Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat I mean is that when something bad happens, it is given the excuse that it was "God's higher plan" and the services of that person dead is for heaven or something. I think that's the biggest comfort of fate that religious uses.
That's a bastardization, though, because you can't assign rightness or wrongness to it. Fate is not defeat, it's inevitability.

Well, my comments are mostly in the context of what people around me say in really looking at the logic of fate. I agree with you in what it means, but I just mainly get these apologists instead and for the record, I disagree with both

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhat is your fav dvd from your collection and why?

Hand downs, my L'Avventura Criterion dvd. Best pure art film I've seen yet, great commentary that really pin points the art of Antonioni in the best way I've seen a commentary address any filmmaker's art. Great essay by Antonioni himself and Jack Nicholson then reading some of the words of Antonioni and giving personal comments along with it. Really, does it get any better?

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-what actress/actor do you forsee will be huge (talent and box office appeal)?

Don't know her work too well, but Maria Bello seems destined for a good future. She's already an oscar nominee who's made credible indie films with looks to match any Hollywood leading lady so its the combination of looks plus respect that will likely be good for her. Also, an alumi of a very popular TV show so people may remember her there and make it a point to see her films.

Also, Kieran Culkin. Insanely good, he has the good fortune of coming from a talented family but not yet be destroyed by their family troubles. The last film I saw him in was Igby Goes Down and I hope he continues into adulthood of making good films and becoming a bigger star. Actually, with his talent, I expect him to.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-what film can you watch over and over and never get bored of it?

Bull Durham and Out Of Sight. Two hugly entertaining good movies for me. I guess it can't be because they are good films, but prolly cause I identify so much with the characters played by George Clooney and Kevin Costner. Actually, I am such huge fans of both actors that any decent film they have made, I likely own on dvd.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-your opinions of sean penn

Insanely talented, but overrated. He's had many great performances, but he's picky with his roles and with every role, seems to be the hope he'll match all his expectations. He doesn't a lot of times. He was good in Dead Man Walking, but his role was mostly him acting the part of tough guy. Only at the end did he have to go into a part emotional and difficult. Also, then there is a film like The Weight of Water where you feel he just had to show up. I got that impression with some other films of his, but hey, with these films, comes a Sweet and Lowdown performance that blows everything away. Thing is, he's not Robert Duvall who is just trying to work a lot of times and is given sub par material, Penn is actually in control of his career and picking his personal projects. Its just half the roles I feel he is standing around instead of progressing to what he can really do. Its kinda like when Laurence Olivier said once he was the greatest actor not cause of his talent, but of his ambition unlike any other to really tackle greatest roles he could. Sean Penn has the talent to do that, but because he sometimes stands around with his career and is not living up to his promise.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-what is your fav. trilogy in a film series.?

Tough question cause with every acclaimed trilogy, stands some weak films. Man With No Name trilogy ends well, but begins in lackluster fashion. First Godfather is great, I'd argue against the last two. Never liked Star Wars at all. Apu Trilogy is uneven and filled with some bad films...I guess I'd have to say The Die Hard Trilogy. First one is a great action film, second is pretty good and the third is just an ok film but really, when looking at all the trilogies that are not really complete in talent, i go back to Die Hard cause they are so entertaining.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Tough question cause with every acclaimed trilogy, stands some weak films. Man With No Name trilogy ends well, but begins in lackluster fashion. First Godfather is great, I'd argue against the last two. Never liked Star Wars at all. Apu Trilogy is uneven and filled with some bad films...I guess I'd have to say The Die Hard Trilogy. First one is a great action film, second is pretty good and the third is just an ok film but really, when looking at all the trilogies that are not really complete in talent, i go back to Die Hard cause they are so entertaining.

What about Three Colors?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Fernando
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

What about Three Colors?

FUCK! Thank you for the reminder. Yes, it wins and considering how chocked up that dvd is, it may be a candidate for my fave dvd as well. Its just the commentaries were okay only.

Stefen

What is your opinion of Britney Spears guide to semi-conductors?

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Do your worst.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Thrindle

GT,
   Will you watch Legends of the Fall with me when I need to cry?  And will you dance barefoot in the livingroom with me at dusk?  And will you listen to Joni Mitchell just because you know I love it?  And will you let me read to you on summer afternoons?  And will explain bizarre art films to me when I don't understand them?  Will you not laugh too hard at my expense?   :wink:

Just wondering.   :P
Classic.

Chest Rockwell

Do not exploit the GT for your own pleasantries, ma'am.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: StefenWhat is your opinion of Britney Spears guide to semi-conductors?

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Do your worst.

Do my "worst"? Your approach to this subject is disheartening, a clone of the programming our culture has set us to view Ms. Britney Spears. As with every female celebrity, from young age, we demand they look good. We demand they keep looking better as they get older in order for us to care. Britney has done that, but she also accomplished the miracle of modern day science in this new theory and not only is she in a position of not being given enough due credit, but she is given hardly any. The conspiracy fear of our society does not start and end with media corporations banning this discussion, but from the Spears herself. Here we see this little girl who's had her life detailed world wide and from the moment she was 8 years and developed these great ideas, she was slapped on her wrist by her mother for getting out of line in her training. She was a mock clone of everyone in this world who was afraid of high discussion, but thank god within the midst of doing off broadway plays at age 11, participating in star search at age 12 and then mickey mouse club the following year, she continued in her exploration. Thank God she did this admidst everything she has been exploited for, because to those few men who hit on her with the approach of giving her credit for scientific genius, ten times more likely you'll score!

Quote from: ThrindleGT,
Will you watch Legends of the Fall with me when I need to cry?

Yes, and I won't make the personal pain of watching that movie visibly present on my face. For the first hour, I will be distracted by the movie itself as it starts almost as naturally and beautifully as A River Runs Through It. When the story starts to bog down in the bad cliches of romance novel, I'll still be with you, holding you, but continually thinking of every man on this earth I deem worthy to die, bleeding thoughts of anger and violence, just to keep myself at peace. When you look at me and smile at a great revelation you felt from the film, I'll be able to smile back because in my mind an elaborate death sequence has just ended and I'm happy to imagine that God's warranted justice has been fulfilled, at least mentally.

Quote from: Thrindlewill you dance barefoot in the livingroom with me at dusk?

Yes, but is that after we eat cereal in bathrobes and throw the bowls against the wall, or after? Or is that first and then after dancing I paint your toe nails in bed, color rose red of course? Logistically speaking, its smarter for me to paint your toe nails first and then dance barefoot to help your nails dry. But, foolish me, I forgot about what order to put in the bathtub sequence, bedroom sequence and kitchen table gymanstics, but we don't want to bore everyone by getting into that.  

Quote from: ThrindleAnd will you listen to Joni Mitchell just because you know I love it?

Not only will I listen to it and give the feminist music a chance, but when she speaks of african winds coming in and I see the candle I lit go to smoke, I'll cry an inner tear.

Quote from: ThrindleAnd will you let me read to you on summer afternoons?

Yes, cause if its a quality early 20th century book from an over priced second hand book store, I'll at least be able to appreciate the richness of the words in one sense even if I'm actually bored. But if you wanna play Annie and read me Walt Witman, essays on metaphysics, I'll no doubt be happy.

Quote from: ThrindleAnd will explain bizarre art films to me when I don't understand them?

I'll catch you up on the lessons learnt of most of Italian cinema starting from the neo realisit period and through the Internal Realism period as characterized by Antonioni in the 60s and finally to the fantastics of imagery by Federico Fellini. But, for French New Wave, right now I'll just slip you the cliff notes and call myself still a learning student.

Quote from: ThrindleWill you not laugh too hard at my expense?

You know I can't promise that.

Quote from: Chest RockwellDo not exploit the GT for your own pleasantries, ma'am.

For future reference, let it be known that entrance upon this forum with any new comments must always end in the form of a question, or if you don't catch on, play it Jeopardy style. But I'd like to greet you anyways and show you door, shake your hands and...shit, 5 and half inches indeed! Sorry, dude. Just buy a bigger car and you'll be fine in self confidence.

ono

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet...a whole lot of stuff.
There's a side of GT I never thought I'd see.  Welcome one, at that.

RegularKarate

Here's a question:

At what point did you start saying "Shit" and "Dude"?

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYes, and I won't make the personal pain of watching that movie visibly present on my face. For the first hour, I will be distracted by the movie itself as it starts almost as naturally and beautifully as A River Runs Through It. When the story starts to bog down in the bad cliches of romance novel, I'll still be with you, holding you, but continually thinking of every man on this earth I deem worthy to die, bleeding thoughts of anger and violence, just to keep myself at peace. When you look at me and smile at a great revelation you felt from the film, I'll be able to smile back because in my mind an elaborate death sequence has just ended and I'm happy to imagine that God's warranted justice has been fulfilled, at least mentally.
hey, that was actually funny!  wow, i had no idea.  :shock:

GT., maybe you can tell me this: is cinephile's 50 Cent avatar ironic?  or is he being serious?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02GT., maybe you can tell me this: is cinephile's 50 Cent avatar ironic?  or is he being serious?
:waving:

NEON MERCURY

....GT....good answers on your last five..here's some more...

-what is your favorite 80's film.?
-do you like films today..or do you perfer the classics..(i.e. Casablanca)
-what type of films are most cliched??(romantic comedies, horror, political thrillers, murder mysteries, etc)?
-if you yourself could work in the film industry what profession??(director, producer, actor, etc.)
-i hate to put you on the spot..but which xixaxian do you most eagerly await to post a review on a film from??

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi hate to put you on the spot..but which xixaxian do you most eagerly await to post a review on a film from??
...me... :oops:

Gold Trumpet

-
Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhat is your favorite 80's film.?

I'm a tired song on praising this film, but only some people here have seen it: Grave of the Fireflies. The Verdict is wildly under praised and maybe the best film of the decade, but Grave of the Fireflies is closest to me and one of the most emotional and fulfilling experiences I ever had watching a movie. It just keeps getting shelved into categories keeping from people watching it. Its anime so its just a cartoon or its unkown and old and hardly talked about so it can't be that great or stylistically its kinda boring so who gives a shit. I'm glad that almost all of the people here who have seen it carry some similiar feelings along with them for the film, but its a number of people i could count on my hands. More people need to see it and I can't see myself getting tired of it ever.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-do you like films today..or do you perfer the classics..(i.e. Casablanca)

Its going to have to be classics. Casablanca isn't even that good, but past all the computer technology and all the styles redone and mixed, the older films still excite me ten times more than most films todays. By the late 1960s, it seems every style that we know had already been spoken for, had already been shown and explored and likely was going to leave  future films to trying to redo them on the measure of better quality only. The critic Stanley Kauffmann said the major shift in film came with 2001: A Space Odyssey. He said that after that film, the focus on film became on technology instead of the human face. Even considering the praise of the film, its a correct statement. 2001 is a very respectable film, but an easily exploitive film. It was only a matter of time before Hollywood would correlate the special effects break through 2001 had into a pure entertainment vehicle and the result was Star Wars, one of the most influential films ever. Now styles are being repeated and the focus is on technology. Too many movies have a casual computer feeling to it compared to older films cause most movies can't escape the influence of computers. Its just with all these films, I still find Ingmar Bergman's Persona more inventive, interesting and experimental than any film to come out in the last 5 years. Like I said, I feel all styles were discovered before the end of the 60s and during the 60s, between the old system and monopoly age, lived a decade where films were really cutting edge and filmmakers were hired on the experience they didn't have. blah blah blah, I'll just say classics.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....-what type of films are most cliched??(romantic comedies, horror, political thrillers, murder mysteries, etc)?

Horror, easily. For the life of me, I want to love horror films so much but they are so boring cause they all are so predictable. The sad thing is that my humor is closest to the explicitness of horror films and its a rare thing when I find a movie like Irreversible that I know isn't traditional horror, but at least shocking and inventive enough to really catch my interest. I just can't find any other film at that same temperature level that really excite me so I know more sick jokes than anyone should. Quentin Tarantino could make a beautiful horror film. I wish he would.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-if you yourself could work in the film industry what profession??(director, producer, actor, etc.)

Still, director. I thought producer would be nice cause all of the decisions he makes on a film and the power he has, but he sucks more dicks in trying to please people that I'd throw up after 20 minutes of having his job. Writer is beautiful for the anymonity and the creativity you are allowed to do, but your work is the mercy of a producer and director who usually want to flaunt their own ideas. Actor is for people who want to fuck everyone. I say director cause as billy wilder put it, it allows the writer to protect his material when he becomes one and as tarantino keeps saying, you can still get good pussy after it all.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY-i hate to put you on the spot..but which xixaxian do you most eagerly await to post a review on a film from?

OK, me answering this in no way says who I like best or who i think is the smartest at all..That being said, Mutinyco hands down. When he gets past his tendency to judge a film worthless and not worth his time to type a review, he has some great opinions...and thing is, I hardly ever agree with him! Not only do I think his reviews are some of the most thorough and well explained reviews on the board, but his voice is always unique and unlike many other people, comes from years of experience in the field where he is applying everything he learned to what he says and so technically, he can speak at great lengths. Considering I'm just a general viewer only, I consider myself a casual fan and in no way can I speak for the experience of filmmaking and spending hours in an editing lab the way he can. I know many people here have had this experience, but I don't think anyone really translates that experience into words the way I think he does.  His problem is that he bullies himself too much into arguments to force everyone to know the nuts and bolts of what he said and in frustation, will make the mistake of telling people their wrong on interpreting something.