Books about filmmaking

Started by jasper_window, August 13, 2003, 09:19:07 AM

jasper_window

Anyone have any good suggestions?  I'm in the middle of Killer Instinct and I love it!  I've readSoderebrgh's 2 books, the Sindey Lumet Book, Making Movies, David Mamet's book on Directing, a book about the Making of Nashville, and a few others.  I just got Dark Eye, but haven't read it yet.  Any others worth reading, or any discussion about the above mentioned.

chainsmoking insomniac

Scorsese on Scorsese (Faber and Faber)
Killer read.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Quote from: jasper_windowAnyone have any good suggestions?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1301
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jasper_window

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: jasper_windowAnyone have any good suggestions?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1301

I appreciate the redirect.  I did a search and came up with zilch.  Regardless that thread went off on a Spielberg bashing, and I'm hungry for more, if there is any of course.

Pubrick

Quote from: jasper_windowI appreciate the redirect.  I did a search and came up with zilch.  Regardless that thread went off on a Spielberg bashing, and I'm hungry for more, if there is any of course.
there's no rule against getting a thread back on topic. u could easily hav asked this question on that thread.. by starting a new one u'll just get repeat answers. it's just logical thinking.
under the paving stones.

jasper_window

Quote from: P
Quote from: jasper_windowI appreciate the redirect.  I did a search and came up with zilch.  Regardless that thread went off on a Spielberg bashing, and I'm hungry for more, if there is any of course.
there's no rule against getting a thread back on topic. u could easily hav asked this question on that thread.. by starting a new one u'll just get repeat answers. it's just logical thinking.

Being illogical, this wouldn't have occurred to me.

metroshane

I like both of Robert Rodriguez's books.  Rebel without a Crew and Roadracers.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Alethia

Quote from: metroshaneI like both of Robert Rodriguez's books.  Rebel without a Crew and Roadracers.

damn, u beat me to it.  i recommend those as well.

Vile5

Le Cinema selon Hitchcock by François Truffaut (i don't know the title in english) very very very interesting
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

samsong

insighful and amazing read... i learned a lot from it.  One of the most satisfying and enriching pieces of literature I've read about cinema I've ever read.  Currently making my way through Scorsese on Scorsese which is excellent as well.