Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

MacGuffin

'King Kong' composer Shore replaced
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Oscar-winning composer Howard Shore has left Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and is being replaced by James Newton Howard. The move comes just two months before Universal Pictures is set to release the epic film, which bows Dec. 14 in the U.S. Jackson issued a statement Friday saying that he and Shore were parting ways because of creative differences: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Trouble trouble... thats not good 2 months before the release...

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

I gasped.

I never fucking gasp.

Ghostboy

Yeah, that's almost more shocking than Elfman's revalation about Spiderman 2 from that SG article.

Better head over to AICN to see if Knowles has started damage control yet...

mutinyco

Jeez. It's just Howard Shore. Not like he's replacing Naomi Watts or anything.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

mutinyco's right. so he replaced one hollywood score with another. the LotR score was overrated, bad even, i guess PJ decided he wants to keep audiences awake during this one. if we weren't told about this, i bet no one would even notice it's not a howard shore score.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Shore at his best is pretty non-Hollywood/recognizable.

modage

for me, its not a matter of it being shore's score or not.  its a matter of racing to a deadline and making a release date (instead of a film).  and the desperation of having to fire the composer who you've worked with for years (and just won oscars together) because he's not doing it right (which more likely means that the film NEEDS improving by the score).  so i think its an all around sign of suckage.  but, it worked for Troy, right?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Quote from: modagebut, it worked for Troy, right?

did anything work for troy?

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick and modage...shore('s) score.
don't you like saying shore score?

RegularKarate

Quote from: modagefor me, its not a matter of it being shore's score or not.  its a matter of racing to a deadline and making a release date (instead of a film).  and the desperation of having to fire the composer who you've worked with for years (and just won oscars together) because he's not doing it right (which more likely means that the film NEEDS improving by the score).  so i think its an all around sign of suckage.  but, it worked for Troy, right?

Total overreaction.

It's not a sign of anything but a disagreement.

and yeah, Shore isn't impressive.  I can't think of any movie that was HELPED by Shore's score.  Just because Cronenberg loves him doesn't mean he's great.

modage

i HOPE i'm wrong.  but it has 'fiasco' written all over it.  i guess we'll see come december...

Pozer

Quote from: RegularKarate...Shore's score.
fun huh?

Ravi

Quote from: modagei HOPE i'm wrong.  but it has 'fiasco' written all over it.  i guess we'll see come december...

I don't know about the others, but my reaction to this film so far is a big "eh."  The film may turn out to be awesome, but right now I'm not feeling it.