I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

&

I've spent enough for this year.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on December 04, 2007, 04:13:56 PM
Mac, what do you do with the extras (action figures, etc.) that come with the DVDs you buy?  Do you make Jack Sparrow fight the Transformers and the characters of Ratatouille?

That's a Keith Richards figure, and he pillages The Little Mermaid wearing his Spartan helmet before King Kong rescues her in his James Bond Aston Martin.

Quote from: Ravi on December 04, 2007, 04:13:56 PM
How's the Superbad book?  The Target-exclusive book with Knocked Up was pretty good.

I knew something was fishy at my local Target. I went to go get that Knocked Up edition, but when I opened the DVD, nothing was in there. I returned it and opened the new one in front of them, and again, no book. They told me that the special features were on the disc. I had to explain that the DVD was no different than the disc anywhere else, and I wanted the Target Exclusive book as shown in the ad; that's the reason I went there. Finally the manager gave in and gave me a full refund, because an open item is supposed to only be returned for that same item. I ended up getting the playing cards at Best Buy to go with my Smokin Aces, Wedding Crashers and Ocean's Thirteen decks.

The Superbad book is okay. I'll get more out of it than the T-shirt I'll never fit into Best Buy was giving.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 04, 2007, 07:00:25 PM
I went to go get that Knocked Up edition, but when I opened the DVD, nothing was in there. I returned it and opened the new one in front of them, and again, no book. They told me that the special features were on the disc. I had to explain that the DVD was no different than the disc anywhere else, and I wanted the Target Exclusive book as shown in the ad; that's the reason I went there.

Target fucked up on the KU booklets and didn't package them with the DVDs.  They provided a toll-free number to call and they sent the booklets in the mail, which is how I got mine.

QuoteThe Superbad book is okay. I'll get more out of it than the T-shirt I'll never fit into Best Buy was giving.

The booklet is a bunch of pictures, and I have no use for the stickers, but at least I didn't pay extra for them.  The Best Buy t-shirt wouldn't look right on my Cera-esque frame.

SiliasRuby

Superbad 2 Disc
The Wire 4th Season
It's a mad mad mad mad mad world
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Went to my fave used DVD store:

Those were the best HD DVDs. I wasn't about to test my new player with License To Wed or Chuck and Larry.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

I am assuming including that pic of In the Mood for Love was an accident...certainly you've owned that for a while. And if not, what could possibly be the reason?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sunrise on December 06, 2007, 03:21:02 PM
I am assuming including that pic of In the Mood for Love was an accident...certainly you've owned that for a while. And if not, what could possibly be the reason?

When I wrote reviews for a magazine, and we had contact with Criterion, the editor kept that one. I just never got around to getting my own copy knowing it would always be available.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 06, 2007, 03:06:15 PM
Those were the best HD DVDs. I wasn't about to test my new player with License To Wed or Chuck and Larry.

Yeah I hear ya, my first Blu-Ray turned out to be Close Encounters. Watching Truffaut on the big screen & in Blu-Ray was a treat. As it turns out, the Kubrick collection on HD is not out yet in Canada :( I hope you got the DVD versions of those films, you can give us a comparison according to your setup.

SiliasRuby

The bigger question is why hasn't mac got any of the seasons of the wire yet....unless I missed a post or he didn't post them at all.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 06, 2007, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: Sunrise on December 06, 2007, 03:21:02 PM

When I wrote reviews for a magazine, and we had contact with Criterion, the editor kept that one. I just never got around to getting my own copy knowing it would always be available.
Quote from: squints on December 01, 2007, 05:13:56 PM

$20.99

I like to think that I inspired Mac.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

edison

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 06, 2007, 08:04:49 PM
The bigger question is why hasn't mac got any of the seasons of the wire yet....unless I missed a post or he didn't post them at all.

He's copying me and waiting for the complete series set.

Ravi

Your next HD purchase better be 2001: A Space Odyssey to atone for this purchase.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on December 06, 2007, 11:36:57 PMYour next HD purchase better be 2001: A Space Odyssey to atone for this purchase.

Yeah, I'm waiting for x-mas gift cards and DVD sales.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Those were the best HD DVDs.

Mac, how are the menu navigations on those HD DVDs? I am just curious to know if they're as cool as the Blu-Ray ones. I can access this menu without having to flip back from the film itself... Also the sub menus are interactively built into the menu system, you're not switching chapters on the disc all the time. Just like a flash site, menus pop down. I thought that was so cool... Almost as cool as when I first discovered chapter selection on the DVDs themselves.