking you and the whole "animation" thing... So. Good luck trying to explore that avenue. And yes. I was directing my "nerd sneers" at you, as well as the other half of the front row and I'm sure countless others in the rows behind. Although it wasnt so much a "sneer" as it was more a look of disbelief that you have gone X amount of years on this earth and no one has physically attacked you at a movie or play with that laugh. You laugh like you learned what "laughing" was from a book two weeks ago and you are over compensating in order to fit in.

Seriously, Maya and Fred were glaring down in the general direction and my inner Larry David was getting paranoid they thought it was me. I'm sure you're a swell guy. Just learn to chill out.

Overall. A really great performance by Maya and Fred. Did anyone go to the second night? Did JCR show up or was the Largo source full of shit?

How come you didn't say any of this to my face when you had the chance? Why spout it off now from the safety of behind your computer screen?

Oh, snap. I think I just answered my own question.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH *burp* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

hedwig

marquee suggestion:

"Don't Sit Next to Stefen"

or

"We Are Directing Our Nerd Sneers At You"