Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Hear me out...PTA works with quality actors, and also brings out the best in actors people don't put as much faith into.
So...that being said...and purely based on how many professional connections he shares with this person...is there a dramatic role for Andy Samberg in the future of his movies?
* Maya has been in movies with him as well as being SNL alum
* Sandler is tight with the guy
* Joanna Newsom? 'nuff said
* "The Wire" video by Haim

Maybe one of these days...or perhaps they're just bound to be friends. Just curious if anybody has anything to say regarding this potential pairing.

Find Your Magali

My sense is, at this point in his career, the two leads of Licorice Pizza are the exceptions that prove the rule. The rule being that PTA is comfortable and invigorated collaborating with Oscar-caliber actors who he can push to places that other directors cannot: DDL, Phoenix, Manville, PSH, Adams, Brolin, Penn, Cooper. Those kind of actors want to work with PTA, too. So, together, they have the power to get non-commercial pictures made.

So that's where -- though I fully understand the rumor is without merit -- a collaboration with Denzel would make sense. And he's talked of Olivia Colman. And I'd bet you that he collaborates with Joaquin Phoenix again at some point. Those two just totally share a wavelength. I also think that, if the right project surfaced, PTA and DiCaprio would jump at the chance to finally work together.

RudyBlatnoyd

Although PTA has also developed a predilection for 'introducing' unknown / up-and-coming actors to a wider audience by giving them major roles in his pictures when they've either never acted before or only in small parts in small pictures: Cooper Hoffman and Alana Haim, but also Vicky Krieps and Katherine Waterston.

itwasgood

Isn't this one of the audition rumors before Soggy Bottom? Mixed ethnic girl of 15/16 years old, anyone remember this?

RudyBlatnoyd

Martial arts experience preferred?! Intriguing. PTA gearing up to make a martial arts extravaganza would certainly be an unexpected left turn...

PTA's take on The Karate Kid, perhaps? He likes mentor-mentee dynamics, after all.

Drenk

Shooting summer 2023. Pretty fast.

https://thefilmstage.com/paul-thomas-anderson-to-shoot-next-film-in-summer-2023/

QuoteThe specific role being cast is for a 15-to-16-year-old female of mixed ethnicity who is "physically athletic and excels at Martial Arts."

So he's gonna cast his daughter?  :yabbse-grin: Googling: "How fast can you excel at Martial Arts?"
Ascension.

itwasgood

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: Drenk on November 29, 2022, 08:09:10 AMShooting summer 2023. Pretty fast.

https://thefilmstage.com/paul-thomas-anderson-to-shoot-next-film-in-summer-2023/

QuoteThe specific role being cast is for a 15-to-16-year-old female of mixed ethnicity who is "physically athletic and excels at Martial Arts."

So he's gonna cast his daughter?  :yabbse-grin: Googling: "How fast can you excel at Martial Arts?"

Lol, that did occur to me, too. Tbh, it would be pretty funny if PTA only cast his close friends and immediate family for the rest of his career.

WorldForgot

Quote from: jzakko on January 01, 2022, 04:50:39 AMI'm pretty sure he's finally making his Mortal Kombat sequel next.

More pertinent than ever.

RudyBlatnoyd

Find Your Magali

Absolutely no idea what's happening or where any of this stuff is going, but wouldn't it be fun if PTA reunited with Samuel L. Jackson for some kind of supporting role?

wilberfan

I'm having trouble processing that, if true....  :shock: