Mindhunter

Started by wilder, December 22, 2015, 04:09:07 PM

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 23, 2017, 02:33:56 PM
You're dead on about his girlfriend though. Shame.

Just finished the season last night. The show gets better, but that character never does.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Yea, the show was very meh to me. While watching the show, I saw Fincher redo every standard of period piece filmmaking he established in Zodiac. This time he was just given a chance to do a version of that in longer form. All filmmakers enjoy certain types of stories and Mindhunter feels like Fincher returning to one of those. The show is fine in many senses and if Zodiac didn't exist, this would have felt more novel for him.

Alethia

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on October 23, 2017, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on October 23, 2017, 02:33:56 PM
You're dead on about his girlfriend though. Shame.

Just finished the season last night. The show gets better, but that character never does.

I finally finished the first season two years later and agree with Polka. Also I'm reading rave reviews of this upcoming season. Fincher is back, and I'm optimistic we'll get a solid season 2 bump. Also that trailer was great.

I'm not convinced we'll ever get a show that comes close to filling the vacuum of GoT, so we have to get our fill with stuff like this.

polkablues

The trailer gives me optimism that the producers are as aware as I am that Cameron Britton's perfomance as Ed Kemper is by far the show's strongest weapon.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

I don't understand how Manson enters the picture but I haven't even watched a second of this show, so...
Ascension.

Alethia

I'm six episodes in and am really digging it. 3 Finchers, 2 Dominiks...we'll see how Franklin wraps it all up.

Drenk

Kemper is very Kemper like.
Ascension.

wilberfan

I thought episode 5, particularly the scenes interviewing Manson and Watson especially well-written and performed.  I think I've got 3 or 4 episodes left to see...

Drenk

Mindhunter season 2.

Ugh, the subplot with the son of Bill is incredibly stupid; they really struggle to connect the personal lives with the work lives. I didn't really mind the girlfriend in season 1, even though everything that concerned her was in direct link with the cases, too. But it wasn't overdramatic. Not to mention that Bill's wife constantly sounds like a bot coming directly out of a misogynistic twelve years old boy.

Methinks they should simply stop with the personal stories.
Ascension.

Alethia

I have discovered that a most interesting real-life parallel to Mindhunter resides in the office I've been working in the past few months. Our UPM, an older American Spirit-smoking woman with a very wry sense of humor, revealed to me that she had produced back in the early 80s for HBO what was for all intents and purposes the first ever documentary on the subject of serial killers, the term having been only recently coined at the time. Chief among their interviewees was Mr. Edmund Kemper himself; all of the famous footage of him from that period - much of which provided a great deal of Kemper's dialogue in Season 1 - stems from this very documentary, therefore placing her right there in the room with him as he muses on all the nightmarish shit he made his name on. She claims they had a short-lived correspondence as well, this at the behest of whoever was treating him at the time, apparently in an effort to encourage healthier relationships with women. She also spent time and corresponded with Bundy, amongst a few other unfortunate notables. After telling me all of this, she turned to leave for the evening, then paused, chuckled, and said something under her breath to the effect of, "I oughta dig those out...".

Here's the doc, if interested:

Note: She has some cool credits as UPM and/or Producer: Leon: The Professional, Empire Records, Spanish Prisoner, a handful of Whit Stillman's....

Drenk

The world of movies is small and entertwined with serial-killers. My, oh my.

I learned that Kemper threw darts to his mother face all night long. Fun guy. And he'll go, like, "this was the eventual product of the anger I developed over the years". No shit, Sherlock.
Ascension.

Alethia

He also claims he buried the heads of co-ed's in his mother's garden out back, which her bedroom window looked out upon; he would bury them face-up, he says, because all her life "my mother wanted people to look up to her." What a wit, old Kemper.