Paul Thomas Anderson - Masterworks by Adam Nayman

Started by kingfan011, October 20, 2020, 12:53:16 PM

kingfan011

So does anyone have this preordered. I have ordered months ago and was excited to get it today but amazon has delayed my delivery by a week.

I'm very curious about the interviews. I read somewhere that apparently in the Elswitt interview he gives some shade to Phantom Thread which surprised me.

wilberfan

I ordered mine Feb 12th.  Got a notice that it's out for delivery and will arrive today by 8pm...

Alethia

RudyBlatnoyd

Yes, I've received my copy and Elswit is quite dismissive of the cinematography on Phantom Thread, saying that he 'wouldn't be happy with it ending up looking like it looked'. He does say that it's his favourite PTA movie otherwise, though, to be fair. Obviously this is only speculation, but it seems like he might still feel hurt by the fact that PTA seemingly decided that he didn't need him anymore, and I can understand that. However, I think that even someone who didn't like the movie but didn't have a personal reaction to it would have to concede that it's exceptionally well-shot.

kingfan011

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on October 20, 2020, 04:02:05 PM
Yes, I've received my copy and Elswit is quite dismissive of the cinematography on Phantom Thread, saying that he 'wouldn't be happy with it ending up looking like it looked'. He does say that it's his favourite PTA movie otherwise, though, to be fair. Obviously this is only speculation, but it seems like he might still feel hurt by the fact that PTA seemingly decided that he didn't need him anymore, and I can understand that. However, I think that even someone who didn't like the movie but didn't have a personal reaction to it would have to concede that it's exceptionally well-shot.

Which is weird since it seemed like Elswitt was happy to never work with him again after whatever went down on Vice but who knows.

Drenk

There's definitely bad blood between them, not surprising after that many years working together. By the way, I consider IV as a movie shot by PTA, which was apparently already the case with The Master, and we knew that Elswit didn't appreciate that style.
Ascension.

jviness02

How many interviews are there with collaborators? I'm honestly much more interested in that aspect of the book than what I assume is the bulk of the book(Nayman's writing on the films).

Drenk

I know about Krieps, Greenwood, Elsit. The ones advertised.
Ascension.

Shughes

Interviews with JoAnne Sellar, Dylan Tichenor, Robert Elswit, Jonny Greenwood, Jack Fisk, Mark Bridges, Vicky Krieps.

Foreword by the Safdies.

It's HEAVILY illustrated and less than 300 pages, so I'm not sure how deep the writing will go. Back damn it's a beautiful looking book!

d

This actually answers the question I wanted to ask. Probably 90% of what I read I read on Kindle and was thinking of getting an ebook instead of a hardcover but in that case... It would be nice to have it on a bookshelf.

axxonn

I remember reading around on some cinematography boards around the release of Phantom Thread and there were a few comments similar to Elswits i.e. that the look was pretty unrefined and not the work of an experienced DP. Not surprised he has technical objections.

kingfan011

Quote from: axxonn on October 21, 2020, 10:55:21 AM

I remember reading around on some cinematography boards around the release of Phantom Thread and there were a few comments similar to Elswits i.e. that the look was pretty unrefined and not the work of an experienced DP. Not surprised he has technical objections.

I remember during that lighting masterclass a few months ago his crew talking about how initially it looked a lot prettier and more refined and he absolutely hated that.

wilberfan

wilberfan