Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Scrooby

Such a set-up recalls the prehistoric days when PTA edited his films from VCR to VCR; and recalls the production company of EWS : "Hobby Films".

PTA—shooting his "event film" as if it were a home movie!

Find Your Magali

$175M + PG-13 + major VFX indicates to me there must be some sci-fi and/or futuristic elements. Not sure why the cost would be so high otherwise. They are clearly aiming for a commercial bonanza.

Heisenberg

You can hear plenty of f bombs in the leaked set videos. This isn't pg 13

wilberfan

Quote from: Find Your Magali on March 28, 2024, 10:10:38 AM$175M + PG-13 + major VFX indicates to me there must be some sci-fi and/or futuristic elements. Not sure why the cost would be so high otherwise. They are clearly aiming for a commercial bonanza.

The notion of a blockbuster hit from PTA is rather mind-boggling, to be honest.

Scrooby

Quote from: Find Your Magali on March 28, 2024, 10:10:38 AMcommercial bonanza.

Why muse on possible grosses? An idle pastime; but also a hope. What if, say, PTA has a 2001 : A Space Odyssey–type movie waiting in the b.g., a production to ramp up only if the (previously unthinkable) opportunity arises—i.e., a colossal hit awarding him Nolanesque carte blanche?

With Leo in the picture :

2010 Inception $839 million
2012 Django Unchained $426 million
2013 The Great Gatsby $353.6 million
2013 The Wolf of Wall Street $406.9 million
2015 The Revenant $533 million
2019 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood $377.6 million
2023 Killers of the Flower Moon $157 million

Glinda the Good Witch believes Leo can absolutely still hit $500 mil and higher without breaking a sweat—with the right project;—and it helps that IMAX is in the Situation.

e.g.,

Top Gun: Maverick (2022) $1,495,696,292

The Upcoming PTA Event Film should be the smartest blockbuster of summer 2025. 

The current Situation may be the most crucial in PTA's career; possibly just-about equivalent in criticality to "getting his first break".

Find Your Magali

The most delicious irony of all would be if it becomes such a box office success that the Academy shuns it.

Scrooby

1:25:13–1:34:12

What if we receive the following images not from Licorice Pizza but as if from a serious hardcore action picture? Are the shots convincing in that alternate context?

In retrospect—the Truck scene may be absorbed as an "out-of-town" tryout for PTA's next?

Find Your Magali

I'm thinking you could absolutely have made a Cabin Fever/The Hitcher type horror film with Alana and Cooper being terrorized by Bradley.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Find Your Magali on April 02, 2024, 10:23:42 PMI'm thinking you could absolutely have made a Cabin Fever/The Hitcher type horror film with Alana and Cooper being terrorized by Bradley.

Ohh, I'd actually love to see PTA make that kind of a horror film.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Scrooby

Basso ostinato.

Gazing into fading light; aware of coming dusk and night. Tension—terror slithers in darkness. // Superimposition : Alana is the fading light. Do not go gentle into that good night!

Cooper. What's that? God, my heart is pounding.
Alana. Oh s**t. It's him.

Cooper watches in horror as his past and future catch up to him.

Heroic fanfare of synaesthetic lights : confidence, concentration, dominance. A behemoth taking baby steps—one minor blip and the whole game's up.

Alana. God, I feel your heart pounding.
Cooper. Pay attention.

Scrooby

Revolution

"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks."

"A Declaration of Independence", in Malcolm X Speaks (New York : Grove Press, 1990), 21.

RudyBlatnoyd

Anyone got any idea what's going on with this movie? Are they on a long hiatus? Have they wrapped? What's the dealio?