modage

Best Male Performance: Jesse Eisenberg in THE SOCIAL NETWORK

THE NOMINEES

Jeff Bridges - "True Grit"
Jesse Eisenberg - "The Social Network"
James Franco - "127 Hours"
Ryan Gosling - "Blue Valentine"
Ben Stiller - "Greenberg"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Awful. This was Fincher and Sorkins movie. Gosling and Franco deserved it more.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on March 03, 2011, 11:40:55 AM

Gosling and Franco were just Gosling and Franco.  I don't think Eisenberg did the best job in this movie, but he was being more than just himself.

polkablues

I disagree (EDIT: with Stefen, not RK). Franco and Gosling definitely had showier roles, but I'm more impressed with the total control Eisenberg had in his performance. It's a very internal performance, which I think he plays beautifully.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

If you knew Zuckberberg and saw him interact you'll appreciate even more how awesome Eisenberg is.

Alexandro

I voted Greenberg, but Eisenberg was incredible, really.

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 03, 2011, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: Stefen on March 03, 2011, 11:40:55 AM

Gosling and Franco were just Gosling and Franco.  I don't think Eisenberg did the best job in this movie, but he was being more than just himself.

See, I actually think the opposite. Eisenberg, a nerdy white Jewish guy played a nerdy white Jewish guy. I loved The Social Network, but one of the beefs I had with it (besides how anti-climactic it is) is the acting. Eisenberg isn't as bad as Armie Hammer or Timberlake, but I don't think he put in the best performance of the year. He just played the nerdy guy like he does in all his movies. It was based on an actual person, but it was still pretty much the nerdy guy he always plays. Yeah, Franco and Gosling couldn't play Zuckerberg, but that's not because Eisenberg is a better actor than them. It's just that Eisenberg kind of is Zuckerberg. The Social Network is a great film because of the writing and directing; not the acting.

Franco had to carry a movie. He was in 90% of the scenes completely by himself and IT WORKED. And Blue Valentine was just a complete acting showcase for Gosling and Williams (I voted for both). The hotel scene was better than anything Eisenberg did in The Social Network, and that wasn't even the best scene Gosling had in Blue Valentine. The scene at the hospital with the doctor is. I also gotta hand it to Gosling for improvising most of Blue Valentine. I just thought it was a great performance (and film) and more deserving than Eisenbergs.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on March 03, 2011, 05:11:45 PM
Quote from: Stefen on March 03, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
as bad as Armie Hammer

:shock:

lol wut? you didn't cringe when he delivers the lines, "I'm 6'5, 220 pounds and there are two of me!" and "Let's gut the frickin nerd!" and also "We can't sue. Why not? Because we are gentleman of Harvard." His delivery and acting was awful. He's pretty tho.

squints

everything i voted for this year lost (with the exception of NatPo)

guess i'll just be hanging out in the basketball thread if you guys need me  :yabbse-sad:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Quote from: squints on March 03, 2011, 05:52:42 PM
everything i voted for this year lost (with the exception of NatPo)

guess i'll just be hanging out in the basketball thread if you guys need me  :yabbse-sad:

What did you vote for in cinematography? Not Black Swan? I thought that was your flick, dude!

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on March 03, 2011, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: polkablues on March 03, 2011, 05:11:45 PM
Quote from: Stefen on March 03, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
as bad as Armie Hammer

:shock:

lol wut? you didn't cringe when he delivers the lines, "I'm 6'5, 220 pounds and there are two of me!" and "Let's gut the frickin nerd!" and also "We can't sue. Why not? Because we are gentleman of Harvard." His delivery and acting was awful. He's pretty tho.

His was my favorite performance in the movie.  By a long measure.  Haven't you ever met obnoxious rich kids who are EXACTLY like that?

polkablues

RegularKarate

I came to post that too.  I love Scott Gairdner. 

Alexandro

no way, kal.

I was complaining about eisenberg back when zombieland came out. but this is a true performance, he's in control here.
also, the delivery of the line "because we are gentlemen of harvard" is why the performance of hammer is so good. it's very hard to say that and sound sincere in a movie like this, and he does.