Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

RudyBlatnoyd

I'm sure MGM would be more than happy to get some awards buzz, but they're probably putting their big guns behind the Ridley Scott Gucci movie instead since it sounds like a more obvious awards contender. And I don't get the impression that Anderson cares much for awards recognition either way at this point, for the reasons already outlined. He doesn't really have anything left to prove and is well enough established that he can get films greenlit by somebody or other without needing more nominations.

My main reaction was to the worry that a lack of appearances at festivals is some kind of omen about the quality of the picture. I don't buy that at all. If a festival was offered it, it seems highly likely they'd take a new PTA film even if they thought it was terrible, because he's a name who'll get press attention. After all, Cannes took Sean Penn's new movie and most reviews of that said it was very poor.

Yes

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on July 28, 2021, 04:04:55 AM
Ultimately, festival appearances and awards buzz is all just noise and immaterial as to whether a movie is any good or not. Lots of bad, quickly-forgotten films debut at prestigious festivals and lots of great movies have received little praise at the time and gone on to become classics.

PTA is now at a place in his career where I suspect he prefers to just do his own thing and not get drawn too much into 'awards conversations'. He's well-established enough and has enough friends in high places – like De Luca – that he can do the kind of work he wants to do, within a certain budgetary bracket, without playing the game too much.

A film is more than the festival it appeared at / how many Academy voters favour it with their attention for five minutes.

This is just plainly incorrect. QT, Scorsese, Spielberg.. no Director is above festivals

Festival buzz and momentum is that helps bring attention to Academy voters

If MGM didn't care about awards, they wouldn't release this prime in fall award season

RudyBlatnoyd

You think it's incorrect that a film is more than its awards buzz or festival slot?

I'm not saying that MGM don't care, but I don't get the impression that PTA does much, nor do I think that he should. If he did, he probably wouldn't make the kinds of strange, challenging movies that are typically anathema to most Academy voters.

There's far too much obsession over which films have 'Oscar buzz'. Who cares, honestly? The Academy get it wrong far more often than they get it right, and the Oscars doesn't even have the cultural importance that it once had. The viewing figures have fallen through the floor, for one thing.

RudyBlatnoyd

Anyway, that's just my two cents. No worries if others are feeling more concerned about this.

jviness02

I think everyone here agrees a little gold statue doesn't make the film better or worse. I don't think anyone here is arguing lack of festivals indicates anything about the quality of the film. I think you're adding subtext to this conversation that isn't there.

We all are rooting for this film to be a success(whatever success for this kind of movie looks like) because success means more films from PTA. During The Master press circle, Paul openly said he cared about Oscar hype because "that sort of stuff gets your next movie made".  That's all we're saying. Festivals create Awards buzz. Awards buzz leads to awards. Awards lead to the next movie.

PTA has managed to make everything he's ever wanted, but it is incorrect to assume it's been easy for him to do it. He's been open that he doesn't have a "good" reputation amongst the business side of things in industry.  There was even an article in 2014 about the state of the industry where an anonymous studio head said of WB's backing Inherent Vice "it's their turn to do that with him", insinuating it was a very begrudgingly relationship.

pynchonikon

Quote from: jviness02 on July 28, 2021, 02:37:39 PM
I think everyone here agrees a little gold statue doesn't make the film better or worse. I don't think anyone here is arguing lack of festivals indicates anything about the quality of the film. I think you're adding subtext to this conversation that isn't there.

We all are rooting for this film to be a success(whatever success for this kind of movie looks like) because success means more films from PTA. During The Master press circle, Paul openly said he cared about Oscar hype because "that sort of stuff gets your next movie made".  That's all we're saying. Festivals create Awards buzz. Awards buzz leads to awards. Awards lead to the next movie.

PTA has managed to make everything he's ever wanted, but it is incorrect to assume it's been easy for him to do it. He's been open that he doesn't have a "good" reputation amongst the business side of things in industry.  There was even an article in 2014 about the state of the industry where an anonymous studio head said of WB's backing Inherent Vice "it's their turn to do that with him", insinuating it was a very begrudgingly relationship.

Well-written  :yabbse-thumbup:

Yes

I really disagree about festivals. Unless it's a movie that's releasing end of year and wasn't ready in time or summer, it's almost unprecedented for a major drama to open in the fall without any launch. There's frankly no reason why this shouldn't be at Telluride or NYFF

Trust me, I follow this news and have friends involved in distribution. I know.

Fuzzy Dunlop

PTA has managed to make everything he's ever wanted, but it is incorrect to assume it's been easy for him to do it.

I also think it's incorrect to assume he's managed to make everything he's wanted. Who knows what projects he has sitting in a drawer because they are too expensive and he doesn't have the box office track record to get them made. If one of his films were to cross over and pull in $200m + Best Picture, I'd bet he would take the opportunity to follow that up with something big.

kingfan011

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on July 28, 2021, 04:09:20 PM

PTA has managed to make everything he's ever wanted, but it is incorrect to assume it's been easy for him to do it.

I also think it's incorrect to assume he's managed to make everything he's wanted. Who knows what projects he has sitting in a drawer because they are too expensive and he doesn't have the box office track record to get them made. If one of his films were to cross over and pull in $200m + Best Picture, I'd bet he would take the opportunity to follow that up with something big.

I would be fascinated to know if there are scripts or projects that he couldn't get off the ground because of expense etc. and we just haven't heard of them because he doesn't talk about it.

jenkins

RudyBlatnoyd is 100% right about the appreciable creative qualities of a movie being an independent topic from the financial and industry success of a movie. you guys know that too, really. and he's not anti-festivals here, he's just shittalking. there's a certain intensity going into defending the business side of things, and the business side is real, and the future of this movie is unknown

I just don't want RudyBlatnoyd to be alone in a group fight. your financial worries are valid, but your financial worries are not the totality of a reality unknown at this point. I too would be surprised if it doesn't land in a festival

jviness02

Quote from: kingfan011 on July 28, 2021, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on July 28, 2021, 04:09:20 PM

I would be fascinated to know if there are scripts or projects that he couldn't get off the ground because of expense etc. and we just haven't heard of them because he doesn't talk about it.

You're both correct that he very well might have stuff he hasn't been able to make.  He has said he hasn't ever had a project he hasn't been able to get funding for(I believe he said this in the Bill Simmons pod), but it was very possible he's just saying that.

Yes

MGM just dropped Gucci and Flag Day trailers. This should be soon. Hopefully next week with NYFF announcement!

pynchonikon

Flag Day is coming out in August, and they need to start hyping Gucci if they want it to make a profit (it's one of their main commercial vehicles of the season after all, and the trailer indicates so) . I wouldn't be so optimistic for a SB trailer that soon, hopefully we"ll get some stills though, perhaps even a teaser poster or (at last) the full cast/crew reveal.

PaulElroy35

Here we are guys once again a new month has started and still nothing officially released about the film.

Anyone got sniff of anything their end about anything that might be seen soon?

I dont think I hav ever been this excited  for a film EVER I think I'm going nuts.

wilberfan