Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Reel

Louie's first podcast appearance back was to be on this show to talk about Kubrick, last week they did PTA!

Warning: I have not watched this and you may find Joe and Raanan's opinions to be very shitty and annoying at times

Axolotl

Quote from: Reelist on June 29, 2021, 09:23:54 AM
Louie's first podcast appearance back was to be on this show to talk about Kubrick, last week they did PTA!

Warning: I have not watched this and you may find Joe and Raanan's opinions to be very shitty and annoying at times

Is that the Joe List? Joe "Cruisin' Joe" List? Joe List the handicapped bathroom (or as he likes to call it "master bedroom") connoisseur?

Edit: Louie's pretty eloquent and accurate about TWBB.

Reel

Yeah hahaha I forgot about that one. I'm gonna wait awhile before I listen to this

wilberfan

Vicky Krieps: 'I lit a candle every day to not be nominated for an Oscar'

QuoteShe had a decent career by the time Paul Thomas Anderson came calling, but Phantom Thread – nominated for six Oscars, including best picture – really powered her towards the front of the stage. Krieps plays a waitress who gets dragged into the unhealthy obsessions of Day-Lewis's sinister fashion designer. Anderson later told her he had been drawn to her face in the decent German film The Chambermaid Lynn.

"And I said: 'But why?' And he said: 'I thought I knew you.' That's not possible. I didn't star in a movie before. So now what we think happened is that he saw me in A Most Wanted Man with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I play a very small part in it and I liked to believe I was being invisible. So it's really interesting that he remembers me from a movie where I was trying to be invisible!"

I had read that she deliberately avoided Day-Lewis before they shot the scene where his character first encounters hers in the dining room of a chilly hotel. This seemed in keeping with Day-Lewis's famously dedicated approach.

"I think I took it a little bit too seriously," she says, laughing. "I thought: this is the game. Because I thought my character shouldn't see him, I was looking at my feet and at the ground. I was hiding and running away because I thought that was the game. Later on he said to me: 'I got so scared. I was wondering: who is this woman? Why is she not looking at me?' "

So, for all the seriousness of his approach, he has a good sense of humour.

"Oh, yes. Very much. I think he is partly Irish, yes? Would you say the Irish have a sense of humour?"

Well, we certainly like to make that boast at every opportunity.

"Oh, I would say they do."

That was a strange year for the Oscars. Many felt Phantom Thread was a little too recherché for the Academy, but it ended up scoring six nominations. When fans of the film caught their breath they noted that, whereas Day-Lewis and Leslie Manville, who plays the anti-hero's sister, were on the list, Krieps's breakthrough turn had been left out. That now feels like a snub.

"I remember Daniel saying to me that he was angry I was not nominated," she says. "I looked at him and I smiled. I had started lighting a candle every morning to not be nominated. And I know I know sounds weird, but I was scared of it. I wasn't sure what it would do to me. I felt it was sort of a poison."

She will not be able to avoid attention for ever. The current year is looking like a standout one for her. Bergman Island brings highbrow attention. Old plays to the mainstream attention. Is this all part of a plan?

"Oh no," she says. "I think if I had a plan it would be the end of my job. How does an artist have a plan?

wilberfan

wilberfan

Just got home from same.  The affection they have for each other was delightful.  Warm hugs at beginning and end. 

Spoke for an hour following a really nice 35mm print of MIDNIGHT RUN.  Told some great stories--including one that "Marty" (as Paul calls him) asks Paul to tell about the bowling alley in TWBB.  You could tell Paul was a huge fan of the film in particular and the director in general.  No Q's from the audience.  (Thank God.)  Fun hearing how Grodin was cast primarily because he could go toe-to-toe with DeNiro and not get rattled.

Paul offered that "Marty was the first guy in Hollywood that was nice to me.".  Marty responded, "Yeah, and you were about seven."    "I was 17, actually..."

Tdog

Would have loved to be there but I live in Europe. Hope somebody recorded this.

wilberfan

There was a woman sitting near me in the back of the house that made an official video recording (with a DSLR) of the discussion.  I specifically approached her after and asked if they make these recordings available anywhere and she said "sometimes", but that they're essentially for the archives. 

This puzzles me.  You'd think they'd want that stuff out there--unless it spooks participants, or they think people won't show up if they know they can watch it online in a few days?

I (we) should try and get more details next time one of us is in attendance.

wilberfan

One of mine. (Pardon the potato quality.)

Tdog

Quote from: wilberfan on July 24, 2021, 09:41:32 AM
There was a woman sitting near me in the back of the house that made an official video recording (with a DSLR) of the discussion.  I specifically approached her after and asked if they make these recordings available anywhere and she said "sometimes", but that they're essentially for the archives. 

This puzzles me.  You'd think they'd want that stuff out there--unless it spooks participants, or they think people won't show up if they know they can watch it online in a few days?

I (we) should try and get more details next time one of us is in attendance.

Hmmmm I might drop them a polite Email and see if they plan in releasing it. Great photo by the way!!!!!!

Oh a question Wilberfan: Did Brest talk specifically about why he stopped making movies or is there a one word answer for that?

wilberfan

Quote from: Tdog on July 24, 2021, 10:49:41 AM
Oh a question Wilberfan: Did Brest talk specifically about why he stopped making movies or is there a one word answer for that?

Didn't come up, no....  I certainly saw all his films back in the day, but never followed his career, by name, that closely.  I just IMDB'd him--and just got your 'one word' joke.  :yabbse-grin: 

But excellent point!  Why did he stop making movies??  He had quite a run there!

Tdog

Quote from: wilberfan on July 24, 2021, 10:59:56 AM
Quote from: Tdog on July 24, 2021, 10:49:41 AM

Didn't come up, no....  I certainly saw all his films back in the day, but never followed his career, by name, that closely.  I just IMDB'd him--and just got your 'one word' joke.  :yabbse-grin: 

But excellent point!  Why did he stop making movies??  He had quite a run there!

I'd love to know why. I'm guessing he either couldn't get anything going after Gigli or else just decided "fuck it, I don't need this shit !". Maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

From Wikipedia:
Brest wrote and directed Gigli (2003), starring Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez.[9] During filming, production company Revolution Studios took creative control from him, resulting in a radically re-written and re-shot version of the original film being released.

Did they talk about PSH?

Reel