Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Sleepless on November 16, 2010, 09:35:50 AM
Recently bought Night Train To Munich (Recommend), but now kicking myself that I didn't also pick up Black Narcissus. So I'm going to buy online. In order to qualify for free shipping I need to order something else too though. Right now I'm torn between Joan Of Arc, Pickpocket and The Red Balloon - none of which I've seen. Probably leaning toward JoA, but wondered if there were any recommendations?
Joan of Arc--especially when viewed with the excellent Voices of Light score--is one of the purest, most sublime cinematic experiences I've had the pleasure of seeing. Not to detract from the considerable quality of the other two, which are both great films, I've never personally been able to get over "JoA" and I feel that it's one you should watch in haste.

Ultimately, if it's between those three films, you can't really go wrong, whatever the choice you make.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

socketlevel

Quote from: squints on November 16, 2010, 04:35:07 AM
i'm happy because

a) shock corridor is on criterion

and

b) Army of Shadows, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and Videodrome  on Blu-Ray

shock corridor was already on criterion, i own the dvd.
the one last hit that spent you...

Ravi

Their covers for Senso and Black Orpheus are awfully similar...

Alexandro

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on November 16, 2010, 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: Sleepless on November 16, 2010, 09:35:50 AM
Recently bought Night Train To Munich (Recommend), but now kicking myself that I didn't also pick up Black Narcissus. So I'm going to buy online. In order to qualify for free shipping I need to order something else too though. Right now I'm torn between Joan Of Arc, Pickpocket and The Red Balloon - none of which I've seen. Probably leaning toward JoA, but wondered if there were any recommendations?
Joan of Arc--especially when viewed with the excellent Voices of Light score--is one of the purest, most sublime cinematic experiences I've had the pleasure of seeing. Not to detract from the considerable quality of the other two, which are both great films, I've never personally been able to get over "JoA" and I feel that it's one you should watch in haste.

Ultimately, if it's between those three films, you can't really go wrong, whatever the choice you make.

JOAN OF ARC.

Stefen

I'm going to do a list of my current 5 favorite and least favorite Criterion covers.

Favorite

5. Crumb

4. Paris, Texas

3. In The Realm of the Senses

2. Days of Heaven

1. Empire of Passion

Least favorite

5. The Long Good Friday

4. The Silence of the Lambs

3. Hard Boiled

2. My Man Godfrey

1. Fishing with John

Now do yours!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Haha, Stefen, by your estimate, Criterion is putting out more memorable covers now than they were at the beginning?

Stefen

hah, Maybe. Or maybe currently I'm just feeling the newer ones more. Don't know. Regardless, Criterion has put out some shit covers. Fishing with John may be the worst cover ever made. Not just Criterion, but anything in the history of everything all-time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

edison

I find Hopscotch to be the worst ever.

Stefen

^it's pretty bad.

It looks like the opening credits of a mid to late 1980's educational program on PBS.

john

Haha. I've always secretly hoped for a Blu-Ray release of Fishing With John. It would be relatively superfluous, but at least the cover would be improved.

It's hard to find much of a consensus on any cover, really. I know people who really appreciate the Thin Red Line cover, but I find it be one of the most disappointing ones in recent Criterion memory.

I've read complaints about the BBS covers, but I'm a fan of each of them.

To each his own, I suppose.

Ultimately, said it best:

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on November 16, 2010, 02:02:50 AM

But honestly, it's a fucking cover, who gives a shit?
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

socketlevel

Quote from: john on November 16, 2010, 11:05:42 PM
I know people who really appreciate the Thin Red Line cover

like me for example

Gamblour.

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere, but it'd be worth reposting anyway:

http://fakecriterions.tumblr.com/

This totally seems like something a Xixaxer would come up with (did one of you?). I love the Gigli one.
WWPTAD?

socketlevel

point break, air bud and ernest goes to jail are my favs

Stefen

haha, those are really good. There's a whole 200 page thread on mubi where they make fake Criterion covers that's worth a look if you're into that stuff.

http://mubi.com/topics/2132?page=1

tpfkabi

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.