HD DVD

Started by hedwig, January 06, 2006, 08:28:17 AM

john

I'd say, if it's not at least 1080i, there's probably not a considerable difference between an upconverting DVD player and a BLu-Ray player. The Blu-Ray will downgrade to whatever your TV displays.

I brought my Blu-Ray to my folk's house and played it on their TV - which, I think is 760 and compared the exact same film on Blu-Ray to their DVD player with component video and noticed no difference.

So, I'd recommend a nice little 5.1 system with optical audio... you're pictures only gonna get as good as it can right now, but your audio can sound really fucking good on a small budget. I got a 5.1 Panasonic for around $200 about a year and a half ago and I still love it. Doesn't have an HDMI hook-up, but it's good enough for my (semi) discerning tastes.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

What size is the TV? if it's under 40in, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080.

If your TV is real heavy, it's probably a CRT? The CRT HDTV's are the best imo. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. I had a CRT HD and it looked amazing. It broke and so I bought an LCD and it just doesn't look as good. The CRT was in 480i and it still looked better than my LCD 720p. I think it has to do with the glass screen. It shines more. If that makes any sense.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Yeah, if you click on that picture, you'll see the specs there... it's a CRT.

They display the blacks better for sure... it's a richer picture, BUT the resolution on a CRT is not as sharp as that of the newer flat panels.  It goes to 1080i, but I've heard that 720p is better for movie-watching than 1080i.

it's 38 inches, that's the largest HD CRT you can get... I've heard the same thing about not telling the difference on a smaller screen, but does that just go for 720 vs 1080 or does that also go for DVD vs Bluray?  I assume with Blu-ray, it's not just the resolution that the colors are richer, right?

Bethie

I learned all about the quality of 1080 today and the difference between LCD and plasma television sets. So yeah, I picked up a 42inch plasma tv today. 
who likes movies anyway

bigperm

Amazon has this now, similar to what Circuit City has been running - Samsung player for $214.44 and you get the Matrix box for free

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P1500-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B0014H16V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223821557&sr=8-1&tag=blurayforum-20

Safe As Milk

MacGuffin

Best Buy is now selling one of its Insignia brand Blu-ray Disc players for just $199, after a $30 in-store discount. That's more than $40 off the SRP. It's Profile 1.1 compatible, so you'll get to access all the BonusView features on the latest discs, though it isn't compatible with BD-Live/Internet connection. You can read more here at Home Media, and here's Best Buy's online store page for the unit.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/high-def/best-buy-sells-blu-ray-player-below-200-13728

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8777344&st=blu-ray&type=product&id=1204332499513
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

One day deal only... $139 for a Memorex.

1.1 compatible.. not 2.0... probably not the best player out there, but for the price I'm considering it.

nix

So, just to clarify, it makes virtually no sense to buy a 32 inch 1080p?
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

bigperm

Sharp Aquos Blu Player on sale at Sears for $179
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05757968000P?sid=I0084400010000100312&aff=Y
this code gets you an extra 10% off
ASEARSHOLIDAY1
Safe As Milk

Stefen

Quote from: nix on November 18, 2008, 02:41:43 AM

Not really. I mean, if you find a good deal comparable to one for 720p, I wouldn't pass it up, but you're not going to notice differences until 37 or most likely 42in.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Disney to Include DVDs with Blu-ray Releases
Source: Video Business

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will include a standard-definition DVD copy within many of its 2009 Blu-ray Disc releases, reports Video Business.

After success including a standard DVD of Sleeping Beauty within the film's Oct. 7 Blu-ray release, Disney plans to do the same with all Blu-ray titles starting with the March 10 bow of Pinocchio running through to the October rollout of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It is estimated there will be approximately seven such forthcoming standard/high-def 'Combo Packs.' Disney's Feb. 17 Blu-ray release of High School Musical 3: Senior Year also will feature a standard-def DVD.

Although Disney will face some additional cost with this dual-format strategy, the studio wants to help people enjoy the titles in more places within the home, says the trade. Families can watch the movies on their primary Blu-ray-equipped home theater systems, but also on existing standard DVD players elsewhere in the home. This expansion is similar in concept to digital copy, which allows DVD/Blu-ray buyers view titles on physical set-top machines as well as computers and portable media devices such as iPods.

"There is some expense, but we think that it is worth it," said Lori MacPherson, Disney general manager of North America. "Families now have Blu-ray players. But they don't have Blu-ray players in every room. There is now utility for all of their [DVD] players, and families aren't penalized [by not being able to use them] when they buy a Blu-ray title."

Additionally, Disney hopes to persuade standard DVD households, possibly considering purchasing a Blu-ray player soon, to upgrade to the combo Blu-ray version.

"Families planning to buy a Blu-ray player can still buy the movie now," added MacPherson.

The studio also plans to include a digital copy on 14 of its upcoming Blu-ray releases.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

WideShot

Wow interesting from a company that was one of the last to even jump on board the DVD train.

Redlum

Anyone been following the fallout from the new transfer on the new French Connection Blu-Ray? I had the release for a while but after watching Friedkins justification of the hokey image manipulation that anyone could apply in FCP/After Effects, I sold it fairly quickly opting to stick with the Fox 5-star dvd.

We all know about directors tinkering with their films to correct practical mistakes but is fundamentaly changing the entire look of a film a bigger crime against the history of cinema? Is the director god when it comes to choices like this or should there be mandatory consultation with someone as prominent as a DP? Obviously the film is ultimately the property of the studio that paid for/bought it but I wonder whether this should be a matter for the corresponding guilds, too. I mean, look at the fuss kicked up back during the colourization of Capra's films.

An untampered with transfer should have been offered, sure but what about those incidents where the original gets lost/destroyed/neglected (Lucas, I'm talking to you) - that is screwing with film history.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Stefen on November 19, 2008, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: nix on November 18, 2008, 02:41:43 AM

Not really. I mean, if you find a good deal comparable to one for 720p, I wouldn't pass it up, but you're not going to notice differences until 37 or most likely 42in.

yes!  i believe if your hdtv is over 42in....go 1080p...if not fuck it