Watchmen (HBO)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 08, 2019, 12:41:40 PM

Drenk

That was a full hour of exposition dump...An episode before the finale. Basically, it was a lifeless illustration of what we already knew—it was extremely boring, and they're wasting Regina King, forcing her to constantly ask questions...

Also: the lamest love story I've ever seen. It's basically non-existant; you have to take it for granted because it's...the plot...

Disappointing.

I was enjoying the show a lot, but three flashbacks in a row, God...

The sixth one was good. Last week: all right. This? I don't even care about the finale now, but I'll probably enjoy it more.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

This is a Lindelof show; you sign up for the flashbacks. I suppose one person's "exposition dump" is another person's... "storytelling." I can understand if you don't like the style, though.

Spoiler: ShowHide
The love story did win me over. Thought it was absolutely brilliant that Dr. Manhattan only falls in love with Angela near the very end of things, but because of the way he experiences time, he always experienced that.

My only reservation is wondering why he didn't at least attempt to save himself from the tachyon cannon. We are clearly going by Lost rules here - "whatever happened, happened." But there must be a reason he doesn't resist his fate. I assume we'll find out.

Neil

I couldn't disagree with Drenk more!

I loved the narrative structure of this episode, and technically speaking, it was all happening at the same time Relatively ;)

I'm still bummed that there aren't 9 more eps of this, but I think this set up the finale in the best possible way. Really loving this show thus far. Shaping up to be one of the best viewing experiences I've ever been apart of on a week to week basis!

We got to see where Doc has been and why, how he and Angela met, where Adrien went, why he went there, not only that but you also get the most ambitious plot advancement with Doc being hit with the Tachyon Canon. As far as flashback exposition goes, it seems like the plot sure got advanced while filling in some much needed dark spots of the narrative
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

wilberfan

I don't have a lot invested in this show, but this episode was the least satisfying for me so far.  I kept thinking, "Jesus, exposition much?!".   I preferred the episodes with less superhero-y aspects--the ones that were at least semi-plausible in character and plot.

WorldForgot

Two dope write-ups, one an interview with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II , and some excerpts:

The romantic in me wants to believe that the face his love chose became the face he saw in the mirror, the one that made Jon feel like Jon for the first time. Some could call it appropriation. Maybe there's a scientific reason I'm too ignorant to comprehend, or perhaps if you keep making that face, it really will get stuck like that. Either way, it's not a mask. For the first time, he isn't hiding. He revealed the only secret he kept from Angela, about visiting her grandfathers. He laid out a plan to keep her safe. I think he made her a god.
QuoteTwo white European men of the Silent Generation found their way to America. Manhattan, a child refugee, fled Nazi Germany in search of a safe space to start a new life. Adrian Veidt got rid of his substantial wealth and became an adventurer hell-bent on building an empire in his likeness. Jon's always enjoyed sex, while Veidt's never expressed an interest in anyone sexually. Manhattan's fallen in and out of love, while Veidt's never pursued anyone. Adrian enjoys grand costumes. Doctor Manhattan likes to strut in the buff. A lack of barriers allows them to communicate. Frequently, they arrive at the same conclusion. This is how the squid drop went uncovered. It's how Veidt avoids prosecution, and why so many people, in the world of Watchmen, live in abject terror.

and

I think she was always in love with Dr. Manhattan, but I think she began to appreciate him in the embodiment of Cal. I think Cal was always Dr. Manhattan, but he is the expression of the love within Dr. Manhattan that a lot of Dr. Manhattan's own facilities didn't allow him to bring to the front.

QuoteA lot of times, when we talk about history, slavery, and oppression, people say, "Well, that was so long ago, no one who did those things are still living, get over it." Our show shows how easy it is for trauma to travel through a lineage, to travel 100 years forward, and still be affecting people who are alive today. Trauma really does travel from generation to generation. Our show shows how it doesn't take much to do that at all. It's really a point of pride for me to be a part of show that is moving the needle and having people engage in important conversations about our people and how we got to where we are today.

HACKANUT

Remembered theres a TV forum here and was curious about the boards thoughts on this show.
I'm a fan of the original graphic novel and tend to hate these pieces of remake/redo/nostalgiafest media but still wanted to give this a chance.
Every week when the episode finishes me and my roommates agree theres something off about the whole show but its not bad enough to stop watching.
Based on the media reaction it seems like we're in the minority tho.
Hoping the last episode tonight does something to make me not roll my eyes at the end.

Drenk

A lot of eye rolls for me. It went from an interesting riff of the comic to a robotic reboot. The finale is, beat by beat, what you've known four episodes ago, explicitly shown to you, you're teleported to the next plot point, literally or metaphorically.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Drenk on December 16, 2019, 07:52:36 AMA lot of eye rolls for me. It went from an interesting riff of the comic to a robotic reboot. The finale is, beat by beat, what you've known four episodes ago, explicitly shown to you, you're teleported to the next plot point, literally or metaphorically.

I kind of agree, actually. Part of me thinks it's my fault, because I've been consuming the theories, and all the theories were true. But it's more than that. This finale was too hand-holdy. The writing was not up to par for Lindelof. And I do not think the Inception ending was useful.

Fernando

I love the way Damon Lindelof tells stories