Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

MacGuffin

Rachel McAdams joining Woody Allen film
Actress will star opposite Owen Wilson, Marion Cotillard
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Rachel McAdams is in negotiations to star opposite Owen Wilson and Marion Cotillard in Woody Allen's untitled movie scheduled to shoot in the summer.

As with most Allen movies, plot details are being kept under wraps, though the setting for the ensemble is France. Spain's Mediapro is financing and plans to sell the movie in Cannes.

McAdams' boarding comes on the heels of Allen's latest movie, the London-set "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," being acquired by Sony Pictures Classics. "Stranger" also was financed by Mediapro.

McAdams is coming off the success of "Sherlock Holmes" and has on her docket Terrence Malick's untitled movie project, in which she will co-star with Christian Bale, Javier Bardem and Olga Kurylenko. The movie shoots this year.

The actress, repped by UTA and Magnolia Entertainment, next appears with Harrison Ford in the J.J. Abrams-produced "Morning Glory," which Paramount releases Oct. 28.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen reveals details of upcoming pic
Director goes public with 'Midnight in Paris,' cast members
Source: Variety

Woody Allen has gone public with details about his upcoming film, titled "Midnight in Paris" and shooting this summer in Paris.

The usually reclusive filmmakers revealed Thursday that the pic stars Owen Wilson, Marion Cotillard, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates and Carla Bruni. Also in the cast are Michael Sheen, Nina Arianda, Tom Hiddleston, Corey Stoll, Mimi Kennedy and Kurt Fuller.

Deals for Wilson, Cotillard and McAdams had been disclosed in late March while the participation of Bruni -- wife of French president Nicolas Sarkozy – had been rumored for months but the remainder of the cast had stayed under the radar.

"Midnight in Paris" is a romantic comedy that follows a family travelling to the city for business, including a young engaged couple that has their lives transformed throughout the journey. "The film celebrates a young man's great love for Paris, and simultaneously explores the illusion people have that a life different from their own is better," the announcement said.

Letty Aronson, Steve Tenenbaum and Jaume Roures are producing "Paris," part of a three-picture financing deal between Allen's Gravier Prods. and Mediapro.

Spain-based Mediapro also funded Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and his upcoming "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," set to be released domestically by Sony Pictures Classics this fall. "Stranger" is also set to screen out of competition at Cannes next month.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

this man leaves no stone unturned. owen wilson? that could actually be a nice combination. he should work with nicholson somehow too.

Gold Trumpet

Any movie that reminds me of the charm that was "Everyone Says I Love You" is something to look forward to. Woody Allen, sentimentality and Paris is a good thing.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen shares tales of love, death at Cannes

CANNES, France - Love, death, the terrible pitfalls of aging, romance between older men and younger women — they're all part of the Woody Allen canon, whether in his films or when he's just shooting the breeze.

Allen's latest mix of comedy and drama, "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," premiered Saturday at the Cannes Film Festival, presenting an ensemble of characters dealing with familiar issues at the heart of the filmmaker's 40-some movies.

The film features Naomi Watts, Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Gemma Jones and Freida Pinto as an ensemble of Londoners coping with failing marriage, stymied ambition, the yearning for new relationships and the fear of mortality.

In a news conference, Allen addressed many of these issues, along with such matters as why he shoots films in London rather than near his home in Manhattan and why he has not costarred in his recent pictures.

• On aging: "I find it a lousy deal. There's no advantage in getting older. I'm 74 now. You don't get smarter, you don't get wiser, you don't get more mellow, you don't get more kindly. Nothing good happens. Your back hurts more. You get more indigestion. Your eyesight isn't as good. You need a hearing aid. It's a bad business getting older, and I would advise you not to do it."

• On May-December romances: "It's a good laugh-getter, and a good provocative kind of thing, so that's really why I use it. ... It gives me something that you can get good situations from and good jokes from."

• On London: "The films that I make in London I could make in New York. They would just be more expensive to make in New York. It's a pleasure to work in London, because the summers are cool, the skies are gray, good for photography. There are wonderful crews and wonderful actors."

• On not appearing in his films: "For years, I played the romantic lead, and then I couldn't play it any longer, because I got too old to play it, and it's no fun just not playing the guy who gets the girl. So unless I can think of some way to do it, no. ... You can imagine how frustrating it is when I do these movies with Scarlett Johansson and Naomi Watts, and the other guys get them. And I'm the director. I'm the, you know, that old guy over there is the director. I don't like that. I like being the one that sits across from them in the restaurant and looks in their eyes and lies to them."

• On death: "My relationship with death remains the same. I am very strongly against it."

"You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," Allen's 10th film at Cannes, spins a convoluted tale of troubled lives as Alfie (Hopkins) becomes obsessed with aging and leaves his wife, Helena (Jones), eventually marrying a young, gold-digging actress-prostitute (Lucy Punch).

Alfie and Helena's daughter, Sally (Watts), supports husband Roy (Brolin) while he struggles to finish a novel that might fulfill the promise of his first published book. Meantime, Roy falls for a beautiful neighbor (Pinto), while Sally develops feelings for her boss (Banderas) at an art gallery.

Helena finds comfort from a quarter in which Allen himself places no faith — the prognostications of a fortuneteller. Everyone needs their own little fictions to cope with the harshness of life, he said.

"I do feel that it's a grim, pitiful, nightmarish, meaningless experience," Allen said. "The only way that you can be happy is if you tell yourself some lies and deceive yourself, and I'm not the first person to say this or the most articulate person on it. It was said by Nietzsche, it was said by Freud, it was said by Eugene O'Neill. One must have one's delusions to live. You look at life too honestly and clearly, life does become unbearable, because it's a pretty grim enterprise, you must admit."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

cannes news week, hell yeah.

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 15, 2010, 10:45:29 AM

• On death: "My relationship with death remains the same. I am very strongly against it."

hahah, he's still got it!
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Adrien Brody joining Woody Allen film
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Oscar winner Adrien Brody is joining Woody Allen's all-star cast for the romantic comedy "Midnight in Paris." The project begins shooting this summer in the French capital.

Owen Wilson, Marion Cotillard, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates and Michael Sheen are among those already cast, as is the first lady of France, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy.

The film is about a family traveling to the City of Lights for business. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better. Sources describe Brody's role as "flashy."

Letty Aronson, Steve Tenenbaum and Jaume Roures are producing the film, which reunites Brody with his "The Darjeeling Limited" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" co-star Wilson.

Brody, who is repped by Paradigm and Red Hawk Management, next stars in the Warner Bros. sci-fi thriller "Splice," due out June 4, followed by the July 9 release of Fox's "Predators." He won a best actor Oscar for his role in Roman Polanski's "The Pianist."

Skeleton FilmWorks

blackmirror

Sweet and Lowdown is my favorite Woody Allen film.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's Euro-Trip Continues; Eyes Munich As Setting For Next Film
Source: Playlist

Lensing on Woody Allen's Rome-set film, "Bop Decameron," is still in progress but it looks like the prolific director already has his sights set on the setting of his next film. Continuing his European adventures, Allen is reportedly eyeing a teaming with Bavaria Studios which would see him visit Munich, Germany next summer for his next, currently-untitled and as-always mysterious film. The budget would run at around $25 million.

The stop off in Munich will follow Allen's recent ventures in Barcelona ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), London ("You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger," "Match Point," "Cassandra's Dream," "Scoop") and Paris ("Midnight In Paris") which was all catalysed by his inability to shoot his scripts in the United States due to ballooning costs. 2005's "Match Point" was, in fact, originally set in New York and the Hamptons with Allen forced to anglicize it and shoot in London. It's certainly paying off, though, with "Midnight In Paris" now Allen's biggest box office success of his career that is even drawing Oscar talk from certain corners.

Allen has no problem attracting stars for these projects either with his latest congregating strong talents from around the globe: Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page, Alec Baldwin, Penelope Cruz, Judy Davis, Greta Gerwig and Alison Pill all star with Italian thesps Robert Begnini, Antonio Albanese, Fabio Armiliata, Alessandra Mastronardi, Ornella Muti, Flavio Parenti and Alessandro Tiberi also on board for the story loosely based on the Decameron—a collection of over 100 14th century novellas by Italian writer Giovanni Boccaccio—which will involve four unconnected vignettes, two of which involve American characters in the city, the other two involving Italian cast members. The latter two segments will likely be in Italian as well.

We're expecting nothing less from Allen's next with the Bavarian capital sure to rival its European counterparts as the extra character in the director's recent run abroad. We're sure he's doing wonders for tourism as well.

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

'Woody Allen: A Documentary' will air on PBS on November 20th from 9 - 11pm, and November 21st from 9 - 10:30pm. Trailer here

tpfkabi

This looks good, thanks for the link.

I just happened to catch Sleeper on TV the other night and it was so funny. The part where he's holding the nose at gunpoint.  :yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

classical gas

Pubrick

They must be having an age-off.

Last one standing dies.

It would be like the scene with Deniro and Pacino in Heat but instead of talking they just sit there and see who can eat their mushy peas the slowest.
under the paving stones.

chere mill

Quote from: classical gas on December 04, 2011, 05:44:30 AM
Godard meets Woody Allen:

http://t.co/MEcM7Bu5  or

thanks for posting that. fun to watch. reminds me of when lars von trier talked with pta in that edition of blackbook magazine.

MacGuffin

Comedians Louis C.K., Andrew Dice Clay Round Out Woody Allen Cast
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

Deadline has picked off most of the casting of Woody Allen's upcoming film already, but the Woodman has finalized the ensemble of the film he will shoot in San Francisco. The surprise is the additions of standup comedians Louis C.K. and especially Andrew Dice Clay. Dice had an arc of episodes on Entourage, but this is a big deal for him. Here's the announcement.

NEW YORK (June 4, 2012) – Woody Allen announced today the cast of his latest untitled film. Starring, in alphabetical order, are Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett, Louis C.K., Bobby Cannavale, Andrew Dice Clay, Michael Emerson, Sally Hawkins and Peter Sarsgaard. Co-stars include Max Casella and Alden Ehrenreich. It is a Gravier Productions film produced by Allen's long time producers, Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum.

The new film will be shot in New York and San Francisco this summer. This marks Allen's second time directing in San Francisco — his directorial debut, 1969's TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, was also set there.

Allen recently won an Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay for MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. His upcoming film, TO ROME WITH LOVE, will be released on June 22 by Sony Pictures Classics.

Skeleton FilmWorks