What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Stefen

You gain points for being bold and listing the new world as your #1, but lose those points by listing donnie darko in your top 10, unless it's one of those movies that you credit for putting you on the path of seeking out good film, in which case, it's allowed for nostalgic reasons.

Good list, though. Varied, and the picks reak of elitist film nerd smuggy snobbiness, but you offset that by listing guilty pleasures. If you post more, you could possibly fit right in. How much do you weigh?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

1. mishima
2. naked
3. fitzcarraldo
4. nixon
5. the blues brothers
context, context, context.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Bram

Quote from: Stefen on October 25, 2008, 11:28:40 AM
You gain points for being bold and listing the new world as your #1, but lose those points by listing donnie darko in your top 10, unless it's one of those movies that you credit for putting you on the path of seeking out good film, in which case, it's allowed for nostalgic reasons.
I know, I hate myself for loving that film. Everytime when I accidentally end up on some emokid's MySpace page I see this fucker in the favorite films list. It's really awful. But it's indeed the fact that Darko started my love for film (yup, nostalgic) and the last time I checked it out it was still a film that stays in the heart. But for the love of it: I could've thrown Schizopolis there instead of Darko.

Quote from: Stefen on October 25, 2008, 11:28:40 AMGood list, though. Varied, and the picks reak of elitist film nerd smuggy snobbiness, but you offset that by listing guilty pleasures. If you post more, you could possibly fit right in. How much do you weigh?
Snobbiness? Trust me, I've seen much much worse in the Dutch Forum Districts. I can watch a Tarkovsky and still love to look at Will Ferrell being an anchorman. Hell, I've even enjoyed watching Cloverfield.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome... :)

SoNowThen

All top whatever lists should now carry an extra line with an asterix where you get to list just such a pick. Perfect description.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Top 6 Favorite Movies. This took me a year to really get selections and an order I was happy with. Like I said in the other thread, favorite has nothing to do with best or greatest or whatever.

1.) Diner or The Wild Bunch
3.) Bull Durham
4.) Porco Rosso
5.) Natural Born Killers
6.) The Knack and How to Get It

New Feeling

1. Boogie Nights
2. It's A Wonderful Life
3. Berlin Alexanderplatz
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Do The Right Thing
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Woodstock
8. Weekend
9. The Last Detail
10. Raising Arizona

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bram

picolas

mod's saying it's not at all unusual to enjoy cloverfield. i agree. i also agree donnie darko is one of those movies that you hate loving sometimes.

Reinhold

Good list, though. Varied, and the picks reak of elitist film nerd smuggy snobbiness, but you offset that by listing guilty pleasures. If you post more, you could possibly fit right in. How much do you weigh?

donnie darko is dated visually and and the music isn't great, but i think its' a very solid film, earning a right to be listed alongside art films in a list like this. it's one of the five on which i'm focusing for an 8-credit project i'm doing to graduate. the others are Mullholland Drive, Nagisa Oshima's Death by Hanging, Soderbergh's Solaris, and (likely) Eternal sunshine.  There are five or six other films that i'm using for support, including Tarkovsky's Solaris, 2001, Eraserhead, and Schizopolis, and Persona. I still need to see tarkovsky's Stalker, but that will likely be in there too.  [The project will be 40 pages or so of theory/criticism related to truth seeking and films that problematize consciousness.]
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

Quote from: P on October 15, 2006, 01:18:39 PM
1  Tree of Life
2  Paani
3  Mister Lonely
4  Youth Without Youth
5  the Battle Angel trilogy

man, i was way off.

okay this time i've got it:

1  The Tree of Life
2  The Master
3  The Social Network